U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-06-2008, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 18,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyoka View Post
I don't think you need a visa to stay in NY while telecommuting to your job in Norway..the time difference may make it a little impractical but if your employer agrees to it then why not. Why a year? Why not 6 months and then go back and live in Amsterdam for 6 months? You can sublet someone's room or apartment if you pay a lot up front the source of income shouldn;t be a big deal...
Well, I think 6 months would be a little too short, i think 1 year would be the minimum time that i would live there if i could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-06-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
nyoka's post makes good sense to me. If you're not taking a US job, why should the Immigration Dept. care that you're being paid in Euros. (Norway is on the euro, isn't it?) However, it might be worth running this by the US consulate near you, just to be sure.

Immigration policy in this country has gotten ridiculous. Positively paranoid. Many of us seem to have forgotten that we're not many generations away from being immigrants ourselves -- even, in the scheme of things, Mayflower descendents.

If you can find a sublet paying several months in advance, I don't see a problem.
Hmm, you bring up an interesting point (norways currency is called "norwegian kroner" (NOK)). Ill check with the US consulate here in oslo and ask them about this.

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:20 AM

7,081 posts, read 22,452,121 times
Remember, over a certain amount of cash (you can check on the ICE website) brought into the country must be reported.

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM

274 posts, read 714,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exceed View Post
I know i said i wanted to be there for a year, but it would be cool to meet a girl and live with her in manhatten and then move out to brooklyn later if we decided to have a kid or something like that...
That's very quaint. But most Manhattan women would rather die than get married and get dragged off to Brooklyn to pump out kids. Go for the college girls instead. You might be able to shack up for free.

BTW the U.S. is the most lax western nation in terms of immigration and visas.

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Well, for one year ago i was done with my bachelor-degree at a college here in norway so I wont be able to transfer over there easily now....but it would be cool to be at college in the u.s just for the girls and parties hehe.. but thats never gonna happen.. could never afford it, noone would accept it and all that stuff

Unread 05-06-2008, 03:13 PM

37 posts, read 78,366 times
Originally Posted by exceed
I know i said i wanted to be there for a year, but it would be cool to meet a girl and live with her in manhatten and then move out to brooklyn later if we decided to have a kid or something like that...

considering the benefits you have in Norway with regards to child leave and childcare and all that you'd be a fool to raise a kid here.

what part of norge are you living in now?

Unread 05-06-2008, 04:28 PM

23 posts
hey, a fellow norwegian here

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 05-07-2008 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: english only please :-)

Unread 05-06-2008, 09:54 PM

370 posts, read 825,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
free.

BTW the U.S. is the most lax western nation in terms of immigration and visas.
Incorrect. Canada has the lest restrictive immigration laws on the planet earth.

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:23 PM

44 posts, read 115,117 times
I was thinking same about canada , even illiterates from India have set up business there so you should try for canada first and then when you get canadian green card then you can move freely anywhere in the US also , it is the greatest country in the world .

Is it true that getting a visa to london is easier than new york?

When some of the hijackers were boarding planes in bostion the staff knew something wasn't right , they had no luggage , were travelling first class with no return tickers but said nothing out of fear of any racial lawsuits so this tragedy happened...

Unread 05-07-2008, 07:07 AM

826 posts, read 720,226 times
What's are healthcare facilities like in Norway? I've read recently it's pretty cheap to get medical treatment over there for tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City