U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM

16 posts, read 51,065 times
Smile Realtor vs. Craigslist

Hi,

I really need help on what to do.

I am starting to compare prices in places located in the upper west side.

What are some places I should try avoid? I am realistic and know that there are no real safe places in New York, I just want to find a place that doesn't have drug dealers 24/7, a lot of public housing, or high crime.

I am coming from the suburbs of Orange County and don't want to be scared away my first few months.

I have a budget of $2300 for a one bedroom to share with someone else.

I was looking at the posting and it looked like there are some places that have a one bedroom plus loft (sleeping area) for this amount. Are these posting accurate or are they just realtors trying to make me call them?

Should I try to hire a realtor or just find the apartment through craigslist? Are there other sites I should try to use? Since, I am a student I am on a very tight budget, and was wondering if realtors give students a discount? If so, how much? What does it take to qualify for housing? I come to realize that I will need a guarantor. My guarantor (father from CA) and roommate (he will be working) will be making close to $100K together, will this work?

I will flying to NY late July and giving myself two weeks to find a place by August. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 08:31 PM

372 posts, read 856,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanners8 View Post
Hi,

I really need help on what to do.

I am starting to compare prices in places located in the upper west side.

What are some places I should try avoid? I am realistic and know that there are no real safe places in New York, I just want to find a place that doesn't have drug dealers 24/7, a lot of public housing, or high crime.

NY is not as bad as it use to be but it still has plenty of skells to go around.
A lot of the UWS is nice but it can vary block to block the higher you go up. Some parts are pure garbage. Its really to vague of a question to answer. If you have any specific streets I can give yo a better idea. The 70s and 80s are great but maybe out of your price range for a 1 bedroom. You might need to get a studio for the nice areas. Even then I'm not sure. Studios in the village can go for 3 grand and I'm not the most informed when it comes to the UWS on a street by street basis. I would suggest you stay out of harlem. I had a sublet there in 05 on 129 and st nick terrace and it was a rough area with lots of projects. Lots of drug sales and people standing around all day and night. Usually the higher you go the worst it gets but their are some nice areas up town but for a out of towner from CA I'd suggest you not go over 116st and even there you have to pick the right spot.

I am coming from the suburbs of Orange County and don't want to be scared away my first few months.

The more money you spend the nicer the area you get.

I have a budget of $2300 for a one bedroom to share with someone else.

Tight but maybe workable. Some UWsiders will chime in on your price range.

I was looking at the posting and it looked like there are some places that have a one bedroom plus loft (sleeping area) for this amount. Are these posting accurate or are they just realtors trying to make me call them?

Realtors lie here the way fish swim.

Should I try to hire a realtor or just find the apartment through craigslist?

You do know that rental brokers will be be charging you 10% of the total annual rent upfront, right? In addition to first last and security(3xrent) All of this is upfront cash money.

Are there other sites I should try to use? Since, I am a student I am on a very tight budget, and was wondering if realtors give students a discount?

Realtors care nothing about you. If anything they may jack up the price on you since you are from out of town.

If so, how much? What does it take to qualify for housing? I come to realize that I will need a guarantor. My guarantor (father from CA) and roommate (he will be working) will be making close to $100K together, will this work?

I've never had a guarantor so I cannot say but they usually want to see somebody on the hook with HIGH income and great credit.

I will flying to NY late July and giving myself two weeks to find a place by August. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
I'd suggest you bring your check book and use craigslist. It will be a full time job finding a place here. It is misery. Pure misery. Good luck

Have you seen any specific streets that was in your price range on craigslist? Give the streets and I can give you a idea about the safety of the area.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 PM

I don't know what streets to look at. I never been to NY. I just want to know which street people try to avoid. I know in the UES people generally stay away from places above 96th street. My budget is $2300-$2500 and willing to share a one bedroom.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 PM

372 posts, read 856,301 times
And on the west side south of 118th. But you have some bad areas south of that as well.
Pretty much the 70s, 80s and 90s around Bway are gold. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. You are going to have to come here and work the phones, email and pound the streets. You have some nice places above 118 but it is hit and miss. Where ever you end up make sure you can live there at night as well as the day. Places can change at night for the worse. Since you are a student what about student housing?
Don't live near bars, nightclubs. Don't live above dry cleaners or places that serve food. Try to live close to public transportation. And check out online book stores. Their are some really great books out there for people like you who are moving to the city.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 PM

757 posts, read 2,194,960 times
I strongly recommend you use the services of a broker, especially since you have no familiarity with the city and only two weeks to find a place. If you intend to stay there, you'll find the investment (12-15% of a year's rent) well worth it. S/He'll spare you a lot of fruitlessl running around.

You might also want to check one of the roommate-finding services.

Doesn't your school have a housing office, or at least counselors to steer you away from unsavory areas?

On the West Side, it's fine up to the Columbia U. area, preferably west of Broadway.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 PM

I cannot live in complete student housing. My roommate is not a student and he will be having a full time job.

Generally, will realtors give student discounts?

thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM

757 posts, read 2,194,960 times
No, unless your school has a special arrangement with an agency.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:56 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,125,285 times
If you don't come here and look at apts yourself you will be ripped off. Period.

If you can't come here, get a short-term sublet and then figure out where you want to live once you are in the city.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:26 PM

887 posts, read 2,438,400 times
Does it have to be Manhattan. For $2300 you can live like a king (or lets just say much better) in other nice/safe places in the city? Why are you selling yourself short? You can afford a 2 bedroom in BK or Queens and enjoy yourself. I know the goal is to please yourself and I respect that, but NYC rents will never stabilize if this continues. I hope things work out for you, but the whole Manhattan or bust concept will always frustrate me. Please stop saying you are on a tight budget as well because you are not. I can show you people on a tight budet.

Last edited by ogplife; 05-06-2008 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-06-2008, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,103 times
Post own instead of rent.

I just joined and the first thread I see is about real estate. As a Realtor, I recommend Queens. It's just a "hop" away from Manhattan. With your budget, you get half the size of a studio in (a desired place in) Manhattan, while you get a two-bedroom in Queens. But why rent when you can own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City