U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2007, 12:46 AM

500 posts, read 2,130,883 times

Advertisements

Hello,

And why do you feel like you "must" own a house? Is renting a problem? Is owning absolutely necessary? Plus you do own a co-op! Not many people do so here in NYC.

As an example, my/our household income here in Midtown Manhattan is more than 100,000, we can't afford to buy, we rent and are perfectly happy. I totally don't see why so many people get that bug inside about buying.

There is this version of the "American dream" in which you rent, live in the middle of the greatest city on earth and enjoy life. There is the other, more common version, in which you move to a suburb in Jersey, pay a mortgage for the rest of your life, spend most of your time commuting in a car and miss New York. But you do own a house!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 02:40 PM

144 posts, read 423,867 times
I may not be from NYC, but am originally from Upstate NY, 3 hours north of NYC, and just got back from a few days down there during the holidays. What can I say, I love NYC like no other city. There's an addiction to the place, a feeling I don't get in other cities. I miss being close to it and not being able to visit as much, but when I get the chance I go. No other city like it, and IMO the greatest city in the world.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:51 AM

26 posts, read 30,457 times
Until January of this year ('10) I lived in Miami for 12 years and it was the worst experience of my life, way more dangerous and actually more expensive than NYC, the minute i got to NYC it was like the sun came out and birds were singing (i said it was LIKE that but there were no birds and the sun had already set). Everyday I was able to smile and mean it. I missed the weather (yes i like, no, i LOVE the cold) even though when i left miami they were actually having a "cold" winter so far. Overall, I love NYC nothing about it bothers me considering that all the negatives were exaggerated in Miami, I missed sunny summers (even though they are ALOT hotter than Miami) over the stormy, ugly weather almost every day. So yeah, I'm happy to be a New Yorker.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 AM

2,089 posts, read 721,503 times
Considering it....

Old 03-28-2010, 03:22 PM

966 posts, read 1,409,020 times
Ok, you got me. Yes, I do love New York City. Who knew? My sister used to say, "You don't miss the water until the well runs dry." So true. It took me by surprise how much of a New Yorker I really am when I moved back to my alma mater (Madison, WI). Madison hasn't been all bad. As they say in show biz, "It's been a great run." But I am coming back to NYC in August. Wish it could be sooner, but I have to save my pennies for the big move. I am dreaming of the day when I see that spectacular skyline rising up as my plane lands, and I am absolutely feening for that NYC underground poetry and music scene. I need to hit some open mics and sing in Washington Square Park. I need to hang out with my friends and take myself out on solo dates in Washington Square Diner or the Angelica. I don't miss the noise, traffic, crazy subway behavior, and crowding; but it wouldn't be NYC without those things. Maybe it's the price we pay for living in one of the greatest cities in the world. Light a candle for me.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM

8 posts, read 19,295 times
ME!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. aside from its high prices, I LOVE IT

Old 03-30-2010, 12:30 AM

719 posts, read 1,497,318 times
In my opinion if you earn enough to live comfortably and save in NY, just being in the city and enjoying everything we have here on a daily basis will make you feel like a millionaire. What makes you rich are your experiences, not your material possessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City