U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:30 PM

101 posts, read 226,540 times

Advertisements

Some of these forums can definently be pretty negative. It seems almost everyone thinks there area sucks and is going down the tubes. It is so true that there is no where in the world like NYC. No where else is there so much culture, entertainment, culinary delights, shopping, different people and awesome architecture.

Who lives in NYC and loves there city???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 01:45 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,819,258 times
I was born in New York City and, except for college, have lived here my entire life. I am one of those who loves New York. You can find anything here, at any time, and see a cross-section of the rich and diverse cultures that make this country so strong. At the hospital where I worked (I work in industry now) we had translators for at least 10 languages. I'm a first generation American and am always thankful that my parents left their homelands and came here, rather than somewhere else.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:16 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,951,270 times
Yeah but aren't you a Doctor? Of course you love NYC, because you're f'ing rich.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:42 PM

You know nothing about me. You really think that working in city hospitals pays that much? What planet are you from? My parents came here, uneducated and poor. And they managed. And did so very well. How? By working hard, saving their money and instilling a work ethic in their children.

The Morgan Stanley people - THEY'RE rich. I'm getting by. Again, you know NOTHING about me.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Mead-

Yes, it can be hard in NYC on a lower salary. BUT I have heard many say there are great things to do and enjoy the citys culture and people without spending a fortune. During some of my time spent there, I did many of those things along with some five star restaurants and entertainment. And I enjoyed the cheap/free things just as much as the other!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:11 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,922,975 times
The best sports venue for value is Aqueduct/Belmont. $1 admission and you can watch a great game. $2 on the A train to get over there and you are looking at a great afternoon of action for only a few bucks of overhead.

Learn the sport of racing well and you are making money, cashing tickets and profiting from your observations. NY has the best racing in the country on a year round basis, a true benefit of living in a world class city. Aqueduct is a great hidden gem within NYC. Every sports fan should open to their eyes to this great sport and stop being ripped off spending $100 for two tickets to a ball game. The real action is at the track and it only cost $1 to get a great seat.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:05 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,951,270 times
Honestly if you are Desi, which is what I am guessing, you need to be smacked for your comments.

Doctors make a ton of money, don't lie. You are probably making six-figures minimum, and probably much more. If not, you have just gotten out of med school and will soon be making tons of money. I have lots of friends in med school, so don't be absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You know nothing about me. You really think that working in city hospitals pays that much? What planet are you from? My parents came here, uneducated and poor. And they managed. And did so very well. How? By working hard, saving their money and instilling a work ethic in their children.

The Morgan Stanley people - THEY'RE rich. I'm getting by. Again, you know NOTHING about me.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:29 AM

500 posts, read 2,132,313 times
Default Member Mead and the Forum

I am amazed at Mead's aggressive posts here. We're talking New York stuff in a friendly way around, to help people and to have a good time sharing stories. We shouldn't be here to attack members accusing them of things such as earning high salaries. Is this serious? There are unworked personal issues, then. And they're out of place.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:12 AM

Mead, you are a stupid, ignorant person, and I fear no amount of education would ever change that. You are not worth any more of my time.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:47 PM

OK. I would love to get back to more positive NYC stories and info as that is why I started this thread.

I enjoyed Christmas in NYC this year, as usual. Though I was disappointed by the weather! I would have loved some cooler temps, but hey, it was still great. There is nowhere else I would rather spend the holidays!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City