Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 06:27 PM

149 posts, read 99,765 times

Advertisements

Its been a few weeks I have been looking online no luck, I think i need to go to a store front and find something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 08:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I've built multiple kitchens for rentals but for my main house I went with custom cabinets. All wood base cabinets and using the stock designs the door can all be replaced easily if I wanted to change the look or fix them without rebuying them.

The reason why IKEA sucks because the base cabinets are brittle and break easily. If you cook or have some crock pot underneath steaming the wood boards they use will start to flake off due to heat and moisture. They warp too easily.

Get quality wood cabinets that will last a long time and make sure they are industry sizes so they can easily be fixed or replaced.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:54 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
When I bought my apartment, it had the original kitchen from the 60s (and looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the 70s ewww). I gutted it completely, and changed the layout. I ordered my cabinets myself through a local rep for a larger cabinet wholesaler, and am glad I did. My contractor recommended going with Ikea, but my contention was that it likely wouldn't save me any money since my cabinet guy was giving me a great price for solid wood cabinets that would be delivered assembled, and anything I saved on the cost of cabinets would be cancelled out by my contractor's labor to assemble.

I became quite close with the contractor for a while in 2020 and was helping him with his business. We had a terrible time getting cabinets from Home Depot, due to major delays in manufacturing. I was on a first name basis with the customer service rep at the manufacturer lol. I will say that their Hampton Bay solid wood cabinets are comparable to what I have in my kitchen. The IKEA cabinets that he used on a few other projects looked nice but I would be wary of how they would hold up.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
When I bought my apartment, it had the original kitchen from the 60s (and looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the 70s ewww). I gutted it completely, and changed the layout. I ordered my cabinets myself through a local rep for a larger cabinet wholesaler, and am glad I did. My contractor recommended going with Ikea, but my contention was that it likely wouldn't save me any money since my cabinet guy was giving me a great price for solid wood cabinets that would be delivered assembled, and anything I saved on the cost of cabinets would be cancelled out by my contractor's labor to assemble.

I became quite close with the contractor for a while in 2020 and was helping him with his business. We had a terrible time getting cabinets from Home Depot, due to major delays in manufacturing. I was on a first name basis with the customer service rep at the manufacturer lol. I will say that their Hampton Bay solid wood cabinets are comparable to what I have in my kitchen. The IKEA cabinets that he used on a few other projects looked nice but I would be wary of how they would hold up.
If you are selling a home, go ahead and put those cardboard IKEA cabinets in. Who cares? But once you look at the material you realize you're paying thousands for cardboard. They warp once moisture gets through the coating. If you crack the wood they start breaking part. IKEA has a tendency to stop selling certain style or designs so you can't replace the doors in a few years once they stop selling the style.

Go with builder wood cabinets are much easier to replace later on. They may look more common but you can always order custom doors as long as the sizes are not custom.

IKEA cabinet doors are so hollow and feels cheap.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:43 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyaxe View Post
Perhaps you missed my post suggesting google to start out by finding something local? https://homearttile.com/product-cate...oduct_count=36
This is where I started to look for my cabinets. Once I found the ones I wanted I then called and asked local stores if the sold the style and finish I was looking for. Of course everyone wants you to come into the store in person before they take you seriously and some wont even give a quote over the phone despite giving them the exact manufacture names and cabinet model numbers.

As for that blue color, it will be hard to find. Most stores I went to had the same packages. Normal, gold, platinum. Most had the same shades of colors, browns, whites, grays, cherry. nothing crazy or unique like blue, orange, purple, etc

Give my link a try and see if something catches your eye. Toss them all into the online cart to get the estimate, contact a local store and see if they will charge more on the final bill (ordering, assembling, delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Great question, I was looking at this too and holy crap cabinets are not cheap

If anyone has a good seller for quality modern cabinets at a reasonable price (and in stock), I am also very interested
Yes, cabinets are hella expensive! I spent about 10K just for 15 Cabinets and accessories (moldings, fillers, trim, pull out inserts, etc. That didnt even include countertops, sink, faucet, and handle pulls was another set of expenses. The full length pantry cabinet alone was about $1000. When my kitchen remodel budget ran out of money I couldn't believe it, but it was the freight charges that ate a good chunk. I learned so much the hard way as a first time buyer.

Try the link I posted above. If you are in the BX I can give you the Info of the store I went to and would recommend as they will assemble them for you and deliver them to you for free (curbside only) (another lesson I learned the hard way as I thought they were going to deliver them to my apartment door not the the sidewalk on the street).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've built multiple kitchens for rentals but for my main house I went with custom cabinets. All wood base cabinets and using the stock designs the door can all be replaced easily if I wanted to change the look or fix them without rebuying them.

The reason why IKEA sucks because the base cabinets are brittle and break easily. If you cook or have some crock pot underneath steaming the wood boards they use will start to flake off due to heat and moisture. They warp too easily.

Get quality wood cabinets that will last a long time and make sure they are industry sizes so they can easily be fixed or replaced.
Most people do not realize Ikea cabinets are MDF with a laminate finish. Once cooking heat start lifting the laminate finish and the MDF begin absorbing the moisture, the will start to disintegrate.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:54 PM

149 posts, read 99,765 times
this is the closest site i found
https://www.wholesalecabinets.us/kit...campaign=ocean

if you know any spots in brooklyn let me know

Old 01-22-2021, 07:30 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyaxe View Post
this is the closest site i found
https://www.wholesalecabinets.us/kit...campaign=ocean

if you know any spots in brooklyn let me know
I have little knowledge on Brooklyn stores.

Reading up on these cabinets, they the look similar to the ones I purchased (Shaker Style) but they dont say what kind of plywood they use for the box construction

They also don't specify if the drawer glides are indivisible (undermount) opposed to side mount. Im going to guess undermount since they are soft close.

Appears the glass cabinets do not ship with the glass. I always wanted one of those as an accent cabinet to display all my beer steins, but having to clean on both sides of a 42" high cabinet glass threw that idea right out the window lol.

I wish my cabinets had the matching wall spice drawer module like these

Everything else checks out as good quality such as the dove tail drawer box and soft close draws glides and doors hinges.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:18 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Great question, I was looking at this too and holy crap cabinets are not cheap

If anyone has a good seller for quality modern cabinets at a reasonable price (and in stock), I am also very interested

If your kitchen cabinets are okay except for just being cosmetically ugly, one cheap way to update them is to measure cabinet doors and drawer fronts, then order just replacement doors, and either install them yourself, or hire a handyman to do it in about one hour (it pretty much involves only unscrewing the old doors from the hinges, and attaching the new doors to the old hinges with the same or new screws).

Old 01-25-2021, 10:53 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Perhaps you missed my post suggesting google to start out by finding something local? https://homearttile.com/product-cate...oduct_count=36
This is where I started to look for my cabinets. Once I found the ones I wanted I then called and asked local stores if the sold the style and finish I was looking for. Of course everyone wants you to come into the store in person before they take you seriously and some wont even give a quote over the phone despite giving them the exact manufacture names and cabinet model numbers.

As for that blue color, it will be hard to find. Most stores I went to had the same packages. Normal, gold, platinum. Most had the same shades of colors, browns, whites, grays, cherry. nothing crazy or unique like blue, orange, purple, etc

Give my link a try and see if something catches your eye. Toss them all into the online cart to get the estimate, contact a local store and see if they will charge more on the final bill (ordering, assembling, delivery)

Yes, cabinets are hella expensive! I spent about 10K just for 15 Cabinets and accessories (moldings, fillers, trim, pull out inserts, etc. That didnt even include countertops, sink, faucet, and handle pulls was another set of expenses. The full length pantry cabinet alone was about $1000. When my kitchen remodel budget ran out of money I couldn't believe it, but it was the freight charges that ate a good chunk. I learned so much the hard way as a first time buyer.

Try the link I posted above. If you are in the BX I can give you the Info of the store I went to and would recommend as they will assemble them for you and deliver them to you for free (curbside only) (another lesson I learned the hard way as I thought they were going to deliver them to my apartment door not the the sidewalk on the street).

Most people do not realize Ikea cabinets are MDF with a laminate finish. Once cooking heat start lifting the laminate finish and the MDF begin absorbing the moisture, the will start to disintegrate.
Thanks for the pointers. Did you ever look into buying straight from the factory? Is that even something that's possible, like showing up at the factory in North Carolina or something and filling out a purchase order?

Old 01-25-2021, 11:38 AM

603 posts, read 598,964 times
Go to Queens Flushing...

4441 College Point Blvd, 11355

There's a whole block of cabinet stores there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City