U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 AM

4 posts, read 14,266 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to move out to NY for several years but have been intimidated by the idea. Now I'm getting fired up about it again, and I've got a half-baked plan to do it and am looking for feedback. Feel free to be harsh.

Finding an employer who's willing to wait for you to give notice at your old job and then relocate is tough, and it seems New York is relatively tougher because they want people who know the area. So I want to come out first and then search from there. I'm willing to temp for a while if need be, and I'm OK with starting out staying in a hostel in an outer borough and living meagerly. But I've got a degree and five years of experience in my industry, and I'm pretty set on utilizing all of that rather than starting over in something else.

With all that in mind, how much should I save before heading out? Or what parts of this scheme are just not realistic? Would I be setting myself up for failure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 AM

15,855 posts, read 17,195,945 times
Default Good luck to you!

First of all, I don't think we have hostels here; at least not anything you can live in for more than a few weeks. Others, feel free and chime in and correct me if I am wrong. You will probably end up taking a share in an apartment.

Second, what is your occupation? A college degree and 5 years of experience is good, but your occupation may or may not translate well to NYC. You mention "they want people who know the area." I don't get that unless you are a trucker or something (but you don't need a college degree for that so I don't think that's what you are).

As for temping, what are your skills? Do you think you can pass computer software tests in things such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint? Temp agencies will test you. Do you have any admin. asst. experience? If not, office temp may not be so easy to get.

Where are you coming from? If from out of the country, you are going to need a work visa sponsored by an employer. Come over on a visitor/vacation visa and look for jobs first.

It's not unrealistic; a lot of people come to NY this way. Save as much $$ as you can first of course before making the big move: initial rent and security deposit (you will know what that should be by looking at real estate ads) and at least couple of months' living expenses.

I would strongly suggest taking a vacation here to look for jobs and a place to live before you make the big move.

You can always ask questions here as you go along, especially about neighborhoods to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv89 View Post
I've been wanting to move out to NY for several years but have been intimidated by the idea. Now I'm getting fired up about it again, and I've got a half-baked plan to do it and am looking for feedback. Feel free to be harsh.

Finding an employer who's willing to wait for you to give notice at your old job and then relocate is tough, and it seems New York is relatively tougher because they want people who know the area. So I want to come out first and then search from there. I'm willing to temp for a while if need be, and I'm OK with starting out staying in a hostel in an outer borough and living meagerly. But I've got a degree and five years of experience in my industry, and I'm pretty set on utilizing all of that rather than starting over in something else.

With all that in mind, how much should I save before heading out? Or what parts of this scheme are just not realistic? Would I be setting myself up for failure?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 AM

274 posts, read 779,284 times
Why?

What's so special about NYC that you're willing to blow through all your money and savings just to live "meagerly" in some outerborough? Have you visited these outerboroughs?

When you remove Manhattan, there are dozens of other urban cities that will give you the same miserly living experience for a cheaper price. So I take it that you must want to come to NYC for Manhattan?

Personally, I don't think Manhattan is all that great if you have no job and are living meagerly in an outerborough. Are you an actor, dancer, musician, or artist? At least that's a better reason to be living poorly in NYC, other than just for the sake in living poorly in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv89 View Post

Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,840,623 times
I found that looking for a job here b/f I moved here was difficult, so I did kind of what you are speaking of. I took a job just to get myself here, so I could then look for the job I actually wanted. I did inform my first place of employment that I would not be staying more than a couple of months to be fair, they were just really busy and needed people asap and paid me what I wanted. It was much easier to look for a job once I was here. However, I spent a YEAR after being accepted to school researching NYC b/f I ever moved here. So I would not move here w/out a job at all, but I think moving here with a temp job to look for a job is not such a bad way to do things. With 5 years experience in your field, I would think you could find a job or a temp job. I think you need to research your field and see how much it pays here to know if its realistic for you.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 AM

44 posts, read 125,348 times
NYC is rat's race and competition is fierce , but you can go for it if you want .. what does your heart say?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 14,266 times
Default Newsperson

My experience is in newspaper editing and production. NY has lots of publications, and my skills are somewhat specialized, so I'm optimistic that I'd be able to find something to my liking once I was there. It's just tough to do from the Rockies.

You're right about the temping skills. I'm not a super-quick typist and haven't spent a lot of time making spreadsheets and entering data. But I am experienced with management in an office.

Does anybody know anything about working in NY with the skills I'm describing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Second, what is your occupation? A college degree and 5 years of experience is good, but your occupation may or may not translate well to NYC. You mention "they want people who know the area." I don't get that unless you are a trucker or something (but you don't need a college degree for that so I don't think that's what you are).

As for temping, what are your skills? Do you think you can pass computer software tests in things such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint? Temp agencies will test you. Do you have any admin. asst. experience? If not, office temp may not be so easy to get.

Where are you coming from? If from out of the country, you are going to need a work visa sponsored by an employer. Come over on a visitor/vacation visa and look for jobs first.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 15,023 times
There are some weekly hostels in manhattan that will run you from $200-$250 a week, but they're very small and dirty. I would definitely try getting a job, or at least some interviews lined up first, that way you can get a sense of what your industry's needs are and how difficult it will be to find something. You will NOT want to stay at one of those hostels longer than 3 days and it's extremely hard to get an apartment without income there. I was in the same predicament in January and I somehow found a room in Astoria and didn't sign a lease, but I would not recommend doing that. How close are you to NY? Would making a trip there to do interviews make financial sense? If you could do that then you would help yourself out a lot.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:44 PM

508 posts, read 1,476,389 times
In my own experience you have to just make a leap of faith and move here. NYC employers are notoriously picky about only hiring local candidates. I think this is because so many people want to live here but employers can't be sure they will all follow through on their move plans. The complications of finding a place here, the costs, and the overall headache of moving here is enough to deter many people. Employers are just protecting themselves by hiring locally.

Save up a bunch of money and try to find a cheap sublet or temporary roommate situation while you job hunt. I wouldn't move here with less than 6-7k and that is a bare bones few months rent in an outer borough while you look for a job.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM

757 posts, read 2,316,469 times
With your skills, you might be able to freelance. Can you start making contacts now and telecommuting before you move? I'm guessing that there are pr and advertising firms, even corporations, that frequently use freelancers to lay out newsletters, etc. If you start with that, at least you'll have people familiar with your work before you get here.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:36 PM

923 posts, read 2,484,871 times
There actually are opportunities for temp and freelance work in your area. Most of the work tends to come from the ad agencies and web design shops. There are some editorial opportunities however.

There are several agencies that specialize on temp work for the advertising/publishing industries. They do permanent placements too. I have personal experience with two firms that I consider reputable:

Creative Circle
TTS Personnel

However, you would need to be here in NYC work with these companies. They operate on very quick timeframes -- as in, "are you available for a one month assignment starting in tomorrow?"

You might also consider trying to find a temp agency that specializes in PR firms. There is probably one out there. Your newspaper experience might be a better fit in PR.

The entire industry is moving towards a freelance/temp basis - and something they call "permalance" So, if you are good, you can go from one temporary assignment to the next for as long as you like.

Also, you mentioned specialized experience. Use this to your advantage by targeting specific employers that could use your specialized skills. Sometimes a company will create a position for a person who is an exceptionally good match. (It happened to me!).

Other than that -- take Jeffcon's advice and find a sublet or roommate situation and bring several thousand in living expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City