Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:24 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
As far as your comments about letting the confederacy win, I can't tell if that's a slight at people like myself who are from the South. Honestly, it sounds like you're implying that we're less intelligent and/or the values of the two parts of the country are so different that they should be separate. Clarify that if you get a chance, because I hope it's not the former.
It's meant mostly in jest, but it is definitely the latter. It's a question of the values and the culture, certainly not any suggestion that people from anywhere else are less intelligent. It's meant more as a joke than a slight. After the last presidential election, the Times had a story in which a woman said New York is "an island off the coast of Europe" and I find that true in many ways. In the time I have spent in America outside of the NYC-Boston-DC corridor, Chicago, and major west coast cities, I've felt as if everything was alien to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:35 PM

181 posts, read 866,582 times
I'm from Houston and I feel the same way when I go to podunk little towns. I've lived in D.C. (only for a summer) as well, and loved it. And it better be in jest, because I know where you live

Old 06-05-2008, 06:28 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
Of course access to oil is always a very big concern for us, and it should be.
But had we paid half a mind to Carter in the '70s, we could have lessened (but obviously not eliminated) our dependence on it. We should by now have converted more of our energy production than we have to renewable sources. It's a national disgrace.
Quote:
I don't think we went over there to "secure access" as that implies something that I don't think was the idea. A better way to word it would be that a part of the reason we went in was to ensure that we weren't cut off from that resource
That's all I meant. I don't know what else is implied by "secur(ing) access."

Still, as holden so eloquently pointed out, while 20 terrorists wreaked havoc on us, broke our hearts and enraged us, they were exploited as an excuse to invade a country with which their group was not (then) associated. And given the conflicting intelligence -- yes, there is evidence of WMDs/no, no trace WMDs to be found -- we could have poured our resources into routing out bin Laden and not squandered lives; national stature; trillions better used for healthcare, education, mass transit, alternative energy; the whole economy (am I leaving anything out?) on this uncalled for and, for the most part, ineptly conducted war.

Apologies for that last sentence. I've made myself too angry to edit it.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:26 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
You'll be paying more with either one.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:21 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,430 times
We're always paying more, either collectively (as a city/state/nation) or individually. The ratio may sometimes work for you, sometimes against you. But to the degree that we can spread it around, it impacts each of us less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City