Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 05:57 PM

33,374 posts, read 46,784,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Depending on who you're talking to, that stretch of Fulton from Franklin to the Clinton Hill border may be just a single block and that block wouldn't be notably bougie or rough but would feature quite a bit of new construction--my memories of that part of Bed-Stuy about a decade ago when I first arrived are hazy, but I'm guessing your impression might be from back then when those buildings weren't there yet.

I took the liberty of finding that block on streetview going back as far as it goes to 2009, and indeed, those buildings weren't there before: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6816...7i13312!8i6656

Not the nicest block in the neighborhood, but wouldn't say its rough and it is pretty close to some very nice blocks. It's also close to this mural of ODB that's always made an impression on me which is now across the street from one of the better Mexican restaurants in the neighborhood and close to this good and divey long-standing neighborhood bar.

I agree that Stuyvesant Heights is very nice and seems to have been so for a very long time. I remember it confounded me a bit because I was told the general notion that going out east further from Manhattan in the area meant it would get rougher and rougher, so there was a bit of confusion when an acquaintance who seemed to be pretty well settled and heeled moved out there and invited me over since it was further east than to what seemed to me were pretty rough parts of the city back then. Turned out the area was about as quaint as it comes.
Well its true, the rough areas of Bed-Stuy are to the north and east mostly. But there's scattered blocks throughout that are rough, it's a big neighborhood.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 06:10 PM

867 posts, read 404,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post

Is "out of state suburban" codeword for white?
No, out of state suburban is out of state suburban and not all of them are white, matter of fact many are black and Asians, but it has more to do with wealthy college kids or postgraduate.
If and when they are white they are a certain type of white (progressive, hippie, craft beer drinkers, avocado toast and so on).
I, for example live in an area with a sizeable white population, all of them immigrants or sons/daughters of immigrants, most of them working class and/or going up the social ladder through hard work and jobs the aforementioned would never do regardless of their ethnic background (that should be irrelevant in 2021).

Old 02-14-2021, 11:22 AM

36,905 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the area. If I may pick your brain...

1. What do you think about the area around the Kosciusko St subway (J) stop?

2. Area around Marcus Garvey and Gates Ave?

3. Malcolm X and Macon?

4. Chauncey St J/Z station?

5. Willoughby and Marcus Garvey?
1. That area was among one of the first places I lived in when I came to this city a decade ago and while there were obvious signs of gentrification, it was still pretty rough. I don't live in the area anymore, but nowadays I have friends who live in and work in the area, and while certainly not Park Slope, it seems like things have shifted quite a bit more in the decade. There's quite a bit of new construction including some sizable hotels in the area and a lot off new storefronts. My gut feeling is that this sort of took off shortly after much of Williamsburg got really exorbitantly pricey and the M train started taking its midtown route so Kosciuszko (you're missing a 'z' in there!) is the next stop after the M splits and it's still close to the next M stop and therefore has been seeing quite a spread. It's not fantastic, but it is changing and there'a lot of younger people who've moved there and are generally unphased. Definitely the M train seems to be seeing a much larger and maybe more affluent wave of people though, though for whatever reason, the area directly under Myrtle-Broadway (J/M) station habitually has mostly harmless but completely strung out people.

2. That's the part of the stretch of Gates that seems to get more than a normal allotment of bull****

3. Pretty good, part of Bed-Stuy that doesn't seem to have really hit the skids and so is quite nice these days--that's Stuyvesant Heights which SeventhFloor mentioned

4. Don't know that area very well. Know for sure I've been off that stop (I neurotically went to every single stop) but don't remember much of it.

5. Also not a place I'm very often--only passing through. Seems okay-ish. Not great.

SeventhFloor has the outline of it: north and east aren't as good, but I'd add that I think the areas near the G and increasingly J train stops are moving fast. How quickly that progressed for the G train was maybe the most surprising thing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well its true, the rough areas of Bed-Stuy are to the north and east mostly. But there's scattered blocks throughout that are rough, it's a big neighborhood.
Yep, it's pretty scattered, though I think the bougier, nicer sections keep creeping out and are now starting to, uh, touch each other. Overall and in addition to specific parts, the area's made a pretty rapid shift over the last decade.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-14-2021 at 12:19 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 02:16 PM

1,034 posts, read 440,349 times
Quote:
1. That area was among one of the first places I lived in when I came to this city a decade ago and while there were obvious signs of gentrification, it was still pretty rough. I don't live in the area anymore, but nowadays I have friends who live in and work in the area, and while certainly not Park Slope, it seems like things have shifted quite a bit more in the decade. There's quite a bit of new construction including some sizable hotels in the area and a lot off new storefronts. My gut feeling is that this sort of took off shortly after much of Williamsburg got really exorbitantly pricey and the M train started taking its midtown route so Kosciuszko (you're missing a 'z' in there!) is the next stop after the M splits and it's still close to the next M stop and therefore has been seeing quite a spread. It's not fantastic, but it is changing and there'a lot of younger people who've moved there and are generally unphased. Definitely the M train seems to be seeing a much larger and maybe more affluent wave of people though, though for whatever reason, the area directly under Myrtle-Broadway (J/M) station habitually has mostly harmless but completely strung out people.

2. That's the part of the stretch of Gates that seems to get more than a normal allotment of bull****

3. Pretty good, part of Bed-Stuy that doesn't seem to have really hit the skids and so is quite nice these days--that's Stuyvesant Heights which SeventhFloor mentioned

4. Don't know that area very well. Know for sure I've been off that stop (I neurotically went to every single stop) but don't remember much of it.

5. Also not a place I'm very often--only passing through. Seems okay-ish. Not great.

SeventhFloor has the outline of it: north and east aren't as good, but I'd add that I think the areas near the G and increasingly J train stops are moving fast. How quickly that progressed for the G train was maybe the most surprising thing to me.

Yep, it's pretty scattered, though I think the bougier, nicer sections keep creeping out and are now starting to, uh, touch each other. Overall and in addition to specific parts, the area's made a pretty rapid shift over the last decade.
Thanks. Which areas of Bed Stuy are the most gentrified ? Seems like it's block by block rather than entire swaths.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:18 PM

36,905 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Thanks. Which areas of Bed Stuy are the most gentrified ? Seems like it's block by block rather than entire swaths.

As mentioned earlier, Stuyvesant Heights is quite nice. I think if you wanted a larger contiguous general area, that's less block by block, then maybe south of Lafayette, west of Malcolm X, and north of Fulton save for the stretch of Gates Ave east of Throop? Something like that with the rest being more block to block. Note, I don't actually if those blocks of Bedstuy between Fulton and Atlantic are good or bad, because I'm seldom there and it's a weird part of the street grid though Atlantic isn't that pleasant from a pedestrian's perspective. That area's a pretty weird bit of street grid where multiple grids are trying to figure each other out.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:01 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,311,370 times
Quote:
As mentioned earlier, Stuyvesant Heights is quite nice. I think if you wanted a larger contiguous general area, that's less block by block, then maybe south of Lafayette, west of Malcolm X, and north of Fulton save for the stretch of Gates Ave east of Throop? Something like that with the rest being more block to block. Note, I don't actually if those blocks of Bedstuy between Fulton and Atlantic are good or bad, because I'm seldom there and it's a weird part of the street grid though Atlantic isn't that pleasant from a pedestrian's perspective. That area's a pretty weird bit of street grid where multiple grids are trying to figure each other out.
I agree with this summary. I’ve been in parts of that weird in- between Fulton/Atlantic stretch a few times because of a new grocery store (Lincoln Market) which is on the corner of Fulton and Franklin. It’ s really good, btw. If I drive down I’ll park on one of those side streets. Those few blocks aren’t bad just weirdly situated between two major busy streets...although there is a homeless man that has made his home right in front of the lobby of the brand new building that’s anchored to that supermarket.

Frankly speaking, anything in the south west part of the neighborhood is solidly gentrified. It’s not even debatable anymore. When the newest supermarket in that area sells caviar, gentrification is pretty much a done deal.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I agree with this summary. I’ve been in parts of that weird in- between Fulton/Atlantic stretch a few times because of a new grocery store (Lincoln Market) which is on the corner of Fulton and Franklin. It’ s really good, btw. If I drive down I’ll park on one of those side streets. Those few blocks aren’t bad just weirdly situated between two major busy streets...although there is a homeless man that has made his home right in front of the lobby of the brand new building that’s anchored to that supermarket.

Frankly speaking, anything in the south west part of the neighborhood is solidly gentrified. It’s not even debatable anymore. When the newest supermarket in that area sells caviar, gentrification is pretty much a done deal.
Solidly gentrified? As in Park Slope solidly gentrified? I don't think so.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:16 AM

As a matter of fact 2 summers ago I was waiting for the 44 on Nostrand Ave and Fulton Street, this old lady was drinking a can of beer (no paper bag), talking to herself, looking very disheveled, and dancing in the street. This is like 6 PM on a weekday, it still has 149th Street-3rd Ave vibes around there

I'm just saying its not on any Park Slope level, at all

Old 02-15-2021, 11:45 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,311,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Solidly gentrified? As in Park Slope solidly gentrified? I don't think so.
Solidly gentrified on the level of Ft Greene- which is arguably gentrified. I’ve always maintained that the neighborhood (or large parts of it) would end up being more like Clinton Hill/Ft Greene- which makes sense given the location.

Seventh, You and I have debated our perceptions of Bed Stuy for a while and your POV and mine are not the same. But I’ll continue to give my POV as someone that not only lives here but grew up in an absurdly wealthy Westchester suburb- so I also have “that” perspective too.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Solidly gentrified on the level of Ft Greene- which is arguably gentrified. I’ve always maintained that the neighborhood (or large parts of it) would end up being more like Clinton Hill/Ft Greene- which makes sense given the location.

Seventh, You and I have debated our perceptions of Bed Stuy for a while and your POV and mine are not the same. But I’ll continue to give my POV as someone that not only lives here but grew up in an absurdly wealthy Westchester suburb- so I also have “that” perspective too.
And respectfully do.

I'm just not 100% convinced on the Stuy. And to me that particular area is still a little janky. It has changed and improved tremendously. But to me, it's the LES with more violent crime.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City