Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:18 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,188,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
82 with crack = 18 without it

Nowadays 18 is wayyyy too much. Are you serious? Most precincts have 5-7....the 46th had 18!! Thats a crazy amount nowadays.
Well getting it down to 5-7 is clearly the next obstacle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:45 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,988,916 times
Yes I agree that it is 1000% better now than it has been in the last 40 years. My comment is not about the improvements, its about where the continuing improvements are happening..and where they are not. And based on my own experiences, and the crime rates that I see around the borough, Mott Haven has remained steady since 2007 (the lowest crime rate in the last 40 years) which is not neceessarily greta but what's important is that there have been go big jumps in crime...and homicide is down compared to this time last year also.

Where I see crime is still not decreasing but increasing is in areas in the central and northern Bronx...the decreasing crime is reversing..thats where the problem lies. Just what I am seeing....it might be that Mott Haven's very heavy police presence keeps crime steady....whereas other areas don't have the operation impact.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:17 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,600,202 times
I think some of the spike in crime is due to changing conditions in the city. As Central Brooklyn begins to gentrify, Southern Queens becomes another hot spot. Gangs, dealers and general miscreates battle for turf between the newcomers and the originals and crime goes up. Crime in the Bronx is slowly moving North and Eastward away from the Hub and Yankee Stadium (anyone notice an uptick of white people on the 4 train?). When the new demogrpahic patterns are established, crime will drop.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 AM

Agreed Shizzles...the demographic changes are definitely playing a role..whenever the deck get shuffled...some activity will increase.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,344,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I think some of the spike in crime is due to changing conditions in the city. As Central Brooklyn begins to gentrify, Southern Queens becomes another hot spot. Gangs, dealers and general miscreates battle for turf between the newcomers and the originals and crime goes up. Crime in the Bronx is slowly moving North and Eastward away from the Hub and Yankee Stadium (anyone notice an uptick of white people on the 4 train?). When the new demogrpahic patterns are established, crime will drop.
As generally one of only one or two white people on the 4, I'd say no lol.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 AM

Lol...aww come on Mead..surely there have to be more than that....are you saying all those people in Woodlawn and Bedford Park travel only by Metro-North, car, or bus?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,188,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Lol, I was just about to comment that he was probably referring to the white people who live in Woodlawn.

I don't think the demographic shifts have quite worked their way up to the Bronx yet. Give it a few years though.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 AM

473 posts, read 1,667,815 times
Quote:
......Crime in the Bronx is slowly moving North and Eastward away from the Hub and Yankee Stadium .....
well, if crime has indeed decreased around the hub/stadium, and crime has increased in the north east bronx, it doesn't necessarily follow that the increase in crime in the north Bronx came from the south.

The 44th precinct is in the impact program so there will obviously be an initial decrease in crime....... The 47th, and the 49th ARE NOT included in the impact program so it might be relatively easier to commit crime in the north east than say around the stadium - with cops being everywhere as an obvious deterrent.

Quote:
...... (anyone notice an uptick of white people on the 4 train?). ....
It was a yankee game day he he he.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:40 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,007,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I see NO white people on the 4 train past 161st.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,286,805 times
White people definitely are on the 4 past 161st - they live in Woodlawn.

They're usually in the very first car since the exit at Woodlawn station is on the northernmost side of the station so they can get out quick and cross Bainbridge to catch the Bx16 or Bx34.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City