U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,297 posts, read 2,707,865 times
Reputation: 313

Advertisements

I have been reshearching information on good neighborhoods for young families in the NYC metro area. I've heard good things about alot of different neighborhoods. My situation is that I have two little boys one is 4 years old(he will be 5 when we plan to move) and the other is 2 months(he will be one) and my fiancee. I will be just working when we first move there then eventually I will be attending school probably a community college at first then transferring to Rutgers to cut cost down. She already has a degree and is already applying and interviewing for a job in the city. I was told before in a previous post about some nice towns in New Jersey like Edgewater, Cliffside Park, Hoboken, Jersey City, Fort Lee, Weehawken, West New York, Elizabeth, Edison, Union City, and etc. and nice neighborhoods all over the five broughs in the city itself. Now that I can be more specific I figured I could get better info. We are looking for a place to rent that is at least 2 bedrooms(I would perfer 3 bedrooms) for less than $2000 a month, maybe a bit higher if necessary like $2500 in a neighborhood that isn't to dangerous and has decent transportation to the city and New Brunswick like train or bus with driving being an option. I looked on craigslist at places in the area and I seen some places in the price range in Newark, Elizabeth, Harrison, Kearny, Journal square district of JC, parts of Brooklyn, parts of Queens, Stanten Island, and in Yonkers. I have seen on tv and heard about people from out of town getting real estate agents to help them find a place and I was wondering do they cover the whole area or just the city itself? Is it better to rent in the city or in jersey? I will be visiting a few times this summer so any suggestions of neighborhoods would be helpful. I am losing my mind trying to find the best neighborhoods. Please help!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2008, 05:20 AM
 
Location: UWS -- Lucky Me!
757 posts, read 2,293,773 times
Reputation: 181
A real estate license permits you to broker deals in the state in which it was issued. You'll need one for New York, one for NJ, but most agents in NYC don't cover the whole city -- just a few neighbhorhoods in the same vicinity. You better start narrowing your prospects.

If you live in New York, won't you have to pay out-of-state tuition at Rutgers?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 10:28 AM
 
13 posts, read 27,127 times
Reputation: 17
Given your need for space, budget of around 2000-2500k, and eventual transition to Rutgers, I would definitely move to Jersey. You may have to commute while attending community college, but it will be worth it for that short period. There are great safe neighborhoods in NJ (Jersey City and Hoboken). Don't even both with NYC.. it will be way expensive and won't give you the space that you need. If you absolutely want to be much closer to the city, there's Long Island City (but then it will make an upcoming Rutgers commute a pain). Best of luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,297 posts, read 2,707,865 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectplacetolive View Post
Given your need for space, budget of around 2000-2500k, and eventual transition to Rutgers, I would definitely move to Jersey. You may have to commute while attending community college, but it will be worth it for that short period. There are great safe neighborhoods in NJ (Jersey City and Hoboken). Don't even both with NYC.. it will be way expensive and won't give you the space that you need. If you absolutely want to be much closer to the city, there's Long Island City (but then it will make an upcoming Rutgers commute a pain). Best of luck!
First thanks for the info., that's what I was thinking that it would be better to be in Jersey. I keep getting mix responses about Jersey City. Some people say that it is a bad, some say that it is up and coming, some say that it is on the downfall, and others say it is a good city. I also heard Hoboken is as expensive as Mahattan, is that true?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,297 posts, read 2,707,865 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
A real estate license permits you to broker deals in the state in which it was issued. You'll need one for New York, one for NJ, but most agents in NYC don't cover the whole city -- just a few neighbhorhoods in the same vicinity. You better start narrowing your prospects.

If you live in New York, won't you have to pay out-of-state tuition at Rutgers?
I belive so, unfortunently.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
878 posts, read 1,857,654 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
First thanks for the info., that's what I was thinking that it would be better to be in Jersey. I keep getting mix responses about Jersey City. Some people say that it is a bad, some say that it is up and coming, some say that it is on the downfall, and others say it is a good city. I also heard Hoboken is as expensive as Mahattan, is that true?
I believe Hoboken is fairly expensive. Depending on where you are at in Jersey City makes a difference. I have heard that the area around Journal Square is pretty good but I don't travel there so it is second hand information. If you look on the Jersey boards you may get better information about certain sections in Jersey City. Newark, I don't have a problem with but I would not recommend it since it can be dicey.

UPDATE: Went to the Jersey Boards and read a little about Jersey City so my assumption about Journal Square may not be correct. I guess everything depends on your tolerance level.

Last edited by drkman; 05-10-2008 at 12:53 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top