U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:42 PM

23 posts, read 25,311 times

Advertisements

When the Freedom Tower comes up will it be the biggest building in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post

Nice
Yeah its called the Tower Verre.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 AM

40,059 posts, read 20,062,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewYorker#2 View Post
When the Freedom Tower comes up will it be the biggest building in the US?
No, it will not. I don't believe it's going to be taller than the Sears Tower in Chicago. On the other hand, I don't think most New Yorkers are still into that "we've gotta have the tallest building" mentality. This city introduced skyscrapers to the world...we've done our job!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 AM

7,880 posts, read 9,692,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
No, it will not. I don't believe it's going to be taller than the Sears Tower in Chicago. On the other hand, I don't think most New Yorkers are still into that "we've gotta have the tallest building" mentality. This city introduced skyscrapers to the world...we've done our job!
It technically will be taller than the Sears Tower (1776 ft vs 1730 ft) and since the Chicago Spire (2,000 ft) is on hold the Freedom Tower will be the tallest in the U.S.

Under Construction, Approved, and Proposed:

1. One World Trade Center - 1,776 feet tall
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/Freedom_Tower_New.jpg (broken link)

=2. Madison Square Garden Tower (twin) - 1,400 feet tall
=2. Madison Square Garden Tower (twin) - 1,400 feet tall

3. Two World Trade Center - 1,350 feet tall
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...f5/Tower22.jpg

4. Hudson Place Tower I - 1,300 feet tall
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dson_Place.jpg

5. Three World Trade Center - 1,250 feet tall
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/175_Greenwich_Street.jpg (broken link)

6. Manhattan West Tower I - 1,216 feet tall

7. Vornado Tower - 1,198 feet tall

8. Hudson Place Tower II - 1,080 feet tall

9. Tower Verre - 1,050 feet tall
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...3rd_Street.jpg

Just to put things in perspective, the Empire State Building is 1,454 feet tall to the top, and the Chrysler Building & NY Times Building are both 1,046 feet tall so all building's above will be taller than the Chrysler Building/NY Times Building.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 AM

486 posts, read 636,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseya08 View Post
Besides the freedom tower will NYC add a new skyscraper?
I agree with some of the other posters. There are always "skyscrapers" going up in the city. Many of them would really stand out and drastically change the skyline elsewhere, but do not here.

There are several going up, or are planned to go up in the very near future. It seems that the cities that are planning most of the newer super-massive structures are places that are just trying to get noticed (i.e. Dubai), NYC doesn't need to do that.

Check this out:

New York City - SkyscraperPage.com

Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 AM

82 posts, read 211,196 times
The more skyscrapers the more problems in this already overcrowded city

Old 05-09-2010, 11:26 AM

486 posts, read 636,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4ever View Post
I recall that you've said about NYers that they're all rude, angry, mean, etc. Do you realize that by the tone most of your other posts, you should fit in nicely.

Do you ever post on the boards of your imagined paradise, California? Why spend so much time dogging New York? Try not to wallow in negativity so much and you'll become a happier person.

I really don't understand how people stick around a place that they despise so much. Go. Be free!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4ever View Post
Skyscrapers are one reason why New York is so iconic. Since when do major cities stop building?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 PM

44 posts, read 11,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
No, Freedom Tower will be taller than the Sears Tower. It will be the tallest in the United States, and the 5th (I believe) tallest tower in the world.

Also, Hotel Pennsylvania will be demolished soon, and a 1,250 tower will take its place.

http://www.observer.com/files/full/15_penn%5B1%5D.JPG (broken link)
-Observer

15 Penn Plaza

http://www.observer.com/2010/real-es...-tallest-tower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City