U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:40 AM

9 posts, read 46,569 times

Advertisements

Wanted to get peoples opinions on Tracey Towers. I've lived a few blocks from Tracey my entire life. Never had a reason to go inside until a few years when I was there for a party. Basically confirmed my suspicion that the place is a ****hole. First thing I see when I walk into the lobby is about 15 brothas sitting there smoking a blunt right in front of security with parents and kids walking by. The apartment (or at least the one I was in) seemed poorly constructed. I have a few friends in the building and I know the building is part of Mitchell-Lama and designed for working people. I was wondering what peoples experiences were with the buildings. For those people who were around when Tracey was built, how did the neighborhood change when it was completed?

For those who are unfamiliar with Tracey Towers they are two 41 story towers in the Northwest Bronx built on top of the 4 yard. They dominate the landscape and are truly the ugliest buildings you'll ever see.
Attached Thumbnails
Tracey Towers-04towers.jpg   Tracey Towers-02towers.jpg   Tracey Towers-15reservoir.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 01:44 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,532,582 times
Never been inside the buildings, but I've always thought that the architecture of the buildings was completely hideous.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:18 PM

473 posts, read 1,461,426 times
last time i was in there was in 97. it was't great and it wasn't bad - I do remember A LOT of "loiterring"

Old 05-11-2008, 02:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 25,831,192 times
I've seen them described in the AIA guide to NY City as "resembling sandcastles with overactive thyroids"

I actually thought they look attractive from a distance but as you get closer they are overwhelming. They are visible from my neighborhood and from the angle at Broadway and 252 they seem OK to look at

I think they were first built in 1972. I think their location was bad because they cast an ugliness to the nice Mosholu Pkwy green and that area by the reservoir is totally overrun with educational institutions and RR yards, and when the students leave the area is desolate and deserted. I can't think of a better location for them because I'd hate to think of the unsightliness they would cause any neighborhood. Perhaps this location was ideal at the time

Old 05-11-2008, 03:02 PM

13,746 posts, read 29,152,984 times
i heard that their circular design contributes to excessive noise within the building. it amplifies everything.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 PM

1,080 posts, read 3,943,116 times
Default Sedgwick Ave........

Tracey Towers is within eyeshot of where I live, hubby went there back in the 8o's for school board business and wondered why he didn't bring his 38.
The kids from the Towers go to PS 95 and often enjoyed walking along the wall outside The Amalgamated buildings and ripping out the flowers that were planted with great care. Lovely children.

Those that live in the area very seldom go beyond DeWitt Clinton HS because of the Towers. Its a fairly nice area, and the Towers add nothing to the area.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:38 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,404,110 times
They're pretty bad. Easily the worst part of the neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:54 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,532,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Tracey Towers is within eyeshot of where I live, hubby went there back in the 8o's for school board business and wondered why he didn't bring his 38.
The kids from the Towers go to PS 95 and often enjoyed walking along the wall outside The Amalgamated buildings and ripping out the flowers that were planted with great care. Lovely children.

Those that live in the area very seldom go beyond DeWitt Clinton HS because of the Towers. Its a fairly nice area, and the Towers add nothing to the area.
Ha, thats pretty funny. Unforunately its all too common these days.

There's a difference between being poor and low class. Unfortunately most people in the Bronx nowadays don't seem to realize that.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:04 AM

318 posts, read 939,566 times
The Tracey Towers are an eyesore and just passing by I have also gotten the sense that many people living there are low class. Luckily they are on the outskirts of the neighborhood. The shape is ridiculous. They look cheap and dated, with a vomit-brown color.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,781,978 times
Yes, Tracey Towers is a blight but Mosholu Parkway itself is actually pretty nice. When I was living in Wakefield and went to visit my friend who lived in Riverdale, I hopped on my bike, rode through Bronx Park until I got to Mosholu and rode across the inner path to get to Van Cortlandt Park. it's a nice scenic ride, IMO.

I just noticed they finished rehabbing Mosholu station on the 4. It looks very nice now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City