Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 12:54 PM

105,676 posts, read 107,645,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
So if someone was at the show would you see anything shady going on?

I assume that would go on away from the premises after the purchase
No ,unless you had reason to stare at every transaction of hundreds of people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 01:28 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,345,608 times
NYC has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, and we still have a large problem with shootings. That goes to show the effectiveness, or really, lack thereof, of gun laws.

Anticipating the obvious response to this, the rest of the country is NOT going to allow national gun laws to be strengthened. Remember there are 100,000,000+ gun owners in this country with 400,000,000+ million guns. Given the way the political system in this country is organized, they can very effectively stymie any attempt to impose new gun laws.

Taking it even a step further, assuming the above was not true, if stricter gun laws were imposed, they'd have zero effect on gun crime. Why? Let's look at other proxies that could be used to judge the effect of stricter gun laws. Let's look at other commodities for which there is significant demand, but have been subject to strict controls and/or bans. Let's look at opiates (synthetic or plant derived.)

As prescription drugs, opiates are supposed to be strictly controlled. Not only are the subject to prescription, but special, more strictly monitored prescriptions (in the old paper days, triplicate form.) We still managed to develop a huge problems with problem with abuse and illegal trade in prescription opiates (think Oxycontin et al.) Okay, so we turned the screws on the prescription process and tried to cut off that supply. What happened? The drug cartels effective replaced this supply with smuggled heroin, fentanyl, and other opiates. LE has been utterly ineffective in stopping this.

So applying this paradigm to the gun situation, what would happen if the Feds managed to turn the screws on the gun laws. The cartels, who are both big consumers of guns, and, if nothing else, highly entrepreneurial, will fined off shore supplies for weapons, and start smuggling them in en mass. And, since there will be no control over what they smuggle, we'll start seeing much more destructive weapons coming in. In particular, I could see them bringing in hand grenades (cheap, small, and single use, so they'd have to be replaced after use), and submachine guns (smaller, cheaper, and easier to make than assault rifles, either real ones or the semi-automatic sporterized versions legal for sale in the US.)

The war on drugs did nothing to stop drug abuse in this country, and spawned huge multinational criminal cartels. There's no reason to thing any meaningful attempt at gun control wouldn't have the same effect. on guns.

Quote:
You may think illegal guns are not a problem but they are. They make it a lot easier to kill people and it can be done many yards away from the victim, a big danger to police and civilians.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:12 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,684,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
NYC has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, and we still have a large problem with shootings. That goes to show the effectiveness, or really, lack thereof, of gun laws.
I assume you you approve New York City being open carry including concealed handguns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

The war on drugs did nothing to stop drug abuse in this country, and spawned huge multinational criminal cartels. There's no reason to thing any meaningful attempt at gun control wouldn't have the same effect. on guns.
I assume you would you approve of all drugs being legalized rather than the government telling us what we can put in our bodies and futile measure to try to stop it

Old 05-16-2021, 08:25 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,593,177 times
Quote:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-iron-pipeline

"Pennsylvania, which borders New York contributed 13 percent. Six non-neighboring states (Florida, Georgia, Ohio, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia) contributed 61 percent.
People bring them and sell them illegally. It needs to be a felony with mandatory jail time.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:45 PM

15,085 posts, read 7,129,040 times
Quote:
I assume you you approve New York City being open carry including concealed handguns?

I assume you would you approve of all drugs being legalized rather than the government telling us what we can put in our bodies and futile measure to try to stop it
Open carry is the opposite of concealed, make up your mind.

The war on some drugs is an abject failure. It it wasn't drugs would be expensive on the street, and they aren't

Old 05-16-2021, 10:13 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,684,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Open carry is the opposite of concealed, make up your mind.

The war on some drugs is an abject failure. It it wasn't drugs would be expensive on the street, and they aren't
Would you approve of concealed and open carry of handguns and long guns permitted in New York City
and legalization of all drugs.

Yes or no, thanks

Old 05-17-2021, 04:12 AM

105,676 posts, read 107,645,851 times
Open carry is not something I am in favor of …..all that does is make bad guys shoot you first ,then rob you ..

It is the element of surprise that works

Old 05-17-2021, 07:09 AM

82 posts, read 39,087 times
Quote:
Gun crimes in St. Louis have been 34% long guns.
In some neighborhoods rifle brandishing is so common police don't have time to check people brandishing to see if they have permits.
This is completely untrue. Also, there are no long gun "permits" in St. Louis or Missouri.

Quote:

That could happen in New York is laws were to change. Gangs would be hanging out in the street and they would have one person with no record who has a permit so it would be legal.
Then when some gang war is going on the rifle gets passed to someone without a permit.
That is the type of thing that goes on in St. Louis
There are no long gun permits required in New York State outside of the City. Is what you're describing happening in places like Buffalo and Rochester?

Old 05-17-2021, 03:55 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,345,608 times
Yes. I would allow carry, both concealed and open. While I would allow open carry, I think it is stupid from a tactical point of view.

Quote:
Yes, sort of. I would allow sales of all of what are now considered to be illegal drugs. I would do it in such a way as to prevent the drug cartels, and/or their local gang affiliates from profiting from it. I would also find non-judicial ways of putting pressure on drug addicts.

[/quote]
I assume you would you approve of all drugs being legalized rather than the government telling us what we can put in our bodies and futile measure to try to stop it[/quote]

Old 05-17-2021, 04:05 PM

18,827 posts, read 13,715,156 times
Open carry is absolutely every American's right, anywhere, anytime except for the private property of others.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City