Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 04:34 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times

Advertisements

Yes. In 10 years everyone is going to wish they had stuck it out and bough property in the down turn just like after 9/11. the dot com crash and the last recession.

Posting so I can return and say ' I told you so!'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 04:39 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Yes. In 10 years everyone is going to wish they had stuck it out and bough property in the down turn just like after 9/11. the dot com crash and the last recession.

You know, I haven't seen any decline in listing prices for the outer boroughs. Or at least I haven't noticed.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-12-2021, 04:41 PM

There are cities which are ranked as Global cities/Economic power houses/Alpha cities.

At the top sits New York. Others include Tokyo, London, Hong. Kong Paris and Shanghai. If New York is doomed so are all the others as we have more draw and industries here. It is more than just work from home. It is the ability to network and wheel and deal that drives wealth.

Alot can be accomplished remotely. However there are reasons company will fly exec private or first class to NYC for one day for a business meeting that could easily be accomplished over zoom

There is a reason your chances of running into a billionaire/multi millionaire are so high if you live here.

Cross the bridges to leave the city and your odds of meeting one drops by 50% immediately!

Old 05-12-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You know, I haven't seen any decline in listing prices for the outer boroughs. Or at least I haven't noticed.

The real estate market is red hot. I listed a property for more than $200K than I would ever think to sell for as I haven't owned it that long. Within 1 hr of listing I already had viewings lined up for qualified buyers.

I instructed my realtor no open houses, no signs. No lookie loos. Only pre qualified buyers vetted by their agents.

I put in multiple officers on 2 houses recently and the cash offers that were beating my offer were insane! Usually cash offers use that as leverage to get a better price.

I also speak to other realtors, real estate property owners and business people and there are many things in the works that lets me know that long term NYC will be returning with a vengance!

Old 05-12-2021, 04:49 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:

Buy when others are fearful.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:53 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
The real estate market is red hot. I listed a property for more than $200K than I would ever think to sell for as I haven't owned it that long. Within 1 hr of listing I already had viewings lined up for qualified buyers.

I instructed my realtor no open houses, no signs. No lookie loos. Only pre qualified buyers vetted by their agents.

I put in multiple officers on 2 houses recently and the cash offers that were beating my offer were insane! Usually cash offers use that as leverage to get a better price.

I also speak to other realtors, real estate property owners and business people and there are many things in the works that lets me know that long term NYC will be returning with a vengance!
A lot of people came up on that stock market/crypto heavy over the last year as well

Add in that YouTube money

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-12-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Buy when others are fearful.

We are off loading a property. Hoping to pick up two in Brooklyn by end of this year /mid next year when everyone is apprehensive. We bought in the middle of the the last recession and that is what gave us the start that we needed when the market bounced back and we sold.
Everyone then said we should wait because the market was going to tank/never recover.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
A lot of people came up on that stock market/crypto heavy over the last year as well

Add in that YouTube money

Seems so. Too much crazy money in the market. We bought a property out of state (got a good price that is the only reason we are buying and sitting on it for now). The houses all around were $1 to $2 million. They were going pending within 3 weeks! This is an area where 15 years ago you could buy for $300K.

Something is up in the market. Many are also cash buyers so it's not like the last time when people were unqualified.

The last time we sold an elderly couple paid full price, cash within the first 2 weeks of listing. The most unassuming people are buying up houses.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:58 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Everyone then said we should wait because the market was going to tank/never recover.
lol. Famous last words.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
lol. Famous last words.

Correct. When I told a co-worker I was listing it he said no one will ever buy it because it is overpriced and he is waiting for the a market to soften again. ( He still was scared after the recession lol) He is still renting and we have bought 3 houses since lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City