Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 12:52 PM

1,420 posts, read 724,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
lol thank god I'm out. You know how awesome it is to not worry about red light and speed cameras all day long? Funny thing is I'm usually one of the slowest and most law abiding drivers anyway, but no way I'm comfortable risking a $50 for going 36.

NYC sucks in every single way possible. Literally.
Agreed 100%. It feels great living in a place where driving a car is still legal. Driving around Vehicle Zero New York made me super anxious to drive to the point that I almost never left my neighborhood unless I was going to Long Island. Sorry, I would never consider riding a bike as a means of commuting.

This is what my commute to work looks like now-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 01:08 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Man that is awesome. I wish I could've moved further away!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-16-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Mayor de Blasio announces plan to #FinishQueensBlvd as part of Streets Week(!)
For real. I'm always hearing people (usually elderly women) being struck and killed on Queens Blvd.
Or is it Northern Blvd., I'm thinking about. Anyway...

https://www.amny.com/news/mayor-de-b...-streets-week/

Once known as the “boulevard of death” Vision Zero appears to be making concrete progress in linking cyclists to safe routes along the thoroughfare, and it only took the de Blasio administration a few years.

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Thursday as part of Streets Week! that the city Department of Transportation would finish the bike lane which comes to a halt up reaching MacDonald Park as it runs eastward, something safe street advocates have been calling for since the rollout stalled three years ago.

“Not just for a year or two years, for decades, Queens Boulevard, tragically, was synonymous with the problem of horrible deaths on the road: pedestrians, motorists, cyclists. Queens Boulevard – I don’t have to remind people who’ve been here a while – it used to be called the Boulevard of Death and people would say it almost without even thinking about it, it had become so common, which is tragic unto itself,” De Blasio said. “When we put Vision Zero into effect, one of the things that I knew we had to do, and it would take time, but we would get it done, is address Queens Boulevard once and for all.”
Queens Boulevard hasn't truly been dangerous since the Guiliani days. In 2011 not a single pedestrian was killed crossing the street....back when the speed limit was still 30 and before the bike lanes took over. Of course a politician with so little accomplishments will try to take credit from another one.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:32 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Want to speed? Just get an ATV, dirt bike..Fly up and down all the streets you want. No biggie.
Or just be an illegal immigrant with no license plate. Such people are first class citizens in NYC now, it seems.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:39 PM

It infuriates me that they make driving such a miserable experience in the name of "safety" for normal people, yet every night I hear tires screeching around Woodhaven Blvd, drag racing in the streets, ever more cars without license plates (or fake/invisible ones), those dingy scooters with no licenses getting in between moving cars etc.

This is to be expected in a lawless third world city like NYC

Old 05-17-2021, 08:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Or just be an illegal immigrant with no license plate. Such people are first class citizens in NYC now, it seems.
Buy a vowel.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:41 PM

16,029 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
There is ample material on the relationship between speed and likelihood to survive a pedestrian strike.

Risk of severe injury or death starts jumping over 20 MPH.

Response: Opinion

Dingbat deBlasio Just created a new opportunity for criminals ...........
run up to driver muggings are going to go through the roof.......

Old 05-21-2021, 05:44 AM

1,034 posts, read 672,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Mayor de Blasio announces plan to #FinishQueensBlvd as part of Streets Week(!)
For real. I'm always hearing people (usually elderly women) being struck and killed on Queens Blvd.
Or is it Northern Blvd., I'm thinking about. Anyway...

https://www.amny.com/news/mayor-de-b...-streets-week/

Once known as the “boulevard of death” Vision Zero appears to be making concrete progress in linking cyclists to safe routes along the thoroughfare, and it only took the de Blasio administration a few years.

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Thursday as part of Streets Week! that the city Department of Transportation would finish the bike lane which comes to a halt up reaching MacDonald Park as it runs eastward, something safe street advocates have been calling for since the rollout stalled three years ago.

“Not just for a year or two years, for decades, Queens Boulevard, tragically, was synonymous with the problem of horrible deaths on the road: pedestrians, motorists, cyclists. Queens Boulevard – I don’t have to remind people who’ve been here a while – it used to be called the Boulevard of Death and people would say it almost without even thinking about it, it had become so common, which is tragic unto itself,” De Blasio said. “When we put Vision Zero into effect, one of the things that I knew we had to do, and it would take time, but we would get it done, is address Queens Boulevard once and for all.”
I am really happy to hear this. Thanks Aeran !

Old 05-21-2021, 09:50 PM

I get lower speed limits on small residential side roads, in fact I'd be fine with 20mph there.

But on large arteries like Crossbay Blvd? Under Streets Week!!!!!!! the already low speed limit went from 40 to an absurd 35 on Crossbay Blvd going through Jamaica Bay wildlife preserve. If anyone ever drives there, you know that area is completely empty and is more like a highway. Zero pedestrian crossing and there are concrete barriers to the sidewalk. That's not about Streets Week!!!!!!!!!!!! or safety anymore, it's just making driving ever more miserable for those in the outer boroughs (where car ownership is high, as it might surprise some)

Old 05-22-2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
I get lower speed limits on small residential side roads, in fact I'd be fine with 20mph there.

But on large arteries like Crossbay Blvd? Under Streets Week!!!!!!! the already low speed limit went from 40 to an absurd 35 on Crossbay Blvd going through Jamaica Bay wildlife preserve. If anyone ever drives there, you know that area is completely empty and is more like a highway. Zero pedestrian crossing and there are concrete barriers to the sidewalk. That's not about Streets Week!!!!!!!!!!!! or safety anymore, it's just making driving ever more miserable for those in the outer boroughs (where car ownership is high, as it might surprise some)
They did the same thing to Rockaway Blvd by JFK airport, the stretch between Farmers Blvd and Brookville. 6 lane divided street with barriers and no pedestrians, I don't even think that stretch has a sidewalk, but lets lower the speed limit anyway. I'm so glad I left NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: