U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 AM

18 posts, read 45,345 times
Great pic! Thanks for the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryt3 View Post
I've read all the comments about Chow Chow Trucks from the 60's and 70's. My boyfriend, George, was an original Chow Chow Cup Truck operator who worked in Bayside (Bayside H.S., Queensboro Community College and other area schools). In the summer, he worked near Monitcello in the towns of South Fallsburg and Ellensville and even worked at Woodstock in 1969. George is a friend of Louie (who was called Chop Suey Louie back in those days) whose son posted a comment previously. I am attaching a picture of George's truck, just to clarify what the trucks actually looked like.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,226 times
Default Chow Chow Cup Song

Oh boy, do I ever remember Chow Chow Cup. I grew up in Douglaston and we lived for the chow mein in the edible bowls! Delicious!!! My friend grew up in Astoria and never heard of it, even though she lived there in the 1960s.
Someone asked about the tune. Since I can't write down the musical notes here, I'll give you the names of the notes. If you have a piano, you can try it out.

G E G A C C A G A C A C A G E E D E G G E G A G A G E D E D E D C A G A C D E C D E A G A C A G E G E D C D E G A G A

Old 05-07-2008, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,208 times
Amazing. In another internet forum I was describing the "Chinese food truck" that brought egg rolls and chow mein and was the highlight of our day in the Beech Hills neighborhood of my childhood, and people were amazed that we had such a wonder. Thanks for bringing my memories closer.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,308 times
I remember the truck coming to my bungalow colony in Kiamesha up by monticello. My most favorite thing to eat. I still crave the cup with chow mein in it.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:34 AM

19 posts, read 32,553 times
i don't remember them but certainly would have tried them as i love asian food i graduated from adams high in 65 used to love shopping in jamaica and green acres

Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,721 times
I'm 44 and remember the truck from my bungalow colony in Monticello in the 1970s. I was just reminded of this while watching the Mets, where Gary Cohen (one of their broadcasters) brought it up as a memory of his childhood in Queens. Small world.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 AM

2 posts, read 9,746 times
Default NEED the notes

Wow, Amy - I have been looking for this forever. Need some hint of the length of the notes. Any help would be so so appreciated! THANKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy7 View Post
Oh boy, do I ever remember Chow Chow Cup. I grew up in Douglaston and we lived for the chow mein in the edible bowls! Delicious!!! My friend grew up in Astoria and never heard of it, even though she lived there in the 1960s.
Someone asked about the tune. Since I can't write down the musical notes here, I'll give you the names of the notes. If you have a piano, you can try it out.

G E G A C C A G A C A C A G E E D E G G E G A G A G E D E D E D C A G A C D E C D E A G A C A G E G E D C D E G A G A

Old 10-20-2008, 07:41 AM

93 posts, read 163,566 times
After seeing the truck photo, i remember the two chinese cartoon figures,but i dont remember the truck in glen oaks apartments or grand central apartments, i lived on 71st road in this area of queens in the 1960's. The best years to be a kid. Did the the chow chow cup truck drive in this area,anyone remember?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 AM

11 posts, read 45,572 times
I lived In the Bronx and this is one of my fondest food memories.
Also I went to Pleasant Valley Day Camp in the Sullivan County and the truck was there too.
I have tried to get my local Chinese food restaurant to make the cup but it never came out right.

Last edited by KRL2BKND; 10-20-2008 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,979 times
Default Chow Chow Cup

I just asked my co-workers if they remember the Chow Chow Cup. I can't believe they weren't everywhere. They used to come around Flushing in the 60's and then we summered in Monticello and he was there too.
The Chow Chow cup filled with Chow Mein was the best. You would eat the chow mein and when you were 1/2 way done, you would break up the "bowl" that was like an eggroll wrapper and eat it broken up in with the chow mein. Yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City