Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 10:38 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

If you scroll down further in the article, interesting map of which places have high speed internet and which ones don't. Manhattan comes up the winner. SI and the Bronx, less so.

https://gothamist.com/news/what-it-w...a1838-91331958

Over the past year, the pandemic has laid bare some of the deepest inequities in education. Chief among them: the digital divide between students with reliable internet access in their homes, and those without. Now, as politicians pledge to rebuild the school system better, and stimulus dollars create new opportunities to address long-standing problems, advocates for high-speed internet access for everyone hope solutions may finally be in reach.

More than a million New Yorkers don’t have access to broadband in their homes right now. When the pandemic hit last year, the number was even higher. As soon as schools went remote last spring, stories poured in of students’ struggles to get online. A teenager spent hours slumped outside her neighbor’s doorway trying to get a signal for her laptop. Kids camped outside McDonalds to grab Wi-Fi. Siblings had to take turns going to school on a parent’s iPhone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 08:31 AM

1,046 posts, read 469,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
If you scroll down further in the article, interesting map of which places have high speed internet and which ones don't. Manhattan comes up the winner. SI and the Bronx, less so.

https://gothamist.com/news/what-it-w...a1838-91331958

Over the past year, the pandemic has laid bare some of the deepest inequities in education. Chief among them: the digital divide between students with reliable internet access in their homes, and those without. Now, as politicians pledge to rebuild the school system better, and stimulus dollars create new opportunities to address long-standing problems, advocates for high-speed internet access for everyone hope solutions may finally be in reach.

More than a million New Yorkers don’t have access to broadband in their homes right now. When the pandemic hit last year, the number was even higher. As soon as schools went remote last spring, stories poured in of students’ struggles to get online. A teenager spent hours slumped outside her neighbor’s doorway trying to get a signal for her laptop. Kids camped outside McDonalds to grab Wi-Fi. Siblings had to take turns going to school on a parent’s iPhone.
Yet half of Congress will still insist that broadband access is not an infrastructure issue, especially for rural America. If 1/8th of a city of this magnitude doesn't have access, imagine how bad it is in small states.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:49 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
Poor NYC with WiFi on every street corner. Think for a second about rural kids that have zero access to quality broadband. I'll cry a tear for NYC kids when they tackle that issue.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:58 AM

1,034 posts, read 446,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Yet half of Congress will still insist that broadband access is not an infrastructure issue, especially for rural America. If 1/8th of a city of this magnitude doesn't have access, imagine how bad it is in small states.
What percentage of the US population lives in legitimate rural areas?

Old 05-14-2021, 10:17 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
What percentage of the US population lives in legitimate rural areas?
Your Google must be broken?

Old 05-14-2021, 06:08 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
That map doesn't show which areas have access to high-speed internet. It shows the rate at which people in those areas subscribe to high speed internet. Huge difference. The access is there. So in other words, just another article pushing for a handout for the poor and/or people who don't take responsibility for the betterment of their children.

If they don't care, why should I? I bust my ass for my kids, give them everything and rarely spend money on myself to ensure that they have everything they need and more. Cry me a river for failed parents who don't do the same for theirs.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-14-2021, 06:26 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Having less internet is a better thing for young people. The more connected you are to the internet, the worse you'll be mentally. Young people under 30 should spend more time outside and have real social lives and not be tied to the internet.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:40 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
That map doesn't show which areas have access to high-speed internet. It shows the rate at which people in those areas subscribe to high speed internet. Huge difference. The access is there. So in other words, just another article pushing for a handout for the poor and/or people who don't take responsibility for the betterment of their children.

If they don't care, why should I? I bust my ass for my kids, give them everything and rarely spend money on myself to ensure that they have everything they need and more. Cry me a river for failed parents who don't do the same for theirs.
I agree. Most likely people who never should've had children to begin with. Having internet now is the same thing as having a landline phone back in the day. You can't afford it, why the heck you having children?

Old 05-14-2021, 06:50 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
That map is bull. I used to get Gigbit Fios internet in the part of the bronx where it say "Low"

SMH

Old 05-14-2021, 07:26 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
That map is bull. I used to get Gigbit Fios internet in the part of the bronx where it say "Low"

SMH
See my post for why. It's trying to pull at heart strings because they know most people are too stupid to actually parse what the data they are using means.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: