Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times

Advertisements

I have a separate question. What the area around Crotona park called? The part along Boston Road, that has a lot of houses. I know there's pj's around there too. Are those two separate neighborhoods? I've heard people refer to the part with the houses as Crotona. But as far as I can tell there is no official neighborhood called Crotona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:35 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Dude that is soooooo not Longwood..that is Morrisania 100%. Longwood refers to a very specific area of Hunts Point that encompasses the beautiful brownstones. It became Longwood as a way to seperate itself from the Hunts Point image....Longwood proper is from the Bruckner to the 2/5 train station Prospect ave...it goes not further than Intervale..everything West (the other side of the train) is Morrisania....
lol now I'm confused. I used to think that Longwood was below the Bruckner as is Hunts Point. What I tought was that the neighborhood with houses was Longwood and the bad part was Hunts Point.

But what do I know....I'm talking to a third generation South Bronx man.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I have a separate question. What the area around Crotona park called? The part along Boston Road, that has a lot of houses. I know there's pj's around there too. Are those two separate neighborhoods? I've heard people refer to the part with the houses as Crotona. But as far as I can tell there is no official neighborhood called Crotona.
I know that the vast amount of projects have their own name. The Webster, Morris and Butler houses from Third on to Washington and E 169th to E 170th are called Claremont Village.

I've read an article where that area was just called Crotona. But I would think it's Morrisania.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I know that the vast amount of projects have their own name. The Webster, Morris and Butler houses from Third on to Washington and E 169th to E 170th are called Claremont Village.

I've read an article where that area was just called Crotona. But I would think it's Morrisania.
I thought it was Morrisania too. The Crotona name seems to be a local thing. Thanks Mario.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:15 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
It is morrisania, and the subsection is Crotona, like Longwood being a subsection of Hunts Point.

Regarding Longwood, it is basically bordered by Intervale, Bruckner Blvd, Prospect Ave...however LOTS of people call surrounding areas in Morrisania Longwood because Longwood is known for the better homes...don't believe the hype!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:21 AM

Two more neighborhood questions.

The area west of Jerome to the river, from Fordham to Kingsbridge what is it?

Also the area from Jerome to Webster from Bedford Park to Moshulo pkway...what is it?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Also the area from Jerome to Webster from Bedford Park to Moshulo pkway...what is it?
Lol is it me or a lot of areas around Jerome kinda iffy, like people not really knowing what neighborhood they are in.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-12-2008 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
I always loved neighborhood names in the Bronx. So many have that imperial, English royalty tinge- Fordham, Kingsbridge, Bedford Park, Fieldston, Woodlawn, Riverdale, etc.

Some Dutch ones- Spuyten Duyvil, Throggs Neck

Then there are the strange ones like Country Club or Edenwald

Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
the part along boston road is called crotona park south

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:

I think thats still part of University Heights. North of Kingsbridge Road would be Kingsbridge Heights.

Quote:
I think thats Bedford Park. East of Mosholu Pkwy is Norwood.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City