Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
As do I...I recognize the good and the bad that exists in the military that you believe are heroes, and I am also aware of the good and the bad that exists in the NYPD, or any police department for that matter. Yet you choose to call one heroes and the other pigs/lowlives..and you call that non-bias?

Society needs to be exposed to the reality of the police..esp. the NYPD for God's sake. Stop getting your panties in a twist about it. I come real..and I say it like it is.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-18-2008 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
Okay..society needs to be exposed to the realities of the NYPD...but not the military because they are heroes/saints? One group in your eyes is heroes, the other are pigs/lowlives....these are your words...how am I twisting them?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,956 times
I think people somehow along the way misunderstood the question. It was never "are cops in the NYPD bad people". The question was referring to the NYPD as an organization. While there are some terrific people in the NYPD, the subculture that is the NYPD is discriminatory towards certain races/ economic groups and very unprofessional (ever notice how we say department and never agency. Doesn't agency sound so much more professional). There is a tremendous amount of nepotism (much more than the average company) and a racial divide within the agency. Sounds like the perfect recipe for a shi$$y company. I will say that their job is extremely difficult, but one that many of us finishing college in NYC must entertain. I think you truly have to graduate college in NYC and search for a job in NYC to understand how difficult it is. Those that moved to NYC after finding jobs here don't understand how difficult it is to make it in NYC. I graduated John Jay with plenty of people that now work for NYPD and ACS (the other maligned agency) and they are the only people I know making decent money, everyone else is still at the pre - graduation job 2 years later or interviewing for $30,000 jobs 2 years post graduation. There a plenty of cops with bachelors degrees in NYC these days. I give my friends a lot of credit because rather than mope and complain and live with momma till 35 they did the best they could for the time being.

It takes a special type of individual to thrive in NYPD (nepotism and corruption aside). You have to be very strong willed, independent and know when to pick your battles. You have to be intelligent enough to understand that they treat everybody like crap in training to build solidarity (" we are all being treated bad, lets stick together"), thus strengthening the "blue wall of silence". It is not realistic to think you will enter the department and change all of the terrible habits that have been formed for decades. It takes a certain type of wit, courage, and patience to thrive both on those the streets and within the agency. Parents don't develop too many of these type of individuals these days so I don't expect too much improvement in the NYPD in the near future.

Last edited by ogplife; 07-18-2008 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 01:29 PM

I agree with that ogplife...but OVERALL, considering everything you just said, they do a very good job. As a result, to condemn them as pigs/lowlives or some other dumb statement is wrong. They do the best they can considering all the problems inside and outside the dept...so why ridicule them? They certainly do not deserve it.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:04 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,543 times
Default Guywithnocause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I agree with that ogplife...but OVERALL, considering everything you just said, they do a very good job. As a result, to condemn them as pigs/lowlives or some other dumb statement is wrong. They do the best they can considering all the problems inside and outside the dept...so why ridicule them? They certainly do not deserve it.
People are free to express their opinions regardless of whether or not you or anyone else agree with them. That's why this is a blog. Also, if you haven't noticed..it happens in the real world too..you know the one outside of your computer? Yeah..people say what they think and feel. Interesting concept isn't it?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:09 PM

All the personal attacks will not change the fact that you are grossly biased against the police dept..which is your perogative, however it is also my perogative to demonstrate the great responsibilities of the NYPD in keeping safe those that hate them, and those that like them, and dealing with the massive beaurocracy and dysfunction that exist in the dept and the city overall. Military is full of saints and NYPD are full of pigs? You choose to focus on only the positives of one group..and only the negatives of the other...which is your perogative, but nonetheless invalidates your argument.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-18-2008 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 PM

175 posts, read 549,920 times
"Classical Guy, you make many assumptions and state beliefs of mine that I have not expressed."

I quoted you and responded to your quoted statements. I also in separate paragraphs made other points about things other people said. I didn't attribute anything to you that you did not say.

By the way, I never denied that police officers have done bad things in the past, nor have I ever excused the bad things. You made that up and it's false. In any large organization, especially one where people are given the kind of power under color of law that police officers are given, you will have problems. I don't deny, excuse, or attempt to justify the problems. Those officers who violate the public trust deserve to be punished. However, the entire department and law enforcement in general do not deserve to be punished by YOUR prejudices inferred by past wrongdoing of individual officers. You are doing to the police the very same thing that you decry in police officers - developing prejudices against the group based on the bad acts of individuals. Recognizing that the police have a difficult and dangerous and important job, and thus giving them the benefit of the doubt, and treating them respect is the duty of a rational citizen. When they violate the public trust, they should be punished. There is nothing inconsistent in that, and I'm sure all police officers would agree with it.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicalguy View Post
You are doing to the police the very same thing that you decry in police officers - developing prejudices against the group based on the bad acts of individuals.
I don't think it could've been said any better. I truly hope these people who are complaining about the police never have any need for them, because it would be quite ironic if you were to be helped by a group that you so despise.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 PM

175 posts, read 549,920 times
"People are free to express their opinions regardless of whether or not you or anyone else agree with them. That's why this is a blog."

Yes, free speech enables people to say whatever they want, no matter how foolish and ill-considered. I think you've proven that. We also have the right to point that out, and to suggest that you might want to reconsider your silly statements so that we can have a more fruitful discussion. Free speech is a two way street.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:03 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
People are free to express their opinions regardless of whether or not you or anyone else agree with them. That's why this is a blog. Also, if you haven't noticed..it happens in the real world too..you know the one outside of your computer? Yeah..people say what they think and feel. Interesting concept isn't it?
Yes and no,, you do know that you have limits in your freedom of speech...
Like for example.. you cant call people names or bad words to others in public......
Another example... if I am in a store and inside the store I pick a product(any product) and put it in my pocket.. and some security guard(or anybody) start creaming thief(and you are still inside the store). Yes you have freedom to call me a thief,,, and i have the freedom to sue the person...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City