U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:31 PM

318 posts, read 723,952 times
You're right about the HS students using the Mosholu stop. Maybe the Woodlawn and Mosholu stops should be switched around. Not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,622,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
I can only really speak about the last three of SuperMarios. I think Woodlawn is a very nice neighborhood, but the area where the Woodlawn train stops is pretty seedy. I think the Bedford Park station is better than the Mosholu station, which is to the north of Mosholu Parkway. So I'd put them:

Woodlawn
Mosholu
Bedford Park
What? That area is a little bit rough around the edges near Woodlawn station, but I wouldn't call it seedy by any stretch of the imagination.

I take the bus there all the time and never have any problems.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 PM

2,978 posts, read 850,444 times
SuperWario:

The Northern Border of Hunts Point is Westchester Avenue, The Bronx River to the East, the East River to the South, and Prospect Ave to the West. Prospect ave is the border. Longwood does not go to 167..nor does it cross Westchester Ave. Longwood is the specific subsection of Longwood that is from the Bruckner West to Prospect Ave station...it encompasses the brownstones around that area.

Simpson Street is also on the border (westchester ave) of Hunts Point...so it straddles Hunts Point, as does Prospect Ave...all depends which side of the street you are on. Prospect Avenue also seperates Longwood (Hunts POint) from Mott Haven.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 PM

318 posts, read 723,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
What? That area is a little bit rough around the edges near Woodlawn station, but I wouldn't call it seedy by any stretch of the imagination.

I take the bus there all the time and never have any problems.
It's much nicer farther south (closer to Montifiore), but going further north it changes. That abandoned building doesn't help. I never see abandoned buildings in New York anymore...Maybe that's why you see less maintenance in general around there which gives the area a seedy atmosphere.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM

Pete around me there are still a few, maybe a handful, but just about all have been converted to affordable housing...which has been a big plus for the area.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:58 PM

473 posts, read 1,134,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
SuperWario: ..... Longwood is the specific subsection of Longwood.....
you meant - specific section of hunts point

Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM

yes..nice catch!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,622,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
It's much nicer farther south (closer to Montifiore), but going further north it changes. That abandoned building doesn't help. I never see abandoned buildings in New York anymore...Maybe that's why you see less maintenance in general around there which gives the area a seedy atmosphere.
Which abandoned building? You mean next to the Dancing school? The bar next to the bus stop plays their music a little bit loud at night, but beyond that I honestly can't find any fault with that block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City