Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 02:05 PM

82 posts, read 377,610 times

Advertisements

hi, I live in chinatown, new york city. my roommate for 3 years moved out last year and i'm getting all these credit card mails saying she owes money. the problem is that i dont' know where she moved to and i don't know if she's still in the country...
I don't want police or FBI knocking on my door saying I OWE them money!
any suggestions/advise?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 02:23 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,174 times
Well the police/f.b.i do not issue credit cards so you won't have to worry about owing "them". If the cards are NOT in your name, you have nothing to worry about.

However, by opening mail that is addressed to your room mate, you are committing a federal crime. Simply write "return to sender" and stick it back in the box or give it to the post-officer if you see her/him.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:27 PM

this is not just 1 letter, it's like collection letters, cc companies....
i've gotten like 50 of them! i'm afraid one of these days they're come knockingon my door.........'cause u know why? HER NAME AND MY NAME ARE SIMILAR. all chinese names are similar! gosh...

Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
i've gotten like 50 of them! i'm afraid one of these days they're come knockingon my door.........'cause u know why? HER NAME AND MY NAME ARE SIMILAR. all chinese names are similar! gosh...
just write return to sender on a whole bunch of mail and leave it outside your box/ dump them at your post office. ... You have nothing to worry about if it's not you - no matter how similar the names are. That's what ss #s are for!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Mark the mail "Moved - Address Unknown" - Bring it to the Post Office and ask the clerk to have USPS records updated indicating that mail for this person at your address should automatically be returned to sender as undeliverable.

This is not a criminal matter. Law enforcement would only inquire if the previous resident committed fraud. In that case, you would just be asked if you knew where they moved.

I used to work in credit card security.

Being in debt's not a crime.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:12 AM

i think my roomate committed a fraud..........used someone else's ss# and name.......

Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
If it is not your debt then you have nothing to worry about.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 PM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
If you are paranoid, get a credit check and find out what cc accts are opened in your name. If its the worst case, the earlier you deal with this, the better.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
If you are paranoid, get a credit check and find out what cc accts are opened in your name. If its the worst case, the earlier you deal with this, the better.
Or check your credit history,,
If you havent done this, is free once a year.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
I personally would be hand carrying them to the post office, tell them the story, tell them she no longer lives there and you don't know her forwarding address.

They normally stamp it with a "Return to sender, addressee unknown" or something to that effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City