Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
You guys don't charge illegal Mexicans, so why should you charge Irish people?
Believe it or not, EVERYONE is charged. Unless they have Medicaid. To have Medicaid you need a green card.

And medical and dental emergencies happen to everyone. So be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 05:44 AM

14 posts, read 82,848 times
Thanks for the advice Viralmd. I had heard that medical bills are ridiculously expensive over there if you're not insured, so fingers crossed I stay in tip-top shape!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,595 times
missgoosylucy - i feel your pain..im mad to go out to work in new york..tryin to get a visa is disasterous!i am going out for 10 nights now on march 12th and im strongly considering missing my flat home! its worth a shot! and if its not workin il travel on to canada or somewhere else. my plan is to walk into an irish bar and hope that someone will advise me or possibly help me out...am i mad???

Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 AM

203 posts, read 664,641 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, EVERYONE is charged. Unless they have Medicaid
They can't deny you care if you go to the ER...they might charge you but doesn't mean they'll get paid. Not saying that you should take advantage of this.
OP: it is unfortunate that you want to come live and work here and the only choice is come here and work without a visa. But I don't think its worth it. I think the majority of immigrants without work visas are here from third world countries where there are no decent job opportunities. That doesn't seem like the case for you. Like others said, you will be paid poorly and the employer will take advantage of you.

Last edited by Cyclops99; 02-17-2010 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 AM

3 posts, read 6,324 times
Hey man there's a guy named Richard berk in times square who performs as the naked cowboy a d for 500 per month, he can franchise his naked cowboy name for you to use too!
The tips are great I hear!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotherculeez View Post
Hey man there's a guy named Richard berk in times square who performs as the naked cowboy a d for 500 per month, he can franchise his naked cowboy name for you to use too!
The tips are great I hear!
ROFL!
I'm wondering if the OP ever did come here, though. It's been a couple of years since they first posted.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missgoosylucy View Post
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how difficult it would be to find work in NY without a visa. I'm Irish and I work in a government department at home but I would love to work for a few months in New York, maybe at the end of the year. Is bar/restaurant work easy to get without the proper documentation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Locals can't get jobs...you are going to be SOL, sorry. A lot of co's do not want to have to sponsor someone. Our economy is just as bad as yours now...probably worse.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,324 times
Yup. Probably he did get here and he might have a job in a pub or construction
But he's ok though as he has a job to go back to!
Lots of folks don't have that luxury!
Maybe he applied for the diversity visa and he managed to get a job legally here! If we were as smart and savvy like the naked cowboy I'm sure we'd all do ok! I hear he has become quite well off indeed!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Small time independent restaurants aren't likely to ask questions since many of them pay under the table anyway and are halfway shady to begin with. Construction jobs are also a good bet. I briefly worked for an outfit that knowingly employed several illegals because they worked their ass off for relatively crap pay.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,336 times
please i really need your help guys, i am from nigeria, i live in new york, i need a job to do but no working permit and i am so bored in the house, i need to work, pls thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City