Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,951 times

Advertisements

I would live in Baton Rouge, b/f I lived in N.O. if I were to live in Louisiana. It is much less trashy than New Orleans, and the Live Oak Trees and Architecture are gorgeous. Parts of Louisiana are really beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 AM

518 posts, read 626,568 times
Default Have New Yorkers EVER considered NEW ORLEANS?

Not only did we consider it, we actually moved there in 1999. LOVED it - the wonderful historic old neighborhoods (Uptown, where we lived, the Garden District, the French Quarter). We must have walked 20 blocks or more every day just drinking in the sights. It was so beautiful.

We had to evacuate 15 hours before Katrina hit. We don't drive so had to depend on the kindness of our landlady to drive us out. It was hell for six weeks (we had left almost all our clothes and belongings back in New Orleans)and temporarily lived in motels in Memphis and Gainesville, FL before finally settling back in our home city of New York. We've been back now 3 years now and if we could go back to New Orleans, we'd go in a heartbeat. The crime is SO bad post-Katrina that at this time we'd be very hesitant to even go back for a brief visit least of all move back there. We miss it every minute of every day. New Orleans is the most European of all American cities and the atmosphere and pace was just so laid back and relaxed. Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans? Yes, with all our hearts.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 AM

468 posts, read 2,358,256 times
San Francisco is a bit like the NY of the West Coast: super expensive, liberal political culture, and a car isn't necessary to live well. I wouldn't really say any of these are similar to New Orleans.

NOLA is a really cheap city with a lot of crime and a small counter-cultural hippie contingent that is sometimes overshadowed by fratboy debauchery around Bourbon Street. I don't know whether a "typical" New Yorker (whatever that'd be) would necessarily be happy there.

Miami Beach was basically built by Jews from NYC escaping the city following the opening up of cheap airfare. So there's a historical connection between Miami and NYC that's still strong (even now that the area has become so much more influenced by Latin America).

Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
i know one thing: i think i'll treat myself to a chris paul jersey for my b-day

CP3 MVP

prolly the best thing about New Orleans right now is the Hornets.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-16-2008, 01:18 AM

508 posts, read 2,119,559 times
I think before there will be serious investments in NOLA, they will have to completely replace the levees for people to feel comfortable. And with the economy and the country's budget issues (read: money being spent on the war), it will be difficult to come up with. Which is a really sad thing IMO.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:12 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
My heart is certainly with that city, to which I've visited there 4 times (3 pre, 1 post-Katrina). The food and music are second to none!

Why I thought about the city
1. Attractive job listing at the time (pre-K); could've lived like a king on the salary!
2. Very inexpensive property (even pre-K; potential investment post-K!)
3. Food, music and culture are swingin!

Why I said no to living there
1. Political corruption
2. I'm too doggone used to everything New York has to offer!
3. Crime

The crime is one thing, but the Louisianan politics have some serious issues on top of that, and that will keep many away from N.O. I remember the first time I ever visited that city. Governor Edwards was just convicted! (that was a beautiful welcome--Ha!) While I love that city with all my heart, I have to say no to living there!

PS: The potential for investment is certainly there, but knowing how to deal with fixed-uppers, plus being able to handle the politics, are two big requirements for investing in the Big Easy

Last edited by scatman; 05-16-2008 at 03:21 AM..

Old 05-16-2008, 11:01 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,072 times
I would go for a vacation. I hear N.O is a great city to vist. Great food, music, and culture. Sadly, Katrina messed things up a bit (okay a lot), but I am willing to visit this great city to soak up the jazz and gumbo!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
New Orleans is nice but I don't think that I would want to live there. I am basically a NYC guy at heart so even though, I like visiting NO, living there I would probably go stir crazy. Also, I don't think the employment situation is great.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:49 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
It's a city that I have often thought about for vacation. I've always wanted to have breakfast at Brennan's! I do hope to get there some day.

Charley
born and raised in New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City