U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 25,385 times

Advertisements

I have gotten into some trouble in the past and want to know if I still would be able to get into nyc corrections. 7 years ago I was arrested for petty larceny and the case was expunged from my record but law enforcement agencies still have access to it. I also was arrested for a dui 3 months ago but my lawyer says that we should beat the case due to a technicality. Is there still a chance that I can get in or am I wasting my time???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:06 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,038,862 times
[SIZE=3][LEFT]Driver License Requirement: [/SIZE][SIZE=3]You must possess a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York at the time of appointment. If you have moving violations, license suspensions or an accident record, you may be disqualified. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.[/SIZE]
[/LEFT]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]Character and Background[/SIZE][SIZE=3]: Proof of good character and satisfactory background will be absolute prerequisites to appointment. The following are among the factors which would ordinarily be cause for disqualification: (a) conviction of a felony; (b) conviction of any offense, the nature of which indicates lack of good moral character or disposition towards violence or disorder; (c) repeated convictions of an offense, where such convictions indicate a disrespect for the law; (d) discharge from employment, where such discharge indicates poor behavior or inability to adjust to discipline; (e) dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces; (f) conviction for petit larceny and (g) conviction for domestic violence.[/LEFT]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 PM

11,592 posts, read 15,937,908 times
in ny any arrests that are sealed cannot be disclosed to any private or public employer; however in the event of any application to possess guns or for a police officer job even a sealed arrest that did not lead to conviction can be disclosed to law enforcement(NY state CPL 160.50)

Old 05-16-2008, 11:13 PM

I have a drivers license and I know that information that you guys have stated.... My question is, with those issues do I stand a chance to get into nyc corrections????

Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 PM

for an ordinary non-law enforcement job, since your record was expunged and the second one sounds like you won't be convicted, nothing should be an issue

however since this is law enforcement, they have the right to see arrests that did not lead to conviction and even sealed or expunged records most likely

although the info you see posted by cjma79 talks about convictions only (and it seems like you don't have any convictions per se) you might be safe in that respect but remember that the police can ask you about arrests that did not lead to conviction in ways that other employers cannot.

an ordinary employer would not have access to the fact that you were arrested but had the record sealed or expunged; most likely it would just show a clean hit

but law enforcement probably can ask you to describe what happened and the circumstances of expungement to judge your character and they can always make an independent judgment about it despite the fact that your records are expunged

on the other hand there doesn't seem to be anything in your background really serious

Old 05-17-2008, 05:50 PM

Thank you RLRL, So basically it isn't a sure thing but there is a 50/50 shot that I could get into the department b/c these 2 incidents aren't as bad as many other offenses?? I know the department needs people and this is my only obstacle(the backround check) if this is an issue. I just don't want to go through the entire process to find out that these issues will prohibit me from becoming a correction officer. I want the job and if there is a chance that I can get in then I want to go for it. But at the same time if in reality I don't have a chance then I don't want to waste my vacation days, time and effort attaining all the paperwork, going through the medical, psych and fitness exam to be told that my file will be on hold or review when they really are telling that I won't get the position.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:13 PM

were you actually convicted for larceny on the first offense or was it an arrest that did not lead to conviction?

what was the disposition for the second case? if you don't know yet you'd have to explain the status of it on interview as it would be pending

it helps for both cases to be just arrests that did not lead to conviction because then your record will look better but law enforcement investigates all arrests whether a conviction resulted or not(to my knowledge anyway)

you may want to try policeworld.net and ask someone over there and read similar posts about applicants experiences with backgrounds and le. i'll bet they can advise you well

Old 05-17-2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the advise.... The first offense was a youthful offender and it was an arrest but the case was expunged not sure if that counts as a conviction or not. But from what i was told it shouldn't count against me b/c I was a youthful offender.. I should find out the results of this other matter by next weeks end. I am going to check out policeworld.net... So what I have gathered from this is to give it a shot and who knows b/c it can go either way.... I appreciate you giving me some information if there is anything else that you think of that might pertain to this situation or another thread shoot me a line. When my time comes I'll respond to the thread and share the outcome of my experience.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:51 PM

there is also the askmehelpdesk.com and freeadvice.com, register with a password and user id and post your questions in the law/criminal law boards. you will get a hodgepodge of posters who have histories of employment in law enforcement who know what they're talking about to those who have no idea of what they're talking about but act like they do

i know in ny they make it clear that if you have been arrested for any reason, even if the case was expunged that you must report it because le is legally entitled to receive such records from ny dcjs in ways that other employers are not

so regardless of what others tell you on these boards, read the questions carefully and disclose what they are asking for

Old 09-06-2013, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,846 times
I trying to work with children threw ocfs or doc. i currently hold a certicate for medical assistant, CPR, I also did state time but I have a certificate of relief. I have a clean class E license along with cdl b permit alot of reference letters for support. I've done alot of free community service work. Can I ever get in corrections or any jobs helping youth offenders??????? My chargers on my state bid was forgery 2 nd and I did a 2 to 6 but the arrest date is over ten yrs old. 2003/10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City