U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-19-2008, 12:49 PM

274 posts, read 753,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well I am engaged and my fiance and I eat sushi all the time and go out to fancy restaurants. Other than that, I don't have any extravagant life lol. I'm not into buying all expensive stuff.
You are definitely a yuppie if you think eating sushi "all the time" and going out to "fancy restaurants" is not "expensive stuff".

I think the entry-level yuppie is:

Anyone who grew up in a middle/upper middle class 'burb, is college-educated on mom & dad's dime, moves to an urban area, works a white collar job (income is irrelevant), dresses "corporate" on weekdays and Gap/Banana Republic/J.Crew on weekends, aspires to 2.5 kids and/or a well-funded 401(k), hasn't shopped at Kmart since college, drinks wine and/or "imported" beer, doesn't have a particularly large trust fund (if at all) but will inherit a decent amount when mom & dad kick, cares about keeping up appearances, and wonders if they are a yuppie.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 12:51 PM

274 posts, read 753,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
the star in the movie "American Psycho" is a yuppie.
The American Psycho guy is what many think of as a yuppie, and some yuppies aspire to that.

But the American Psycho type is really an insecure trustafarian who has a chip on his shoulder about family money and is intent on showing dad and the world that he can make it "on his own" (e.g., Elliot Spitzer).

Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM

3,235 posts, read 4,924,003 times
Hipster = wears random clothing for the sake of being "different"... scarves in the summer. stupid sunglasses. Goes to art school so they can graduate and work at Starbucks. Is really into activism... only when its convenient for them. Hates other sub cultures such as preppies for being snobby but act more snobby and stuck up than preppies.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:28 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,241,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
Anyone who grew up in a middle/upper middle class 'burb, is college-educated on mom & dad's dime, moves to an urban area, works a white collar job (income is irrelevant), dresses "corporate" on weekdays and Gap/Banana Republic/J.Crew on weekends, aspires to 2.5 kids and/or a well-funded 401(k), hasn't shopped at Kmart since college, drinks wine and/or "imported" beer, doesn't have a particularly large trust fund (if at all) but will inherit a decent amount when mom & dad kick, cares about keeping up appearances, and wonders if they are a yuppie.

lol you just described me in one paragraph minus the wine/beer thing since I don't drink.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:58 PM

47 posts, read 181,923 times
And the big inheritance. :P You also forgot Starbucks, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's (although I guess that's in the hipster range too?)

Old 05-19-2008, 02:58 PM

1,276 posts, read 2,738,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
You are definitely a yuppie if you think eating sushi "all the time" and going out to "fancy restaurants" is not "expensive stuff".

I think the entry-level yuppie is:

lol Ace Rock....pretty good description.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:47 PM

174 posts, read 252,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol you just described me in one paragraph minus the wine/beer thing since I don't drink.

Yea, another one. so what happened on sex in the city, nevermind dont care. thanks for coming but u can turn around and back track. U should end up at your original location. u should try it this weekend. lol.

ah just joking.....kinda. not really. lol. ehh...i laughed.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:56 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,241,257 times
I don't like sex and the city, never saw and don't care for it. I'm not your typical extravagant sex and the city-wannabe lol

Old 05-19-2008, 08:42 PM

923 posts, read 2,386,838 times
OK - Lemme see if I got this straight...

Any white person who went to college and works in a professional job is a Yuppie.

That must mean my friend who grew up in Princeton, has an MBA from NYU, lives in a brand-new condo on the UES and wears Armani is NOT a Yuppie because he is Chinese-American.

Hmm... how about my friend from New Jersey who is an educated and very highly paid computer programmer who loves fine dining and expensive clothes. Oops, he's a black guy from Jamaica (the Caribbean one, not the one in Queens), so he doesn't count either.

However, I have another friend, who is white and has lived his whole life in Sheepshead Bay, he must be a yuppie because he is a college graduate and a well-paid retail consultant working in Manhattan. He loves Belgian beer too. Oh, wait, he's "Real New Yorker" with a real Brooklyn accent so he gets a pass, I guess.

I guess I need to look at myself... Oh no! I'm white, I graduated from college, and my parents paid for it, with their cushy jobs as a truck driver and a secretary. Oh, no... I work in a professional job, and am relatively well paid for it. I'm must be a Yuppie! I even have a 401(k). That means I have to get rid of my jeans from Target and get to J Crew ASAP. Then I need to get that Budweiser out of the fridge and replace it with a fine Pinot Noir. Damn, no wings and hockey this weekend, I've gotta go to Masa for sushi... but I don't really like sushi... but I have to... since I'm a Yuppie

Is anyone beginning to see how ridiculous these characterizations are?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:05 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,738,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
OK - Lemme see if I got this straight...

Any white person who went to college and works in a professional job is a Yuppie.

That must mean my friend who grew up in Princeton, has an MBA from NYU, lives in a brand-new condo on the UES and wears Armani is NOT a Yuppie because he is Chinese-American.

Hmm... how about my friend from New Jersey who is an educated and very highly paid computer programmer who loves fine dining and expensive clothes. Oops, he's a black guy from Jamaica (the Caribbean one, not the one in Queens), so he doesn't count either.

However, I have another friend, who is white and has lived his whole life in Sheepshead Bay, he must be a yuppie because he is a college graduate and a well-paid retail consultant working in Manhattan. He loves Belgian beer too. Oh, wait, he's "Real New Yorker" with a real Brooklyn accent so he gets a pass, I guess.

I guess I need to look at myself... Oh no! I'm white, I graduated from college, and my parents paid for it, with their cushy jobs as a truck driver and a secretary. Oh, no... I work in a professional job, and am relatively well paid for it. I'm must be a Yuppie! I even have a 401(k). That means I have to get rid of my jeans from Target and get to J Crew ASAP. Then I need to get that Budweiser out of the fridge and replace it with a fine Pinot Noir. Damn, no wings and hockey this weekend, I've gotta go to Masa for sushi... but I don't really like sushi... but I have to... since I'm a Yuppie

Is anyone beginning to see how ridiculous these characterizations are?

Yup, the characterizations are ridiculous. People on this thread like to come down on educated, professional people from dumb reasons like "daddy paid for school" and "they wear funny clothes"

To hate on a particular yuppie/ hipster b/c they were personally arrogant or rude to you is fine. But to make large generalizations about young professional people is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City