Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 06:55 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,275 times

Advertisements

There seem to be quite a lot of establishments which have closed recently in the area. There is at least 1 empty storefront every 1 or 2 blocks. Also, all of the new and exciting places look like they are opening in 5th Avenue, instead.

Is it just that the commercial rents are more expensive on 7th Avenue? Will these drag prices of the corresponding residential areas closer to 7th Avenue down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 AM

151 posts, read 525,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-of-nowhere View Post
There seem to be quite a lot of establishments which have closed recently in the area. There is at least 1 empty storefront every 1 or 2 blocks. Also, all of the new and exciting places look like they are opening in 5th Avenue, instead.

Is it just that the commercial rents are more expensive on 7th Avenue? Will these drag prices of the corresponding residential areas closer to 7th Avenue down?
People took out mortgages they couldn't afford to buy property in an overvalued area. Now the chickens have come home to roost... that's all. Someone will scoop up the empty space soon enough.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,667 times
I work in the area, as far as I heard the rents are just very very high on 7th

Old 05-19-2008, 03:04 PM

47 posts, read 270,923 times
Reminds me of Philly's Walnut Street. There's a corner location one block from Rittenhouse Square, right by Coach and Burberry, that used to be a Bath & Body Works. BBW moved to a nearby less expensive place and it's been vacant over a year...which is pretty unfortunate for such a "prime" spot. But the rent must just be too high.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
What establishments? I used to live in the area?

My guess.....The two mom/pop bookstores left. B&N is taking EVERYONE out!

Hard guess what else, other than some overchic bars (and there are a few!)

Old 05-19-2008, 07:04 PM

Yeah, there's just the B&N across from Rittenhouse Square and Borders on Broad and Chestnut. I don't recall any mom/pop bookstores in the area even back in 2002.

There's a whole lot of the "standard" clothes stores, a lesser variety of shoes, some cosmetics, banks, cell phone stores and pricey restaurants (unfortunately Rouge does make the best burger in the area). Plus Williams-Sonoma and Tiffany's closer to Broad. We've also gotten a Macy's in the last two years with Strawbridge's being closed.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emroyka View Post
Yeah, there's just the B&N across from Rittenhouse Square and Borders on Broad and Chestnut. I don't recall any mom/pop bookstores in the area even back in 2002.

There's a whole lot of the "standard" clothes stores, a lesser variety of shoes, some cosmetics, banks, cell phone stores and pricey restaurants (unfortunately Rouge does make the best burger in the area). Plus Williams-Sonoma and Tiffany's closer to Broad. We've also gotten a Macy's in the last two years with Strawbridge's being closed.
Are we talking Park Slope Brooklyn, or are we talking Philly?

Old 05-20-2008, 12:14 AM

Doh - of course you were replying to the, um, actual topic. Stupid me.

I'm about to move so forgive me for still having Philly on the brain. But I'd certainly appreciate any recommendations on places to check out (especially non-restaurant if possible as I prefer eating within walking distance of home) in Park Slope. I didn't get to see much of 5th avenue the time I checked the neighborhood out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City