Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 25,033 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am from Belgian, and have just been offered a contract in NYC! Youpi! Or is it?
I have been told I will earn a salary of 50k (in the best case senario). I will be going there on a H1b visa which entitles me to work but no my wife (even though she has a masters degree in Internationa negociation and project management...). Thus I will be the only family income. We also have a son of three.
I was informed that after tax and health inssurance I will get 2400 dolars per month. (under such a visa I am considered as taxable as a US citenzen)
My job is in the Bronx so I would be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in " ok" places of the Bronx, or Inwood/Washintong Heights. I see prices of around 1200-1500 dollars per month. Does that make sense?
Are the prices given on the craiglist for example, the total rent all included? or are their hidden things to pay extra besides that (excluding of course gas and such). I mean like taxes of that rent, or city fees that haven t been deduced from my salary already?
How much is a broker fee?
Is it safe to rent directly from owners? We did that once in France and it can be quite a chalenge when things go wrong (like broken windows...)

In the case I chose a 1200 dollars a month app. would the rest (1200 dols) be enough to live normally with a wife and kid? We are not party people, so no need to budget for drinks and stuff (or babysitters). We are more daly outing type and an occasional thearter / movie visit too... As long as my wife can t work will not need day care.
It is hard to know how much life costs besides rent.
Like how much does a mobil phone cost per month?
Internet at home? Are their television taxes? (taxes if you own a TV, like in the UK). If I have to take the metro, how much does a monthly or yearly (?) ticket cost?
Well I think you understand what I am trying to find out, so any help will be most welcome.
Merci!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 01:35 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,474,002 times
if you pay 1,200 dollars you will have 1,781 left.

Also I have created a simple excel.
Only input on B column. and C will automatically change.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...living-nyc.zip

Old 05-20-2008, 03:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,017,873 times
My mobile phone bill is around $80 per month. This includes taxes and fees which are quite high. Example: my last phone plan (before this one) was 39.99 per month and with taxes and fees the total bill was always $52. Take a look at t-mobile or sprint on line to see what you can get.

You will probably need a family plan for the mobile phone, or if not, then you will need to get a land line for your wife and child at home while you are out.

My internet bill is $62 for cable internet and basic tv. There is no tax to own a tv here.

An unlimited metro card (which includes regular city buses as well as the subway) is $81 per month. If you are living in NYC and not outside, that's all you will need. Though that's just for one person. There's no way for more than one person to share an unlimited card.

You will need to think about a budget for furnishing your apartment. When apartments are unfurnished it means there is nothing in them at all. You're lucky if there's even an overhead light to turn on. besides rent, you might have to pay
-heat
-hot water (this is usually included)
-electric
-cooking gas
-internet
-phone
-laundry

Some other rentals in places in the US have fees for things like trash removal and water bill, but I have never heard of this in rentals. Also there are no taxes on renting.

Usually laundry is pay-per-use even if there are laundry machines in the building. I think my machines are around $1.75 per load, plus 25 cents for 5 minutes drying.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:16 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,848,440 times
Henna covered just about everything.

Of course, how often you go out for dinner, etc. is your choice, as well as how expensive a restaurant. But going to a movie is NOT cheap here (I haven't been in YEARS because I don't like people talking through the entire movie, which is what seems to be more and more common!), but when I last checked, one adult movie ticket was around $10.50. I wait for the movies to show up on DVD or cable.

The theater isn't cheap (nor is a babysitter) but you know, of course, that Broadway is one of the great theatrical centers anywhere. The museums are wonderful, but they do have a 'suggested' admission fee.

Best of luck!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:19 AM

Thanks for the replies! Gives me a much better idea of the daly costs.
We basically don t go out very often... a few times a year or so, mainly for birthdays and stuff, so that isn t a problem. here we live in a small village with cows and sheep, and all is in dutch! It will be a huge leap going to NYC, but I am sure we shall love it! At last we will be able to speak english and spannish!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,330,485 times
Belgians moving to the Bronx? Thats going to be quite a transition. I think Riverdale might be the best choice for that. $50k is not a lot to support a family of 3 on in NYC. Most of the public schools in the Bronx are not too great, but you will not have enough money to afford private schools on that salary. Luckily your kid is young enough where you don't have to worry about that so much.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,330,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
My mobile phone bill is around $80 per month. This includes taxes and fees which are quite high. Example: my last phone plan (before this one) was 39.99 per month and with taxes and fees the total bill was always $52. Take a look at t-mobile or sprint on line to see what you can get.

You will probably need a family plan for the mobile phone, or if not, then you will need to get a land line for your wife and child at home while you are out.

My internet bill is $62 for cable internet and basic tv. There is no tax to own a tv here.

An unlimited metro card (which includes regular city buses as well as the subway) is $81 per month. If you are living in NYC and not outside, that's all you will need. Though that's just for one person. There's no way for more than one person to share an unlimited card.

You will need to think about a budget for furnishing your apartment. When apartments are unfurnished it means there is nothing in them at all. You're lucky if there's even an overhead light to turn on. besides rent, you might have to pay
-heat
-hot water (this is usually included)
-electric
-cooking gas
-internet
-phone
-laundry

Some other rentals in places in the US have fees for things like trash removal and water bill, but I have never heard of this in rentals. Also there are no taxes on renting.

Usually laundry is pay-per-use even if there are laundry machines in the building. I think my machines are around $1.75 per load, plus 25 cents for 5 minutes drying.
How do you only pay $63 for cable and internet? I feel like I'm getting ripped. My Cablevision bill is about $90 a month for internet and cable TV. I dont' have any packages, just the basic TV (plus remote & box which I believe are mandatory).

Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 AM

That's just about what I pay, as well...I do NOT, however, have HBO or any special cable channels.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Belgians moving to the Bronx? Thats going to be quite a transition. I think Riverdale might be the best choice for that. $50k is not a lot to support a family of 3 on in NYC. Most of the public schools in the Bronx are not too great, but you will not have enough money to afford private schools on that salary. Luckily your kid is young enough where you don't have to worry about that so much.
Yeah well, that is what my passport says... actually, I have never really lived in Belgium. My wife is from Ecuador where I also lived a fair number of years. I have visited the Bronx and I liked the latino presence very much! At least I can speak spannish fluently, so that isn t a prob.
I was thinking about living in WaHi, more than in the Bronx actually... any suggestions there?
Riverdale, ok I ll check that out too.

I know schools will be a problem. Of course public will be the way to go. I ll check out forums on that subject. I will have to check that out once there, and I know that 50k is not a lot for a family. Stupid H4 visa restrictions for my wife. But I don t won't to get into that debate. I have lived in numerous countires, and know that country rules are country rules, point.
Thanks for the insights!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM

If you're going to need public schools, please consider Riverdale. The public schools in Washington Heights aren't what anyone would consider the better ones of the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City