Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 09:33 AM

105,677 posts, read 107,645,851 times

Advertisements

Many landlords who do have cameras likely just did it and never consulted attorneys as to the ramifications of it nor clearly spelling out in the leases or via a signed letter by the tenants that they assume no Guarantee of security ….

Nothing is a problem until it’s a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 11:16 PM

15,805 posts, read 6,631,643 times
One would expect that the more people are piled atop each other the greater
the potential for incident and so the greater the need for security mounted devices.

Common Sense is not so common among people.........so enlisting the help of an attorney is a smart choice .

But if you ask me..............One more reason.........why you can't pay me enough to ever move back to an apartment.

No greater freedom than not having to answer to anybody. I find enjoyment in shoveling my own snow and doing my own landscaping.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
We have cameras all over the common areas in my bldg and also in my mom's because of owners setting up illegal BnB's.
Mgmt wants to catch them in the act! Also, to prevent package thefts or any other such illegal activity. I don't mind. If you have nothing to hide, I don't care.

I definitely would feel safe entering any building with roving eyes..........

Old 04-26-2022, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
One would expect that the more people are piled atop each other the greater
the potential for incident and so the greater the need for security mounted devices.

Common Sense is not so common among people.........so enlisting the help of an attorney is a smart choice .

But if you ask me..............One more reason.........why you can't pay me enough to ever move back to an apartment.

No greater freedom than not having to answer to anybody. I find enjoyment in shoveling my own snow and doing my own landscaping.
Last thing I want now is to waste time with the chores of a house .

I want my housing transparent…we eat and sleep there and that is all I ask of it …

I want no grass to cut , no maintenance to do and I don’t even know what a snow shovel is as I haven’t owned one in more than 20 years .

If I ever bought again it would likely be only a condo in a high rise

Old 04-26-2022, 05:34 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,962,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
No , rent stabilized tenants have far more rights than coop owners who are bound by whatever the coop board decides…
I understand this but it sounds illogical that an owner would have fewer rights than a renter.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I understand this but it sounds illogical that an owner would have fewer rights than a renter.
Did you ever see a landlord bill of rights ?

Nope , never , never will ….but there are endless tenant bill of rights.

Only thing a landlord has is standard contract law …

Tenants have all the protected rights.

Tenants are protected by a specific bill of rights for renters as well as standard contract law

https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/file...nts_rights.pdf

https://comptroller.nyc.gov/wp-conte...-of-Rights.pdf

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-26-2022 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-26-2022, 08:24 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,345,608 times
Given the vast proliferation of cameras in the indoor public ares of both rental and owner occupied multi-unit buildings, I don't think you're right about this. CCTV. systems have been a fixure for well more than a decade. If there was a liability issue, it would be very well know, and thus wouldn't be the case.

Quote:
Many landlords who do have cameras likely just did it and never consulted attorneys as to the ramifications of it nor clearly spelling out in the leases or via a signed letter by the tenants that they assume no Guarantee of security ….

Nothing is a problem until it’s a problem

Old 04-27-2022, 03:57 AM

Nothing is a problem until someone makes it a problem .

Don’t say I am not correct because most attorneys will tell you the same thing .as a landlord you expose yourself to law suits .

Besides our building attorney and my son saying the same thing , here is another ny attorney who specializes in these kinds of security cases ,warning about it .

“Ken Kirschenbaum, Esq., is a New York-licensed lawyer practicing with Kirschenbaum & Kirschenbaum PC, a Long Island legal firm with a rich history of assisting clients in security and alarm related matters. “

“ The issue of camera installation continues to plague property owners and security dealers because there is so little precedent to rely upon.

“The public's perception of CCTV coverage -- or for that matter guard coverage -- is probably not accurate with reality. Rarely is CCTV manned and more often than not security guards are instructed not to get involved in an incident other than to communicate with the police to report an incident.

A reasonable person on the premises should be able to figure out what kind of security exists on the premises, and an owner creating a false sense of security should expect to be held responsible, not necessarily for the entire injury or loss, but contributing to it by the injured party not taking other security measures because of the false sense of security.”

https://www.securityinfowatch.com/vi...llance-cameras

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-27-2022 at 04:27 AM..

Old 04-27-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
There are implied legalities that go with installing cameras when done by the building

They can find themselves in law suit after law suit as tenants have an expectation of monitored security

Expectation? I get what you are saying.

I also get that people will sue for anything nowadays. Sad.
You can indict a ham sandwich.... Bonfire of the vanities.
All one needs is a frivolous case and a great lawyer.

So rather than not install a security system without getting sued
how does one install a security system to which all agree?

Hmmmmmmmmmm? I would guess...

A signed agreement by all..........
Definitely consulting with legal advice as an added layer of protection.

If I were still a Landlord and wanted to install a security system facing outward
to the entry way of my multifamily because of uptick in crime.....nothing would stop me.

I would post in the common area ( hallway ) beyond the entry way
on property,visible ................... The security system is currently installed for
only the protection of my family and my private property due to increase in crime.

This would already have been written into, acknowledged and signed into all new leases.

Then I would offer the option.......

If all tenants want to engage in a shared
security system it can be made possible.
All tenants must agree.

Signing a no liability clause and provide only viewing access to same installed security system.
Everybody sees the same through the one viewing lens.

We would all have an extra set of eyes watching our homes.

I see no harm, only benefit in an all agreed upon signed document that adds a touch of security and piece of mind.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 04-27-2022 at 07:15 AM..

Old 04-27-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Last thing I want now is to waste time with the chores of a house .

I want my housing transparent…we eat and sleep there and that is all I ask of it …

I want no grass to cut , no maintenance to do and I don’t even know what a snow shovel is as I haven’t owned one in more than 20 years .

If I ever bought again it would likely be only a condo in a high rise

We definitely paddle in different directions.......but hey.....best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City