Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:27 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,446 times

Advertisements

I live in the Bronx. I work in Chelsea in Manhattan but I don't really come down here on weekends unless it's to meet someone. I've only been to Brooklyn and Queens a handful of times the past few years and I haven't been to Staten Island since roughly '02. I go to White Plains and Mt. Vernon more often than I go to Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 19,024 times
How well do you know the Bronx? She might say the same about you when you visit her in the Bronx.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:58 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
I think its ridiculous to live in nyc and not know manhatten. Come on u got people tripping over themselves to go there, and u live in nyc and neva been there? Its the center of the city. Thats not a true New Yorker

Old 06-16-2008, 07:45 PM

64 posts, read 143,270 times
Like someone said depends on your social class.. Manhattan is only for people who have upscale tastes since you need the budget even to go to dinner or a show in the city..

I wouldn't even touch a person whose area of activity and interests weren't in the city (Manhattan obviously).

Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I think its ridiculous to live in nyc and not know manhatten. Come on u got people tripping over themselves to go there, and u live in nyc and neva been there? Its the center of the city. Thats not a true New Yorker
You are obviously not a true NYer or least one that was born and raised in the outer boros. A lot NYers can't stand Manhattan and only go there if and when it's necessary.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,196 times
I don't equate a Manhattanite's ignorance of Baychester with a Bronxite's ignorance of Manhattan.

While acknowledging that every borough has its distinctive points of historical interest and cultural contributions, there's something very sad about a kid from the Bronx who never saw the dinosaurs in the Museum of Natural History (which has had a free day for as long as I remember). And just as sad is the kid from Greenwich Village who never visited the Bronx Zoo.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:57 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
^ Are u serious, me not being a true new yorker. Im an x-men born and raised but I know manhattan like the back of my hand. How u going to live in one of the boroughs, be apart of nyc, yet when u go to manhatten u look like a tourist.c'mon now.The whole "cant stand manhattan thing is laughable aswell". My parents cant stand manhattan. But how you cant stand the most amazing place in the world. New yorkers sound spoiled when i hear em say that

Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
I don't equate a Manhattanite's ignorance of Baychester with a Bronxite's ignorance of Manhattan.

While acknowledging that every borough has its distinctive points of historical interest and cultural contributions, there's something very sad about a kid from the Bronx who never saw the dinosaurs in the Museum of Natural History (which has had a free day for as long as I remember). And just as sad is the kid from Greenwich Village who never visited the Bronx Zoo.
I'm a former Bronx kid, and I have lived in Manhattan since I was teen. But as a Bronx kid I took many trips with family and my school to most of the museums, parks, and other popular sites throughout the city. I think that most kids from the Bronx have been to the Museum of Natural History and most kids from the Village have been to the Bronx Zoo even if they have never been to any other part of the Bronx.

I don't think you can live across the bridge in the Bronx and be ignorant of Manhattan. You just may prefer the Bronx as a lot of Bronxites do. Also if you don't have to work in Manhattan, and you can shop in Westchester like quite a few Bronxites do, you may not be familiar with streets and avenues and how they run in Manhattan, especially the areas uptown above 110th and below midtown. This is also true for people of other boros that don't have to come into Manhattan often.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
^ Are u serious, me not being a true new yorker. Im an x-men born and raised but I know manhattan like the back of my hand. How u going to live in one of the boroughs, be apart of nyc, yet when u go to manhatten u look like a tourist.c'mon now.The whole "cant stand manhattan thing is laughable aswell". My parents cant stand manhattan. But how you cant stand the most amazing place in the world. New yorkers sound spoiled when i hear em say that
Glad to know that you know Manhattan like the back of your hand. People from other boros hardly look like tourist when they come to Manhattan. They are still NYer's. I made that comment because most NYer's don't go on and on about how great Manhattan is. It's just another boro to them. All the boros are amazing, each has many amazing things. The Bronx still has wooded areas and beaches, some may think that this is amazing in the city, because mostly the skyscrapers of Manhattan is what most tourist will think of when they think of the city.

"Can't stand Manhattan" is a matter of opinion. I love Manhattan but I know quite a few others from the outer boros that don't like it. If you gave them a Manhattan address they can get there, no problem, but they still don't like it, like they like their own boro. This doesn't mean that they won't go to a museum, or a concert, or other activity in Manhattan, but after that is over they want to go home or prefer to go somewhere else.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post

I don't think you can live across the bridge in the Bronx and be ignorant of Manhattan. .
I guess you can.

It seems to me that's what this thread is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City