U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 AM

757 posts, read 3,021,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry Tucker Brown View Post
We knew how to take the train to 59th street and change to take the BMT (does it still exist) to Fifth Avenue. Christmas was not Christmas without a trip to Macy's to see Santa, lunch at Horn and Harduts (spel?) loved to put the nickels in, look at all the Holiday windows on Fifth Avenue
The lines exist, although some routes have been changed. Those would be the Yellow lines. No more IRT, IND, BMT. They did away with those distinctions, as routes of different "companies" overlapped.

Horn & Hardarts and the nickels. Yes. I guess the closest equivalent today would be Starbucks, except that H&H was economical and, well, you know the rest.

BTW, there was a lot at NYCB that you could have enjoyed, even as a little kid, besides Nuts. It was still Balanchine's company then. Less so now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM

151 posts, read 470,515 times
Unusual? Are you kidding? This girl sounds like a gem. The fact that she was born in, raised in, and is utterly familiar with, the Bronx, but Manhattan presents a mystery, makes this girl leagues-and-yards above other NYC women. She is obviously a woman of quality.

Your son needs to do right by her and pop the question.

The only thing that could make her better would be for her to be born in, raised in, and utterly familiar only with Brooklyn. But nobody's perfect.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM

9,836 posts, read 21,547,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
I thought this was strange, but maybe it is just me.

My son is a student at a college in Manhattan, and dating a girl from the Bronx. She was raised in the Bronx. She goes to college in the Bronx. And he sees her mostly in the Bronx, because he works there.

She's lived her whole life in NYC. She's 21. Never been much of anyplace else. My son was born in Queens, and moved with us as a small child to central/northern NJ. He has spent a lot of time in Manhattan tagging along, and we also did a lot of things in NYC with our kids.

So I met them for lunch the other day, on the upper west side, by columbia, at the subway stop on broadway. He had to drop something off at an apartment on Riverside Drive, and then we went to one of the restaurants in the area. While we were on RSD, she looked across the street and asked "OH! Is THAT Central Park?"

So I answered "No, that is Riverside Park. Central Park ends at 110th street". We had a little talk about Manhattan streets then, and it was clear that she did not know that Fifth avenue is the divider in most of Manhattan for east and west side, or that RSD was a pretty far walk from Fifth ave.

Later in the restaurant (still near Columbia) , she indicated that she thought Greenwich village was close by. I asked "How do you not know these things? You grew up in NYC!" She said oh, no, she grew up in the Bronx, and didn't get to "the city" much. She'd never been to midtown except on dates with my son. And her family thought that Columbia University was in Harlem. My son gave her a confused look then and said "no, we're near Harlem. This is Morningside Heights."

Is this common for young people from the outer boros to know about as much about Manhattan as a tourist? Is it really such a different world?
I would say its somewhat common. There are people like that, but most people are at least somewhat familiar with Manhattan. Because of work/education people usually have to go to Manhattan at some point or other during their life.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM

9,836 posts, read 21,547,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I could be wrong,, but isnt Morningside Heights part of Harlem??
Yeah it is part of Harlem. I used to think it wasn't, that it was a separate neighborhood but technically it is part of Harlem. I know for some people that is hard to believe. It's basically a neighborhood within a neighborhood.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 AM

30 posts, read 78,894 times
well all this is news to me. I know Manhattan is not the center of the universe, but seriously, to be that removed from the city you live in, is amazing. then again, I figure most people who were born and grew up in Manhattan, dont know the ins and outs of the boroughs either..

Old 05-28-2008, 09:41 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,784,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries71 View Post
well all this is news to me. I know Manhattan is not the center of the universe, but seriously, to be that removed from the city you live in, is amazing. then again, I figure most people who were born and grew up in Manhattan, dont know the ins and outs of the boroughs either..
yup, grew up in CT & Jersey and only know Manhattan. aside from, some friends and family in SI and going to the airports & the us open, i know NOTHING about the boroughs.

Last edited by john_starks; 05-28-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 11:58 AM

6,979 posts, read 15,154,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
Unusual? Are you kidding? This girl sounds like a gem. The fact that she was born in, raised in, and is utterly familiar with, the Bronx, but Manhattan presents a mystery, makes this girl leagues-and-yards above other NYC women. She is obviously a woman of quality.

Your son needs to do right by her and pop the question.

The only thing that could make her better would be for her to be born in, raised in, and utterly familiar only with Brooklyn. But nobody's perfect.
^^

pretty much

Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 PM

508 posts, read 1,922,147 times
Not unusual by far. There are some people in the outerboroughs who wouldn't touch the "city" with a stick if they could. LOL.

And Morningside Heights is definitely a section of Harlem.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:12 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,344,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yup, grew up in CT & Jersey and only know Manhattan. aside from, some friends and family in SI and going to the airports & the us open, i know NOTHING about the boroughs.
At least you know MAN HA TTAN! Most people from New Jersey have never been to MAN HA TTAN or can even tell you much about it. And Staten Island, which is adjacent to NJ, some people think is in EUROPE!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 PM

757 posts, read 3,021,035 times
When I was in high school on the Jersey shore, the legal drinking age in NJ was 21, but in NY it was 18. Believe me, my teen-aged classmates knew how to get to NY -- including Staten Island!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or