U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:49 PM

19,433 posts, read 32,938,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I wonder what percentage of New Yorkers can claim that they have lived in all 5 boroughs. Probably a very small percentage and likely none of them natives. Natives are probably the most likely to never leave their borough and have no clue about any of the other ones, especially if they're poor, uneducated, etc.
I personally only know of 1 person that's lived in every borough, and that person happens to be a native NYCer as well. I don't know all of the details surrounding the moves. I won't say where they live now, but I will say that it is not Manhattan.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 12:17 PM

263 posts, read 592,492 times
Quote:
I thought this was strange, but maybe it is just me.

My son is a student at a college in Manhattan, and dating a girl from the Bronx. She was raised in the Bronx. She goes to college in the Bronx. And he sees her mostly in the Bronx, because he works there.

She's lived her whole life in NYC. She's 21. Never been much of anyplace else. My son was born in Queens, and moved with us as a small child to central/northern NJ. He has spent a lot of time in Manhattan tagging along, and we also did a lot of things in NYC with our kids.

So I met them for lunch the other day, on the upper west side, by columbia, at the subway stop on broadway. He had to drop something off at an apartment on Riverside Drive, and then we went to one of the restaurants in the area. While we were on RSD, she looked across the street and asked "OH! Is THAT Central Park?"

So I answered "No, that is Riverside Park. Central Park ends at 110th street". We had a little talk about Manhattan streets then, and it was clear that she did not know that Fifth avenue is the divider in most of Manhattan for east and west side, or that RSD was a pretty far walk from Fifth ave.

Later in the restaurant (still near Columbia) , she indicated that she thought Greenwich village was close by. I asked "How do you not know these things? You grew up in NYC!" She said oh, no, she grew up in the Bronx, and didn't get to "the city" much. She'd never been to midtown except on dates with my son. And her family thought that Columbia University was in Harlem. My son gave her a confused look then and said "no, we're near Harlem. This is Morningside Heights."

Is this common for young people from the outer boros to know about as much about Manhattan as a tourist? Is it really such a different world?
Residents from the outer boroughs always refer to Manhattan as "the city", even the ones that know Manhattan very well. I can understand this girl not knowing her way around Manhattan, but she should know she does live in NYC which is the SAME city Manhattan is in. I know someone in their 50's that lives in Jamaica Queens and they will argue with me that they are not in New York City. I agree, that it is said that some of these people do not realize that their borough is very well part of NYC. I guess some people didn't pay attention in geography class!

Old 05-16-2017, 04:57 PM

756 posts, read 275,831 times
Doesn't surprise me that people might not know much about other boroughs. NYC is huge. if your school/work and family are all local, then you have little reason to visit other parts of the city unless you deliberately seek out those activities.

I would guess that people living in areas with limited mass transit are less likely to venture out. I grew up just outside of NYC and going into the city cost a lot of money as a kid (taking the LIRR). I really only went into Manhattan on school field trips or when my family took out-of-town guests out to do touristy things. My parents were usually busy with work and weren't really interested in museums themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or