Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 08:14 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times

Advertisements

I wonder what percentage of New Yorkers can claim that they have lived in all 5 boroughs. Probably a very small percentage and likely none of them natives. Natives are probably the most likely to never leave their borough and have no clue about any of the other ones, especially if they're poor, uneducated, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 08:18 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I wonder what percentage of New Yorkers can claim that they have lived in all 5 boroughs. Probably a very small percentage and likely none of them natives. Natives are probably the most likely to never leave their borough and have no clue about any of the other ones, especially if they're poor, uneducated, etc.
I'm missing two, but I also got Westchester under my belt, so hopefully that counts for something. I've stayed overnight in all five though, but that's not the same.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:46 AM

481 posts, read 427,442 times
Quote:
My husband has all but Staten Island. He's lived in NYC for about half his life, but came here from another state.

I've lived in two boroughs and immigrated about 4 years ago. As a non-native, I've had to stay in and explore deep into all the boroughs (except for SI) for a variety of reasons over the last 17 years. If I were a native I'd have more grounded ties and probably wouldn't have a lot of reasons to go as far.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:12 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I grew up 10 miles from Midtown in southern Westchester and the Bronx. I went to the city a lot for the museums, visiting my parents' friends, school trips, and so on, but I didn't know the streets well since I was always chaperoned. I was more interested in the stuff around me than route finding and the geographical relationship between landmarks.

I knew 5th Avenue, 125th, and the Village (since that's where my parents lived), but it wasn't until I was in high school and was playing hooky and jumping turnstiles that I actually learned my way around.

I can easily see how someone from the Bronx, or really any of the other boroughs, would have a sketchy knowledge of Manhattan. Although thinking Riverside park is Central Park is pretty damn naive.

By the same token, I can see a Manhattanite up in Van Cortland Park looking around and saying, "Upstate New York sure is beautiful, but what a bunch of hicks!" :-)

Old 05-14-2017, 12:22 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
Growing up in Queens, I, along with my friends would hang out in Manhattan as well as in all the outerboroughs. I can't even fathom how some kids would not be curious about other areas of New York City, especially Manhattan!
Yeah. I lived in Queens in my teens but my friends and I knew all about Manhattan. Course, our high school was in Manhattan but even in Jr. High where we were scattered throughout the other 5 boroughs, Manhattan was the focal point of hanging out. It was just easier that way. All the subway lines end up in Manhattan. Plus, Manhattan had the most exciting places to hang out in, in terms of clubs, restaurants, movie theaters, parks, stores, etc. The other boroughs couldn't compete in terms of excitement or transportation. At least it was back in the day when I was a student.

Last edited by Aeran; 05-14-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 04:49 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
My parents didn't take me to the city much as a kid because we didn't have much money, but once in high school we went on our own quite a bit. Some days we rode the ferry for no reason then just walked around with no plan. I once walked from the ferry to the Museum of Natural History and back.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I'm not a native but I've lived in four out of the 5 boroughs (the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan).

Old 05-14-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
I do find it odd as well that she doesn't know anything about Manhattan. As a kid, when I was in high school, ERRRYBODY went to Manhattan to hang out after school at some point. We used to hang out at Washington Square and that area, but we rarely went past midtown.
Yeah. I went to high school in Manhattan but even if you didn't, kids from other schools scattered throughout the five boroughs hung out in Manhattan to shop, go clubbing, go to the library (to meet up for study groups), see a movie or just hang out at the park (Central Park or Union Square). Manhattan was the default point of reference for everybody. It'll be like, "let's meet at Grand Central or Herald's Square or Times Square at such and such time and then head out to fill in the blank".

Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
I grew up in Queens and I feel like I know some parts of Manhattan better than I know certain parts of Queens. Queens is a really big place tho.

Lived in Manhattan, and now Brooklyn. I feel like I know those 3 boroughs well. I know a little bit of Staten Island, but only a little bit. I barely know anywhere in The Bronx at all.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:18 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
It's common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City