Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:37 AM

51 posts, read 266,883 times

Advertisements

I hear that the Big Apple is the second largest film production center in the US, after LA, and it's also the publishing capital of the world, not to mention one of the two financial capitals of the world (competing with London for the No. 1 spot).

But is there a high tech area, to compete with Silicon Valley in California? Every state or region has something like that, whether it's Silicon Glen in Scotland or Silicon Forest in Oregon or whatever, but I've never heard of a leading edge high technology center in New York state.

Is there one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 10:00 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,317,988 times
Check this out

link

link

link

Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 AM

922 posts, read 3,852,674 times
During the dot-com heyday, the NYC technology community earned the nickname "Silicon Alley". Generally, the companies were located in lower Manhattan, from the Flatiron District to Soho.

Today, there is a less of a geographic center to the local technology industry, and the term "Silicon Alley" has lost much of its significance as a moniker for the local tech community, though most of the current dot-com tech startups are still located in Manhattan below 23rd Street.

Most of the local technology companies are digital media brands, not software companies like those found in Silicon Valley, CA. Some of today's better known tech/internet companies based in NYC are del.icio.us, Gawker, and Meetup.com. Some of the big names from the late-90's dot-com boom, such as DoubleClick and Razorfish, are still around. The "big media" companies all run significant online media operations as well (NYT, Bloomberg Media, Time Warner, etc.) and employ tech people for that purpose. Google also has a large operation here. Their offices are near Times Square, I think.

I work in a technology company near Union Square, but not what you'd call a "dot.com".

Old 05-24-2008, 11:02 AM

Thanks, both of you - I really appreciate the links.

But, from my narrow point of view, the media-web companies wouldn't qualify as "high-tech". I am referring to companies that create leading edge technology, like Intel turning out the latest microprocessor, or IBM turning out the latest high-capacity crystal memory, or the latest type of nano-material, or a biotech company turning out the latest genetic creature.

It seems that NY doesn't have this as much as Silicon Valley, though it's trying to woo such companies to Manhattan. I like Manhattan, but I also like Seattle - which is home to many high-tech companies, as I understand it.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:12 AM

^^

I want to see seattle. I have heard GREAT things about that.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:30 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,285,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
During the dot-com heyday, the NYC technology community earned the nickname "Silicon Alley". Generally, the companies were located in lower Manhattan, from the Flatiron District to Soho.

Today, there is a less of a geographic center to the local technology industry, and the term "Silicon Alley" has lost much of its significance as a moniker for the local tech community, though most of the current dot-com tech startups are still located in Manhattan below 23rd Street.

Most of the local technology companies are digital media brands, not software companies like those found in Silicon Valley, CA. Some of today's better known tech/internet companies based in NYC are del.icio.us, Gawker, and Meetup.com. Some of the big names from the late-90's dot-com boom, such as DoubleClick and Razorfish, are still around. The "big media" companies all run significant online media operations as well (NYT, Bloomberg Media, Time Warner, etc.) and employ tech people for that purpose. Google also has a large operation here. Their offices are near Times Square, I think.

I work in a technology company near Union Square, but not what you'd call a "dot.com".
You nailed it on the head here.

Immediately after college, I worked for a dot-com and was laid off the very next year. I then spent basically the next 18 months doing freelance since the demand for IT pros was trying to recover.

The dot-com crash really screwed me over professionally and financially. Fortunately, I've been at the same place the last 6 years.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
You nailed it on the head here.

Immediately after college, I worked for a dot-com and was laid off the very next year. I then spent basically the next 18 months doing freelance since the demand for IT pros was trying to recover.

The dot-com crash really screwed me over professionally and financially. Fortunately, I've been at the same place the last 6 years.
My story is the exact same.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
^^

I want to see seattle. I have heard GREAT things about that.
That's my problem. On the one hand, I'm established in the Pacific NorthWest, which has a high tech area around Redmond, but, on the other hand, there's no place like New York.

I'm not quite sure what to do.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLawyer View Post
That's my problem. On the one hand, I'm established in the Pacific NorthWest, which has a high tech area around Redmond, but, on the other hand, there's no place like New York.

I'm not quite sure what to do.
Gotta go where your happy. Life is to short in my opinion. I am trying to move back to NYC right now (live in Florida). Did two interviews (both in tech field) last week so we shall see what happens.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:59 PM

214 posts, read 1,003,106 times
That's sort of my dilemma too with technology. On one hand, I know that the best opportunities, connections, and ideas are mostly centered around Silicon Valley. On the other hand, I love New York City. More (real) tech companies should follow Google's lead and open engineering offices in New York City. That way, there is a larger technology community that can eventually branch out and create the next breed of startups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: