Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 10:25 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Just when you thought the lunacy ended...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/09/n...e=articleShare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 10:32 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
When was criminal background checks even a priority??These brokers only care about you being able to pay the fee, 1st and security. I've only ever had my credit checked and I've lived in just about every borough. I've even had a broker tell me they didn't care that I didn't make 40x the rent.

They don't care, they have never cared about criminal backgrounds. Just another headline to get the crowd roaring

Old 08-09-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
When was criminal background checks even a priority??These brokers only care about you being able to pay the fee, 1st and security. I've only ever had my credit checked and I've lived in just about every borough. I've even had a broker tell me they didn't care that I didn't make 40x the rent.

They don't care, they have never cared about criminal backgrounds. Just another headline to get the crowd roaring
If the management company runs a tight ship, they'll hire a broker that handles all of that. I had to provide a ton of paperwork when I got my first place here in NYC and I was glad too because I knew that they wouldn't have any Joe Shmoe moving in. You are correct though... Most brokers just care about getting their commission.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If the management company runs a tight ship, they'll hire a broker that handles all of that. I had to provide a ton of paperwork when I got my first place here in NYC and I was glad too because I knew that they wouldn't have any Joe Shmoe moving in. You are correct though... Most brokers just care about getting their commission.
Not sure when you first moved here but things have changed.

I have not once been asked for a criminal background check. These brokers are driven by money. It was clear when I was told I didn't even need to make 40x the rent. That actually shocked me because its one of the top 3 things these brokers care most about following good credit and good income.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:06 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
All about the further destabilization of NYC. And then there is this wonderful bit of information-

Quote:
An estimated 750,000 residents of New York City have a criminal conviction...
That's roughly 8.52% of NYC's population. In other words about 1 in 12 New Yorkers is a convicted criminal. Just lovely. I want to see a breakdown by neighborhood.

Last edited by dfc99; 08-09-2022 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-09-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Not sure when you first moved here but things have changed.

I have not once been asked for a criminal background check. These brokers are driven by money. It was clear when I was told I didn't even need to make 40x the rent. That actually shocked me because its one of the top 3 things these brokers care most about following good credit and good income.
I've always lived here, save when I lived overseas and had my place there. I'm a native New Yorker. lol I find it insane that they didn't care about you meeting the 40x the rent rule. At a minimum, I would think they would run a credit check.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 08-09-2022 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-09-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've always lived here, save when I lived overseas and had my place there. I'm a native New Yorker. lol I find it insane that they didn't care about you meeting the 40x the rent rule. At a minimum, I would think they would run a credit check.
Yeah it was very odd, I didn't end up going through with it. You'd think they would care about my ability to physically pay rent lol

Old 08-09-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah it was very odd, I didn't end up going through with it. You'd think they would care about my ability to physically pay rent lol
Exactly. I did hear during the pandemic of landlords making those sorts of concessions where they would allow people to rent places that didn't earn 40x the rent, but that was because they were desperate to fill vacancies.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:39 PM

621 posts, read 240,276 times
Why is it lunacy for someone who served their time or is trying to get their life on the right track to be denied a housing application because they have a criminal record? You can't prevent crime if you resort to recidivist policies like denying people with records access to housing if they can afford it.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:42 PM

2,606 posts, read 1,205,579 times
This is a great idea. Mayor Adams and all those beneath him are doing a great job creating and implementing policies that will deter crime and criminals.

Bravo.

Adams 2024 !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: