U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:38 AM

14 posts, read 78,293 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone knows of any authentic Irish-owned bars in Manhattan or Queens. There seems to be a lot of "Irish-themed" bars around but I'd love to know of places where the staff and/or owners are Irish.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 01:05 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,208,450 times
I can't vouch for everything here, but this list seems pretty comprehensive: Murph's Guide to NY Bars: New York Irish Bars (http://www.murphguide.com/irish.htm - broken link) . About half of the bars listed seem to be Irish-owned. The rest are Irish-American owned. Many of the Irish-American owned bars, however do staff the place with Irish bartenders.

However unless you're in an area with a lot of Irish immigrants, the clientele in most of these places is going to be Irish-American or just plain ole' American.

EDIT: There is also a newspaper called the Irish Emigrant. I believe it usually lists Irish owned bars in a section set aside for ads. I believe similar lists are printed in the Irish Echo and Irish Voice.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:38 PM

922 posts, read 3,494,326 times
In Queens, Woodside is an Irish area (for now).

Two Irish bars that I've been to are: Donovan's Pub (no website, but here's some information (http://cityguide.aol.com/newyork/restaurants/donovans-pub/v-107232944 - broken link)) and Saints and Sinners. I don't know about ownership, but it seems that everyone on the staff has a brogue.

Donovan's is noted for having the "best burger in NYC", however I was unimpressed. Maybe when the waitress said "I'm so tired of serving burgers. Can't someone order something other than a burger?", I should have taken her advice.

There are several other pubs in the neighborhood as well.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:03 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,153,140 times
I know there are a handful of bars with Irish names up here in Inwood (which was once a majority Irish neighborhood). However, given that the population is now primarily Dominican, I can't vouch for the ethnicity of the bars' clientele .....

Old 05-26-2008, 03:41 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,153,608 times
There's a few places in Bay Ridge that are Irish owned/operated with a mixture of Irish/American clientele. There is also a place called Ceol at 191 Smith St in Downtown Bklyn that's pretty good.

Good Shepard's Pie & an excellent burger at Molly's on Third Ave near E.21 St.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:18 PM

The bars in Woodside look nice, but I don't think too many Irish live there anymore. It is mostly Hispanic and Fillipino.

A couple of the bars in Sunnyside next to the El are very nice. I was impressed with a couple of them the last time I was over there. Nice clientele, (mostly Irish-Americans, but some Irish) and overall a good vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
In Queens, Woodside is an Irish area (for now).

Two Irish bars that I've been to are: Donovan's Pub (no website, but here's some information (http://cityguide.aol.com/newyork/restaurants/donovans-pub/v-107232944 - broken link)) and Saints and Sinners. I don't know about ownership, but it seems that everyone on the staff has a brogue.

Donovan's is noted for having the "best burger in NYC", however I was unimpressed. Maybe when the waitress said "I'm so tired of serving burgers. Can't someone order something other than a burger?", I should have taken her advice.

There are several other pubs in the neighborhood as well.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I know there are a handful of bars with Irish names up here in Inwood (which was once a majority Irish neighborhood). However, given that the population is now primarily Dominican, I can't vouch for the ethnicity of the bars' clientele .....
There's also a bunch of Irish bars in Kingsbridge with the same situation going on. The neighborhood used to be majority Irish, but now is Hispanic. The bars are pretty much the only remnant of the former-Irish residents.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:33 PM

922 posts, read 3,494,326 times
Quote:
The bars in Woodside look nice, but I don't think too many Irish live there anymore. It is mostly Hispanic and Fillipino.
Yeah - I thought it was kind of interesting seeing a Filipino grocery store right next door to an Irish pub.

Murphy's Law: "Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine."

Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM

14 posts, read 78,293 times
Thanks for all the info guys. Keep 'em coming!!!

That Murph's Guide, btw, is very comprehensive. Who knew there were so many Irish bars in NY?! It seems we've taken over...I do apologise

Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 PM

317 posts, read 1,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post

A couple of the bars in Sunnyside next to the El are very nice. I was impressed with a couple of them the last time I was over there. Nice clientele, (mostly Irish-Americans, but some Irish) and overall a good vibe.
There are still some Irish in Woodside, though not that many - I often hear the brogue on the street in the vicinity of Woodside Ave in the high 50s and low 60s. The ones that remain do seem to frequent the bars there.

You could try the Dugout on 61st or Toucan Tommy's on 62nd, both on Woodside Ave (the Dugout is between Woodside and Roosevelt Ave - there is an Irish deli next door as well). Someone already mentioned Saints & Sinners and Donovan's - they are in the area, too. In my experience Donovan's tends to attract an older crowd than the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City