U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 PM

20 posts, read 76,018 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone has notice this but normally after a recruit is done with the academy his/her salary jumps between 1500-3000 but with this new contract its the same. I wonder if its a mistake. It would be difficult to for a PO not to get a salary increase until after 1 year in the NYPD.

Recruit - Salary (http://www.nypd2.org/html/recruit/salary.html - broken link)

Old 05-27-2008, 10:37 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,137,124 times
No mistake... that is what the latest arbitration decision has inflicted. Plus they have reduced the vacation dyas from 20 down to 10 for officers with less than 5 years on the force.

Do yourself a favor and apply elsewhere, unless you have steady cash flow from outside sources & absolutely have to be a "NYC Cop".

Old 05-27-2008, 03:53 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,251,090 times
That's bad advice and unfair Baylover. Being a NYC Cop is still very rewarding..and its a place where you can make a huge impact..moreso than any other communities. If you are looking for a suburban life, with suburban problems, then the NYPD is not for you, and it has never been for you no matter what the salary or vacation time was. If you are seeking a real challenge, the ability to make a real difference everyday in the lives of the 8 million people, and 40 millions tourists, where else can you be but the NYPD?

Don't be so shortsighted about the force. It is not easy, nor does anyone claim it is..but it can be one of the most rewarding jobs out there..and should you stay..the financial rewards are there.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,167,061 times
I think if you are a single person, it is still something that is worth looking into; however, if you have a family to support, be prepared to take on another p/t job (if it is approved), or get ready to not be able to make your bills.

PS- Can we all please try to keep this thread open and not completely taken off the board like the last one?

Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,137,124 times
Guy, the reality is that City Hall nor the brass at One Police Plaza could care less about the rank & file officers. It is apparent that they don't believe that the hard work done by the members of the department, those who meet the "real challenge, the ability to make a real difference everyday in the lives of the 8 million people, and 40 millions tourists" is worth a decent raise without giving up precious time with your family.

Why work harder for less in return? Especially when the city will throw you under the bus faster than a NY minute. Yes, there may be some glamor left being a NYC cop but it is quickly outweighed by the lack of respect you receive from the administration you work for and the majority of the people you serve.

Guy, you have said it yourself... the dysfunction within the department makes the job much more difficult than it should be.... especially at that salary.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 AM

151 posts, read 477,665 times
I was walking home from the subway at night a week ago and passed an NYPO walking his beat. Being the cheery ****** I am, I mentioned, "Hey, congrats on the raise!" His reponse was, "Not much a raise tho."

We bicker and fight about police pay on this board alot -- myself included -- but if this guy is any indicator, it doesn't look like the "rank and file" are thrilled about this latest bump. Just my two-cents.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:55 AM

Agreed that the dysfunction does make the job unattractive for many, as does the hype on salary, but I do not believe the city throws cops under the bus in a NY minute..thats absolutely untrue. Furthermore, I think the police brass and city hall do care about cops, but they are too caught up in the politics and self-serving interests, and not focused on actually improving the force.

And regarding a raise, the increase, as I have stated, was not really going to change anything. Until the entire force is revamped, including a new payscale/system, we will be hearing the same old story idnefinitely...people leaving the force in droves for better jobs/higher pay/better quality of life, etc. Adding another $10K still won't change anything...it will just slow the inevitable...and that does not solve anything.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:34 PM

235 posts, read 1,014,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Agreed that the dysfunction does make the job unattractive for many, as does the hype on salary, but I do not believe the city throws cops under the bus in a NY minute..thats absolutely untrue. Furthermore, I think the police brass and city hall do care about cops, but they are too caught up in the politics and self-serving interests, and not focused on actually improving the force.

And regarding a raise, the increase, as I have stated, was not really going to change anything. Until the entire force is revamped, including a new payscale/system, we will be hearing the same old story idnefinitely...people leaving the force in droves for better jobs/higher pay/better quality of life, etc. Adding another $10K still won't change anything...it will just slow the inevitable...and that does not solve anything.
During the contract negotiations of 2002-2004, Mayor Bloomberg compared NYPD cops to Security guards.

If City Hall respected NYC cops, they would pay them a fair, competitive salary. If you think the NYPD respects its cops, then join. Too many young people DO NOT agree with you, but WILL happily work hard to join OTHER police depts. Too many young people who do join the NYPD quit within a few yrs.

When you see ANY organization that has the recruitment and retention problems that the NYPD has, you can reasonably conclude that the job market doesn't share Guy's rosy assessment of a career in that organization.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:51 PM

There are also many young people that DO agree with me..I believe the last class was around 1,800 or so? Sounds like they are still recruiting plenty of new talent to me. Yes there will be those that will leave, and I do not blame them anymore than I blame anyone else seeking a better quality of life for themselves or their families. The exodus by cops is nothing new or unique to the force, it is in fact happening across the board, to all working class and middle class people. They are leaving for all the same reason as cops, better overall quality of life, and not just more money.

Although you may believe it is not worth it to you to join the force..that's great..but it is still worth it to many and it remains a sure, tried and true path to the middle class, as well as a rock solid retirement and lifetime medical...you can't beat that. If you want to stroll along parks and malls in the suburbs, then you should not join the NYPD. If you want the ability to make a real difference, and directly have a real impact on the lives of 8 million people, and 40 million visitors, then where better than NYC?

This force is still appealing to many...you and the Unions can poo-poo it as much as you like...it does not change the facts.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:26 PM

235 posts, read 1,014,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
There are also many young people that DO agree with me..I believe the last class was around 1,800 or so? Sounds like they are still recruiting plenty of new talent to me. Yes there will be those that will leave, and I do not blame them anymore than I blame anyone else seeking a better quality of life for themselves or their families. The exodus by cops is nothing new or unique to the force, it is in fact happening across the board, to all working class and middle class people. They are leaving for all the same reason as cops, better overall quality of life, and not just more money.

Although you may believe it is not worth it to you to join the force..that's great..but it is still worth it to many and it remains a sure, tried and true path to the middle class, as well as a rock solid retirement and lifetime medical...you can't beat that. If you want to stroll along parks and malls in the suburbs, then you should not join the NYPD. If you want the ability to make a real difference, and directly have a real impact on the lives of 8 million people, and 40 million visitors, then where better than NYC?

This force is still appealing to many...you and the Unions can poo-poo it as much as you like...it does not change the facts.
The last class was about 800. And the city canceled the upcoming class for "budgetary reasons." Apparently the city didn't have enough money to hire 1,000 cops with a starting salary of 25K. Then three weeks later the city signs off on raising the salary of new cops to 35K. Funny, I always thought 25K was LESS money than 35K.

By the end of the summer, I GUARANTEE you NYC will find the money to hire cops. Queens, Harlem, and Staten Island are already screaming about crime and wanting more cops, and it hasn't even hit 85 degrees yet. (maybe they can take some of those cops out of Mott Haven and re-deploy them to 125 St)

And I don;t know what your definition of Middles Class is, but if you think a NYC cop can afford a home in a Middle Class area of the 5 boros, you couldn't be more wrong. But maybe you can provide some examples.

And with gas destined to go higher and higher over the long term, the days of pursuing a middle class existence in the burbs will be over for many city workers, especially those with odd work schedules (like cops) as the cost of commuting becomes prohibitive.

And the unions are made up of the members, so all of those eager young people who joined the last few yrs, they are telling their union delegates everything I am saying here and asking them to get the salary raised. If you think young people are joining the NYPD and clamoring to have their union accept wages that are 25% lower than everywhere else in the area, you couldn;t be more wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City