Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 03:28 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times

Advertisements

Many years ago garbage cans ( old ash cans ) were kept off the sidewalk and on the property usually behind a gated fence.
Cans and lids were of a heavy metal construction. They were used for garbage collection after coal burning boilers were converted over to oil.

I could not see any rodent chewing through them to get to an evening meal.

Fast forward generations:
Plastic cans, although light in weight are useless. They crack ,split and weather over time as they try to do their job containing spoiling
remnants of waste.

One better : Plastic bags filled with waste line the sidewalks of our city. One pile atop another I have seen 4 ft high stretching
20 feet across. A rat filled catering hall.................Lovely.

Back to the drawing board..........Placing refuse out late will definitely cut down on feeding time but not curb the rat population.
Rats being smart will adjust and instead of the population sparse across 20 hours ( 4pm to 9 am ) a swarm will gather during
these rationed hours ( 8pm to 9am ).

The hours will help as long as a plan is implemented to capture while feeding else I suggest going back to the old ways.
Heavy containers carried by 2 sanitation men and an end to this problem once and for all.

Yup. 2 men per carry..................Dream on .....................

No wonder rats are having a field day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 04:17 PM

978 posts, read 673,115 times
Nothing will change

Old 10-19-2022, 07:59 AM

411 posts, read 227,860 times
I can understand this in neighborhoods with very low density. Those neighborhoods with 50 story or higher buildings clustered around each other take hours to put out as many as 100 bags at a time. Waiting until 8pm would be quite a burden. This speaks to everyone who says "density is awesome" without considering what density demands.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:33 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
DSNY sometimes doesn’t pick up until the evening/night of the pickup day so unless they fix that there won’t be much of an effect. In my neighborhood that is especially the case with recycling. We put out recycling on Wednesday afternoon/evening and it usually sits there until late on Thursday night or early Friday morning especially during the winter. I can’t count the number of times someone else’s recycling has blown onto my property or in front of my home after sitting outside for 30 hours during the winds of winter.
Yea, DSNY needs a lot of other serious reforms on top of this. Like I said, it's only a step in the right direction when what's needed is a much larger reworking of how sanitation is done in the city, because it's certainly not great even considering how dense the city is.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:11 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
I can understand this in neighborhoods with very low density. Those neighborhoods with 50 story or higher buildings clustered around each other take hours to put out as many as 100 bags at a time. Waiting until 8pm would be quite a burden. This speaks to everyone who says "density is awesome" without considering what density demands.
Ah yes, the classic "we shouldn't build tall buildings and lose billions of dollars of investment because staff can't handle garbage bag disposal" right up there with "this tower should be cut from 60 to 55 stories because I am growing tomatoes in my garden and it casts a shadow on my plants".

Old 10-19-2022, 10:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I agree with the later time for trash disposal.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:05 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I've never seen the DSNY on Staten Island issue a homeowner a ticket for putting out trash before 4pm. And I didn't see it living in Brooklyn for 30 years either. But 8pm is too late for outer-boro neighborhoods of 1 and 2 family homes. 6pm is a good compromise time for those neighborhoods.
I actually saw them give someone a ticket for this on my block earlier this year. I had never seen it before that either.

I think 6 PM is a good compromise as well. I don't mind changes to how it should be containerized, as that would help more with issues related to pests rather than keeping garbage bags off the sidewalks while NYers walk home from work. This is not really an issue in many areas.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:37 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
My building still takes it out by 3pm. Wish they would ticket my building.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:04 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
They need to give each address a specific half hour window to put out their garbage, and DSNY would have to pick it up within a half hour of the end of that window. So garbage would not be on the street more than an hour.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:34 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,968,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They need to give each address a specific half hour window to put out their garbage, and DSNY would have to pick it up within a half hour of the end of that window. So garbage would not be on the street more than an hour.
The vast majority of our routes run at 6am, really the obvious solution is to say all trash must be put out between 5-6am , it would be off the street then within 4-5 hours. Obviously though no one is going to want to wake up at 5am to bring the trash out lol.

There’s also other complicated factors that most people don’t realize, but the vast majority of buildings get picked up somewhere between 6a-11am on their scheduled pickup day.

Also, this isn’t really a huge problem in large areas of the city, all of SI, Southern BK, Eastern Queens, or anywhere else they use cans etc … the issue is specific to the large apartment buildings that place out large amounts of loose bags
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: