Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:27 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,967,119 times

Advertisements

Yea, I wouldn't put it on the same level as here at all.. there were certain parts of Georgia that I let my NY lingo and accent slip a little too much, and I wasn't in a pretty situation at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 05:36 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,646,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
<yawn>... obfuscation is key in your denial of the huge problems that beset the residents of places like the bronx.
sure there are drug problems, girls getting pregnant at 15, underage drinking, kids dropping out of school and other social problems in the 'burbs, but the difference is that in the 'burbs it is an aberration while in the inner city ghettos problems like that are quite common and as evidenced by some of the respondents here it is deemed to be normal and almost acceptable, and that is the problem
Man, you hate cities, don't you!

I believe that your 'personal responsibility' opinion is correct, but incomplete! We'll agree to disagree on this one!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I suggest people read the book "The Ungovernable City"
I read it!

Good read. However, Cannato's Giuliani bias is obvious in that book. Very much geared to an Archie Bunker, pro-Rudy audience!

Lindsay got a lot of folks mad for trying to reach out to the distressed. Yes, it had bad consequences, but at least he tried. The Rudy G, crack ass out the box politics is divisive and over the top! You CANNOT rule New York by catering to certain groups and ignoring others!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:46 PM

33,510 posts, read 46,882,579 times
apvbguy, thats stuff happens everywhere. look at wyndanch way out in suffolk. same drug problems and everywhere else. doesnt have to be inner city. if thats the case, then i should be a career criminal now, seeing where i live. me and Scatman should be robbing banks together since we all grew up in the hood. but thats not the case.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-30-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
You hear about the big drug raid last month in Nyack, NY? It ain't just "the inner city ghettoes"......!
25 arrested in Nyack cocaine raid | lohud.com | The Journal News

Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,942,874 times
Quote:
Man, you hate cities, don't you!

I believe that your 'personal responsibility' opinion is correct, but incomplete! We'll agree to disagree on this one!
them's the facts, believe them or ignore them, it's really of no consequence

Old 05-30-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
apvbguy, thats stuff happens everywhere. look at wyndanch way out in suffolk. same drug problems and everywhere else. doesnt have to be inner city. if thats the case, then i should be a career criminal now, seeing where i live. me and Scatman should be robbing banks together since we all grew up in the hood. but thats not the case.
wyandanch is a ghetto in the burb's always has been, and probably always will be and it isn't unique, ghettos aren't confined to the inner cities, the same bad conditions can exist far from any city.
now what was your point?

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-30-2008 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate

Old 05-30-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I read it!

Good read. However, Cannato's Giuliani bias is obvious in that book. Very much geared to an Archie Bunker, pro-Rudy audience!

Lindsay got a lot of folks mad for trying to reach out to the distressed. Yes, it had bad consequences, but at least he tried. The Rudy G, crack ass out the box politics is divisive and over the top! You CANNOT rule New York by catering to certain groups and ignoring others!
regardless of whether you like him or not, the city sure changed direction under his leadership

Old 05-30-2008, 07:39 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,337,773 times
Yeah right. Those are some pretty cool redneck people. I went there with a church group back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
IrishEyes....the last people you want to live around are poor whites, not poor latinos/blacks. Take a stroll down appalachia....you will be singing how great Mott Haven is in 2 seconds flat.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 PM

235 posts, read 1,084,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
This sentence is not true for the most part. If the places that immigrants migrated from were areas where these things were held in high regard they would have never left left these areas.

They left for the most part because they were fleeing poverty, and all types of persecution.

They had virtue in their own hearts, they were willing to make the sacrifices for personal achievement. This was inside of themselves not the place they came from. America and the city gave them the chance to do these things.
Many times those who leave are the ones with these virtues. It may even be WHY they leave: ie religious persecution or even racial/tribal persecution centered around jealousy of these person's success. Many hardworking people want to leave communist countries b/c they are industrious and don't want the gov't living off of them, so they flee to the West where they are allowed to start businesses and accumulate wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City