Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:31 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,962,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
It will attract attention and keeps the perps from escaping..and thats what you want to do.
just what you want, you and the bad guys stuck together in a stopped train
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I'm not going to get too far into this. If you didn't know crime generally goes up on holidays/holiday season then I'm sorry. Labor day and Memorial day in particular are synonomous with tragedy ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY!
I DO know that, but that doesn't excuse it in any way.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,097,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I suppose everyone's heard of the shooting in Harlem last night. 8 people were injured. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/ny...cnd-shoot.html

It kind of is like the bad old days. However if you look at the picture on the NY Time's webpage you'll notice that the scene of the crime is directly outside a Starbucks. I suppose they didn't have those in Harlem in the early 90s.

Just got back into town, and I am glad I was not here for this. Lenox avenue is so sketchy and it is so much worse in the summer

How does this area (central Harlem) compare to some of the places you guys talk about on here like south Bronx or east new york. Is it similar, worse, or better do you think in terms of safety?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 PM

120 posts, read 481,897 times
Believe me...New York is not in the same galaxy as what it was in the past. In 1977, the city was in flames...by the 80s, crack became endemic....as recently as the early Nineties, over 2,000 people were killed per year. Granted, this is sad to read, but twenty years ago, this wouldn't be too far from a "normal" day in New York crime.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 AM

675 posts, read 1,255,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurrMark View Post
Believe me...New York is not in the same galaxy as what it was in the past. In 1977, the city was in flames...by the 80s, crack became endemic....as recently as the early Nineties, over 2,000 people were killed per year. Granted, this is sad to read, but twenty years ago, this wouldn't be too far from a "normal" day in New York crime.
This is correct, I remember the news paper (i believe it was the Daily News) used to keep a daily count of homicides in the city and it wasn't unusual to see 7-12 murders per day. Of course there were some days when it was zero to balance things out but you get what i'm saying. Neighborhoods like East New York and Washington Heights used to average 120+ homicides a year. Matter of fact in one year there were close to 30 homicides in Unity Plaza and that's just one housing project in ENY. Clearly were no longer close to that level BUT I do believe due to economics we've bottomed out on how safe the city can get so there's only one way to go and thats up

Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,097,906 times
How can a city bottom out on safety? You would have to have almost no crime, and I don't think NYC is quite there yet.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
I thought it was a very good sign that the community in Harlem has mostly responded in outrage and concern to this. In the age of "Stop Snitching," it was a refreshing and a positive sign. So no, I do not believe things are just like the "bad old days."

Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
I did hear outrage from people who weren't there. Has there been a description from witnesses?

Old 05-28-2008, 02:14 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I thought it was a very good sign that the community in Harlem has mostly responded in outrage and concern to this. In the age of "Stop Snitching," it was a refreshing and a positive sign. So no, I do not believe things are just like the "bad old days."
I saw a guy in my gym, wearing a HUUUGE t-shirt with an even more HUUGE STOP SIGN with the words STOP SNITCHIN underneath. what a waste of human matter! Not stop the violence, not stop the crime - but stop "snitching" ..... I really don't think there is "hope for the hood"

Old 05-28-2008, 03:02 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Hmm..for real BX718? In the future..if there are kids attempting to rob someone, or anything similar, pull the emergency brake..the cops will show up and the kids will go down..or get on the cell phone and call the police. Walking away from the problem does not help anyone.
Pull the brake, and you're TRAPPED with them AND it makes getting help at the next station just about impossible.

Of course, if you are still in the station, then that may be a good move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City