U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2008, 01:13 AM

1,525 posts, read 2,390,984 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Possible work in Brooklyn Hieghts area coming up. I'm wondering what the area is like and if it's typical to commute into the area from somewhere more suburban. And if so, with what sort of problems, commute time, etc.

Is B.H's considered part of "Brooklyn proper"? Haven't been able to find separate data for it. Brooklyn seems to have a reputation of being a dangerous place. Wondering if the same is true of B.H's and what people do about it.

The $$$ that's being offered in hard to ignore, but given the recruiter made a point of mentioning "Brooklyn Heights", and the way it was done, leads me to believe it's a questionable place to go to, despite the possible gentrification I've heard of in the area. It may, in fact, be why the $$$ numbers they are talking are higher than even Ca. numbers for the same sort of work. (Which strikes me as a red flag.)

So what's the reality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:40 AM

878 posts, read 1,873,702 times
Brooklyn Heights is considered one of the most affluent areas in Brooklyn. It is a very nice neighborhood and has some of the most expensive housing stock in Brooklyn especially around the Promenade. I don't know why the entire borough of Brooklyn would be considered dangerous since their are only a few areas/neighborhoods that are considered high crime and Brooklyn Heights is not one of them. It is surrounded by DUMBO, Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill. It is in the downtown area of Brooklyn which houses the court houses and most of the municipal buildings. Montague Street is the main strip of the neighborhood and it is littered with restaurants and shops. The Promenade itself offers a great view of Manhattan and can be very relaxing. Also, any train to Borough Hall or Court Street pratically brings you into the neighborhood. Don't know where you are commuting from but if from Long Island you would catch a train to Atlantic Avenue and then catch the 2,3,4 or 5 to Borough Hall.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:58 AM

I'm not commuting from anywhere yet. If I end up in this position the question is, "Where to commute from?" I'm over on the west coast at the minute and starting to do research.

My impression of Brooklyn as dangerous comes from various media sources. Geez, even Tom Leykis (butt head that he is) claims to be from Brooklyn and that it's a problem place on his radio show from time to time.

Apparently Brooklyn isn't "a place" but many? Like a county with several cities?

For example:

"
Brownsville is burdened with one of New York City's highest crime rates as well as one of the largest concentrations of public housing in the country. "

I understand Brownsville to be in Brooklyn?

Anyway, trying to figure out if I should just reject the position based on location, as I'd rather be poor in a nice place than make 6 figures but have to live somewhere that sux.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I'm not commuting from anywhere yet. If I end up in this position the question is, "Where to commute from?" I'm over on the west coast at the minute and starting to do research.

My impression of Brooklyn as dangerous comes from various media sources. Geez, even Tom Leykis (butt head that he is) claims to be from Brooklyn and that it's a problem place on his radio show from time to time.

Apparently Brooklyn isn't "a place" but many? Like a county with several cities?

For example:

"
Brownsville is burdened with one of New York City's highest crime rates as well as one of the largest concentrations of public housing in the country. "

I understand Brownsville to be in Brooklyn?

Anyway, trying to figure out if I should just reject the position based on location, as I'd rather be poor in a nice place than make 6 figures but have to live somewhere that sux.
Gotcha, I didn't realize you were on the west coast. Brooklyn is actually very large and if it was not a borough it would be the 4th largest city in America. There are numerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn and some are more dangerous then others. Brownsville and East New York are currently the highest crime areas, I believe. Depending on what your salary and what kind of lifestyle you want to live there are many neighborhoods that would be nice to live in. Since your job offer is in Brooklyn Heights, that area and the surrounding areas would be ideal to live in. They are all basically nice, with beautiful, quiet streets. Michelle Williams and Heath Ledger used to live in Boerum Hill and that neighborhood is next to Brooklyn Heights but not considered as affluent. Carroll Gardens is also another area that is not too far from the Heights and is also very nice. Park Slope is a little more further into Brooklyn but it is another area that professionals flock to due to the amenities that the neighborhood has to offer along with it's proximity to Prospect Park and it is an easy commute to Brooklyn Heights.

One of the main things with Brooklyn, and especially that area is that if you decide to live there you may never travel deeper into Brooklyn and never experience the areas that are deemed dangerous. All of the areas that I mentioned are in close proximity to Manhattan, if you want to travel there for the nightlife or the culture. Brooklyn is a great place to live if you don't mind city living that is not as intense as Manhattan. For a point of reference, Brooklyn Heights would be basically directly across the Brooklyn Bridge. If you have the opportunity to visit before you make a decision, you should try to do that so that you can actually experience the area. The Brooklyn Marriot is a very popular hotel that is in the area that you are talking about so that may be a good place to stay, if possible.

All in all, I love Brooklyn but I am biased since it is my hometown.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,807 times
Thumbs up I love it here!

A more idyllic spot is hard to find in NYC. Lots & lots of Wall St. people & lawyers - they often walk to work - in Manhattan. Get a Starbucks & read your paper on the Promenade enjoying the harbor view. We have one of the best gyms in the city & a world-class squash scene, too. Great restaurants in the North Heights. Top schools. But the Heights is not a "best kept secret" anymore. Houses are 5 million & up. Apartments also in the millions. Crime is probably the same as on the Upper East Side of Manhattan - rare. Big population of people with $$$$$$$. A very lucky place to be.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:33 AM

Thanks drkman, hieghtsgirl.

Well... with those prices clearly this a place the weathly have carved out.

Even at the $160-170k a year figure under discussion, doesn't sound like one could actually have "a house". (And I thought "The OC" was pricey, LOL!)

Hmm... that's scary.

So is it like some places in Pa. I lived in as a kid? Cross one street and you are in the crime zone?

Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 AM

I don't think so. The worst part of Brooklyn Heights that I ever saw was around Clark Street and that wasn't really bad. The only reason that there was some issues was because of an SRO hotel that the city used to house people in and I think that is no longer true. Brooklyn Heights is really surrounded by some nice areas. The only thing that would be considered "undesirable" by some is Downtown Brooklyn because of the shopping strip and the court houses. It also becomes deserted once the businesses close down but from my understanding, even Downtown Brooklyn is going through some kind of rennaisance with new residential coops or condos being built and some kind of city planned revitilization for the shopping strip that is supposed to attract more high end stores and make it more green. Also Downtown tends to be one of the bigger commuter areas because of all of the buses that go there.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 PM

283 posts, read 760,773 times
Not to put too fine a point on what everyone else has already said, but, Brooklyn Heights is arguably the most desirable, safe, beautiful and affluent neighborhood in Brooklyn (though many would give that title to Park Slope), and one of the nicest in the entire city. If it suffers from anything, it's for being a little too antiseptic and conservative... most of the other attractive, gentrified neighborhoods in Brooklyn have their hip elements but Brooklyn Heights feels a little stodgy. But you can walk for a mile in any direction without hitting a dangerous area and downtown Brooklyn divides it from the nearest neighborhood housing anyone who isn't rich (Fort Greene/Navy Yard area... and even that is really not a bad area). It's a great place to live if you can afford it and not at all dangerous or undesirable.

If you got the impression that there's some innuendo behind the company making sure you understand it's in Brooklyn Heights, it may just be because some people wouldn't want to commute to Brooklyn. The region's transportation really centers on Manhattan, and it would entail a long train-plus-subway commute for anyone coming from Westchester or New Jersey, and an hour-plus subway trip from even the closest parts of Queens or the Bronx. That said, it is also very well-served by subways and you can get there from pretty much anywhere in the city without a transfer.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:06 PM

10,363 posts, read 18,828,395 times
bottom line is this - brooklyn heights is the best brooklyn has to offer.

to the OP - go on google views and type in pineapple street, brooklyn new york. typical brooklyn heights block.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-31-2008, 04:08 PM

82 posts, read 429,475 times
Brooklyn Heights is a great area. Like others said, many subway lines run through there so it's extremely convenient. The promenade is so beautiful. It's the type of neighborhood where people know each others names and wave hello. Sure, the blocks surrounding it *could* be considered 'sketchy' but that is anywhere you go..anywhere in this country for that matter. I lived in Brooklyn Heights and I would take the subway home sometimes at 11:00pm (I'm female) and I never felt unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City