Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 05:04 PM

291 posts, read 202,081 times

Advertisements

My plans to move here are getting pretty solid. Going to find a studio for under $2500 hopefully in a decent area and then try it out for a year.

That being said, I've learned so much about the various aspects of living here, but I was curious about what kind of things I might have missed. So far I thought of the following:

How expensive is takeout? In Dallas I could get a large pizza hut pizza for $13, and some solid chinese takeout for under $20 for an entree + appetizer. Is food pricing vastly different in NYC if you're not dining in?

How difficult is shopping for groceries/goods? I heard that in some stores the lines are so long to check out that people pretty much shop from the register. Is it really that bad, and is inventory usually decent?

If you do want to eat out at a restaurant, are the wait times terrible all the time?

Are the gyms super crowded as well? How much does a decent gym membership cost?

How much do utilities and internet run typically, for a studio?

How important is your neighborhood when considering social life? Is it normal for people to travel a mile away to do something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 05:10 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,217,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
How important is your neighborhood when considering social life? Is it normal for people to travel a mile away to do something?
It's very important.

Many people, especially those in Manhattan, do not like to venture far from their neighborhood.

Many people downtown won't even want to go above 96th street.

Are there people who are willing to travel?

Sure. But there's also a good number who like to stick to where they know.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:20 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
My plans to move here are getting pretty solid. Going to find a studio for under $2500 hopefully in a decent area and then try it out for a year.

That being said, I've learned so much about the various aspects of living here, but I was curious about what kind of things I might have missed. So far I thought of the following:

How expensive is takeout? In Dallas I could get a large pizza hut pizza for $13, and some solid chinese takeout for under $20 for an entree + appetizer. Is food pricing vastly different in NYC if you're not dining in?

How difficult is shopping for groceries/goods? I heard that in some stores the lines are so long to check out that people pretty much shop from the register. Is it really that bad, and is inventory usually decent?

If you do want to eat out at a restaurant, are the wait times terrible all the time?

You want to live in Manhattan and in a prime area at that. You will pay more because of the high rents, so food will cost more, but if you are ordering from chains, it shouldn't be crazy expensive. Keep in mind, living in the South, the cost of everything is generally cheaper compared to NYC or other expensive places.

NYC offers just about anything you want. It is great for a reason, especially in terms of food. Shopping for groceries is like any other place. You can have groceries delivered or get them yourself. The lines were only insanely long during COVID. If you go at times when places aren't as busy, you can be in and out in no time. I go to a few Whole Foods markets and my checkout is done in five minutes. Use the self checkout machines.

Wait times for restaurants are like any other place. If it's very very popular, you may have to make reservations, but most places are normal.

Utilities depend on the size of your apartment and what is included. If you have to heat your apartment, then your ConEd bill will be much higher. I pay $150 - 200 a month for my place, but I have a two bedroom apartment. Meanwhile, my ex-girlfriend has a large alcove studio in Manhattan and pays $200 - 300 a month since she does not have heating included. Internet depends on which service provider you use and how fast of a speed you desire. The plan I have costs $85 before discounts, but I don't pay that. That is for the fastest internet speed. You can certainly get cheaper internet.

Gym membership depends on what you consider decent and can vary. Shop for specials where possible.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:02 PM

1,064 posts, read 545,196 times
Re: lines in grocery stores - if you shop at Trader Joes, you should be prepared for lines. Luckily Trader Joes is also prepared and they have tons of cashiers and an efficient system. But yeah, when I've shopped at prime shopping time at the Upper West Side Trader joes I have had to do my shopping while standing in a line the snakes throughout the store.

Granted I haven't in to that one in probably a year so maybe those were pandemic times that caused that. The Chelsea store lately hasn't been that bad.

Its funny though, I was in Soho the other evening and felt like it was a ghost town. It was only about 5:30 pm on a Monday and I was wondering where everyone was. Decided to walk 10 minutes over to the TJ's store on Spring St and that's where I found the crowds. Still the line moved very fast.

Old 01-27-2023, 04:39 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:

I think most people tend to coordinate their social life after work to be either close to their place of employment (and then travel home by public transportation simply later on in the evening/at night) or near where they live.

Old 01-27-2023, 04:50 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:

This is an idea to help bring all your answers together.
Wouldn't it be nice that everything you need is close by ?
Start by Locating an area of interest on the internet.
Areavibes is a wonderful place to start.
Once you found a potential neighborhood open up google maps.
Type in Pizza, Chinese food,grocery,restaurant,gym and mark those locations.
Call to find prices and check for menus or websites on line.
Try to find a rental within walking distance or a short drive.
Visit the location and and visit special interests.
Make your decision.
Best Wishes.

Old 01-27-2023, 04:57 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:

I know some people don't care about it but I think closeness to a subway stop is very important. By close I mean within a few ( less than 5) minutes walk. In one of my first NYC apartments I didn't take this into consideration and was about a 15 minute walk to the subway. It became very annoying very quickly...especially in Winter.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:57 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I know some people don't care about it but I think closeness to a subway stop is very important. By close I mean within a few ( less than 5) minutes walk. In one of my first NYC apartments I didn't take this into consideration and was about a 15 minute walk to the subway. It became very annoying very quickly...especially in Winter.
This is true but now with hybrid or remote work, this has become far less annoying. Also, since the pandemic, everything can be delivered now, from fast food to groceries. Amazon is also ridiculously efficient in NYC since they are using their own trucks instead of UPS or Fedex. You can get some of the most obscure things the next day or even sometimes the same day.

Old 01-27-2023, 09:48 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
This is true but now with hybrid or remote work, this has become far less annoying. Also, since the pandemic, everything can be delivered now, from fast food to groceries. Amazon is also ridiculously efficient in NYC since they are using their own trucks instead of UPS or Fedex. You can get some of the most obscure things the next day or even sometimes the same day.
I don't know how hybrid work or deliveries change the equation.I don't even work any more but I still use the subway almost every day....to go places and see things.

Old 01-27-2023, 09:51 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I agree with this. Also apartments near express subway stations usually have higher rents than those next to local stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City