Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 02:15 PM

215 posts, read 770,554 times

Advertisements

I was raised in Eastchester Projects in the Bronx. They call it Eastchester Gardens, but we just laugh at that.

You couldn't pay me to go back to that area today. It's just a few blocks from the corner of Gun Hill Rd and Boston rd. Not hard to find if you're looking for it.

If you do go though, make sure to make a stop at Nick's Pizza on Gun Hill Rd right next to the #5 train station. I got a slice on Wednesday and it's still the best around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 02:01 AM

8 posts, read 74,633 times
Sorry that I never posted about my trip but it was because I didn't really go ghetto exploring. I did go through Harlem and upper manhattan though while in the safety of a cab and that was when I had second thoughts about going alone into areas with large concentrations of black people.(I'm not trying to sound racist its just from where I'm from you never see that many black people) I just saw all their apartments and stuff with tons of people hanging around and I just saw how out of place I would look.

Also I didn't really have time to do that stuff I was only there a few days and I went to some yankees games and did other stuff so I just didn't really have time to do that. I did go around the neighborhood by yankee stadium but thats on game day so I wasn't scared or anything. The parts I did see weren't the rough ghettos but I didn't want to go out anywhere rough by myself cause I am just a white kid from Nebraska whos never seen something like that and I'd just be an easy target.

All you people who said that I shouldn't go were right and I didn't....I probably would have made a few quick ventures if I had more time but I really saw how out of place I would really look out there. They would have to know and just being from a place where I'm at to a place like NYC is just kind of a culture shock especially in the rougher neighborhoods. I do plan on returning to NYC sometime in my life, hopefully soon, and going to some of those areas, albeit not alone.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,968,906 times
It's a little funny to me because there's much rougher areas than the ones in NYC.. the hoods in NYC are mostly working class people trying to make ends meet.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:01 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,069,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtexBlue292 View Post
Sorry that I never posted about my trip but it was because I didn't really go ghetto exploring. I did go through Harlem and upper manhattan though while in the safety of a cab and that was when I had second thoughts about going alone into areas with large concentrations of black people.(I'm not trying to sound racist its just from where I'm from you never see that many black people) I just saw all their apartments and stuff with tons of people hanging around and I just saw how out of place I would look.

Also I didn't really have time to do that stuff I was only there a few days and I went to some yankees games and did other stuff so I just didn't really have time to do that. I did go around the neighborhood by yankee stadium but thats on game day so I wasn't scared or anything. The parts I did see weren't the rough ghettos but I didn't want to go out anywhere rough by myself cause I am just a white kid from Nebraska whos never seen something like that and I'd just be an easy target.

All you people who said that I shouldn't go were right and I didn't....I probably would have made a few quick ventures if I had more time but I really saw how out of place I would really look out there. They would have to know and just being from a place where I'm at to a place like NYC is just kind of a culture shock especially in the rougher neighborhoods. I do plan on returning to NYC sometime in my life, hopefully soon, and going to some of those areas, albeit not alone.
That's really a sad way to view our fellow Americans. You really think if you had walked around an all black area everyone would've been accosting you and harming you? Trust me from experience, it just doesn't happen that way. Dont fear people cuz they're different or poor.

Did you notice the energy and vibrancy of the hood? I love all the people out hanging out on the corners and stoops.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 AM

371 posts, read 1,103,403 times
The hood is no more in Harlem.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:23 PM

63 posts, read 234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtexBlue292 View Post
Well I'm going to NYC in a week or so.....and instead of avoiding the ghetto parts I would like to visit a few actually because I think its very interesting. I live in a nice suburban neighborhood in Nebraska and the most ghetto place I've been in is probably Kansas City's ghetto. All I see around where I live is nice suburban homes and theres really no "ghetto" area just a little run down area. So I think since I am in NYC I might as well see the rest of the world outside of just the quiet burbs.

I am only gonna visit them in the day so don't worry. I want to go to Queensbridge and walk around there cause I haven't seen the projects before......I also want to explore some of Harlem and upper manhattan as well. I also want to go to the South Bronx and see some of the urban decay. So any tips or advice for going? Any other places maybe I should see? I'm thinking one day I'm just gonna get on the train and ride around and get off on random stops just to look around. I also will plan out a few stops on points of interest. So I know some may say "don't go" but I am tired of boring quiet neighborhoods and I want to see some rough parts of the world.
Wow you actually sound very ignorant! Living in the "ghetto" is not something that people who actually live there would wish on their enemies and yet you want to go there? Just because you see it "glorified" on tv doesnt mean that it's a glamorous place to be. Dont really understand your wanting to go to the "ghetto", but if you ask me NY is one big "ghetto".

Old 08-18-2008, 06:24 PM

63 posts, read 234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
The hood is no more in Harlem.
You got that right!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:32 PM

217 posts, read 416,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiptries View Post
Just don't do it alone. Your farmboy from Nebraska vibe is going to be like a flashing neon sign. Even in daylight, do not go alone. You will crap in your pants if you walk through some of the tougher ghettos alone. Not that there will even be any real threat, but the tenants there will play with you a bit just to feel you out. Expect that.

I used to have to regularly go to one of the more "ghetto" areas to run an errand for my boss. Without fail, every single time, I'd have people saying stuff to me and feelin' me out. Sometimes more scary than others. Perfectly understandable; I was an oddball in their community. If I hadn't been a city boy with street smarts I would have read their actions and words totally differently. DON'T DO IT ALONE.
Can you or anyone else elaborate on some of the ways "people feel you out" and "test you"? I'm going to be doing some non-profit work in NYC later this year.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 PM

56 posts, read 414,617 times
if you want ghettos go to Flatbush (Flatbush Avenue south of Empire blvd take the B or Q to prospect park). East new york the most dangerous ghetto, yes more dangerous than the south bronx. Bronwsville. Crown heights you got Franklin Avenue & Utica Avenue/Eastern Parkway (both served by the 3 & 4 trains). one the worst ghettos is hunts point & Mott Haven (Bronx). if you mind your own business nobody will bother you. i hope you enjoy yourself. good luck & be safe.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM

244 posts, read 663,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I use to live in in East New York and honestly, I'm more afraid of the South Bronx then anything.
lol, yes . . don't go near the South Bronx.
I was working there about 15 years ago and they broke into
my car (smashed the window) and took my stereo in the middle of the day!

The next week, they came back and took the rear
speakers, . . again during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City