Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 12:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I don't know. Seems like I remember more projects than that when I lived in Queens but maybe they weren't projects
no one calls them projects except for aliens (not from the burnt apple)
Old school remember them technically as "run down tenaments" lol
Hey that's what they were called....
the term projects are used by other states, IMO to define the run down area
I've seen projects in the south that would make for middle class, garden homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 12:23 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Actually, that could be a viable business proposal ... a lot of ie dpeople come outta NYC PJs and rough areas and not just hip hop types. Can't even list them all ... here's a few:

Queen Latifah: Hollis, Queens
Mike Tyson: Brownsville, Bk
Jennifer Lopez: Bronx
50 Cent: Jamaica, Queens
Whoopi Goldberg: PJs in Chelsea NYC
Wayans brothers: NYC
Wayans Bros -Queens originally
Eddie Murphy- rough side of Roosevelt LI
Queen Latifah(Dana)- Orange N.J.
Whoopi Goldberg
too many to name
(these I know, and these are the places they are from

Old 05-31-2008, 07:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Some of my family members live in Marcy and we and everyone else we know refers to them as projects or by the name of the place. I am born and raised in NYC by the way.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:29 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Pretty much everyone I know that lives in the projects calls them just that, so I'm not sure what you're talking about..

Old 05-31-2008, 11:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxPride View Post
Hahahah this is so funny, I never knew the projects were so interesting. Maybe we should tell Bloomberg to promote a PJ Tour. LOL Actually you know what, it may not be a bad idea. Think about it, hip-hop fans can tour the hoods of famous rappers. What do you guys think?
i believe there is one already that goes to bronx river houses, one of the birthplaces of hip-hop and rap

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-31-2008, 01:42 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtexBlue292 View Post
Well I'm going to NYC in a week or so.....and instead of avoiding the ghetto parts I would like to visit a few actually because I think its very interesting. I live in a nice suburban neighborhood in Nebraska and the most ghetto place I've been in is probably Kansas City's ghetto. All I see around where I live is nice suburban homes and theres really no "ghetto" area just a little run down area. So I think since I am in NYC I might as well see the rest of the world outside of just the quiet burbs.

I am only gonna visit them in the day so don't worry. I want to go to Queensbridge and walk around there cause I haven't seen the projects before......I also want to explore some of Harlem and upper manhattan as well. I also want to go to the South Bronx and see some of the urban decay. So any tips or advice for going? Any other places maybe I should see? I'm thinking one day I'm just gonna get on the train and ride around and get off on random stops just to look around. I also will plan out a few stops on points of interest. So I know some may say "don't go" but I am tired of boring quiet neighborhoods and I want to see some rough parts of the world.
Don't expect to see dilapidated and boarded up buildings all over the south Bronx! Expect construction sites and a few vacant lots...the South Bronx is rising and although it is still poor with a psychological stigma of sorts attached to it, it is NOTHING like the South Bronx of the late '70s and '80s. You'll probably be disappointed.
Go to East New York/Brownsville in Brooklyn. Although these 'hoods also have much new construction and building going on.
For terrible urban blight, I'd suggest Cleveland OH or Detroit MI, not NYC.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 AM

24 posts, read 89,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Don't expect to see dilapidated and boarded up buildings all over the south Bronx! Expect construction sites and a few vacant lots...the South Bronx is rising and although it is still poor with a psychological stigma of sorts attached to it, it is NOTHING like the South Bronx of the late '70s and '80s. You'll probably be disappointed.
Go to East New York/Brownsville in Brooklyn. Although these 'hoods also have much new construction and building going on.
For terrible urban blight, I'd suggest Cleveland OH or Detroit MI, not NYC.
The South Bronx is the poorest neighborhood in the country today, has the highest violent crime rates in the city, and still has plenty of the urban blight that you claim is missing, so why would he be dissapointed? As a matter of fact, the crime in the South Bronx is quite similar to that which you would find in some the worst sections of any other cities, even those that are considered to be much more "dangerous". You act as if they are rebuilding the entire South Bronx, which is far from true. Yes, the South Bronx has cleaned up a bit since the wild days of the 70's and 80's, but there are still plenty of run down buildings, vacant lots, boarded up windows for it to be a prime example of "urban blight".

Old 06-01-2008, 02:46 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPBX View Post
The South Bronx is the poorest neighborhood in the country today, has the highest violent crime rates in the city, and still has plenty of the urban blight that you claim is missing, so why would he be dissapointed? As a matter of fact, the crime in the South Bronx is quite similar to that which you would find in some the worst sections of any other cities, even those that are considered to be much more "dangerous". You act as if they are rebuilding the entire South Bronx, which is far from true. Yes, the South Bronx has cleaned up a bit since the wild days of the 70's and 80's, but there are still plenty of run down buildings, vacant lots, boarded up windows for it to be a prime example of "urban blight".
Poorest neighborhood in the country? I seriously doubt this... the South Bronx is doing just fine. What about Gary, Indiana, or parts of Detroit?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Poorest neighborhood in the country? I seriously doubt this... the South Bronx is doing just fine. What about Gary, Indiana, or parts of Detroit?
I heard it is the poorest congressional district in the U.S

Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Yeah, that seems hard to believe. What about the folks in Appalachia, or deep in Mississippi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City