Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 11:07 PM

7 posts, read 30,557 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...

I am moving to NYC this summer to work at the Columbia Presbyterian Hospital on West 168th street. However I couldn't find any affordable daycare near the hospital or in the upper west side. I did find one in the east village and my wife wants to live there.

1) Am I just crazy to do the commute everyday?
2) Is the L train to the A or 1 train the best bet and is the L train in the morning rush hour packed to the rim and a pain to wait for?
3) Would it be worth it for me to walk across town to west 4th street to take the A or 1 train up instead of waiting for the L?
4) Is there a better way that you recommend me going?
5) Hopstop says that the commute would take around an hour... is that really possible?

Thank you for any advice, it is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaa View Post
5) Hopstop says that the commute would take around an hour... is that really possible?
Yup -- that sounds about right ...

Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
It might. Actually one of my medical school classmates did just that. He said he got a lot of studying done on the A train.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,651 times
Well, I would discourage taking the 1 since that's a local train and the A is an express train, which has a one-stop jump from 59th Street to 125th Street.

You're talking about the L train which I'm guessing means you're closer to 14th Street - so you definitely should take the L all the way to 8th Avenue/14th Street and take the A up to 168th.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:14 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Well, since no one answered the question.. I don't think you're crazy. You live where you can, and if you like it great.. if you can handle that commute, then there's no problem at all. I actually take about a 45 minute - 1 hour commute to school everyday, so I know what that's like, and if you're really committed to what you're doing, then you won't think about the time at all.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaa View Post
Hi everyone...

I am moving to NYC this summer to work at the Columbia Presbyterian Hospital on West 168th street. However I couldn't find any affordable daycare near the hospital or in the upper west side. I did find one in the east village and my wife wants to live there.

1) Am I just crazy to do the commute everyday?
2) Is the L train to the A or 1 train the best bet and is the L train in the morning rush hour packed to the rim and a pain to wait for?
3) Would it be worth it for me to walk across town to west 4th street to take the A or 1 train up instead of waiting for the L?
4) Is there a better way that you recommend me going?

Thank you for any advice, it is very much appreciated.
Honestly there are much worse commutes in the city. You are still within Manhattan. I don't think its a bad commute. L to the A is fine. Your problem will mostly be the L. I find the L to be really inconsistent at times.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM

190 posts, read 814,240 times
Well, I attended Hunter College for a while and lived in Washington Heights and the East VIllage. The commute is annoying initially but you get used to it. The L to the A is your best bet as others have said. The only problem is getting on the L in the morning because it is so packed in the morning unless you're getting on at Union Square, then you are fine.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 AM

151 posts, read 525,729 times
What's the big deal?

Most people in NYC's commute is an hour? Mine is. Hour door-to-door is totally acceptable.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:14 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
As others have said, the L will be INSANE if you try to get on during morning rush; it will be packed with folks coming from Williamsburg. However, if your hours are flexible, the A to the L is one of the easier commutes out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City