Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:30 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,567 times

Advertisements

Although Mexicans are outnumbered by Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, their numbers are growing while the latter groups are stagnant. A lot of ex-NYC Puerto Ricans are moving out to cheaper small cities in the Northeast like Reading and Allentown in Pennsylvania.

When I was at a couple bars in East Harlem talking to people everybody was from Mexico or South America. I don't think many newcomers are Puerto Rican anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 05:17 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
Yeah, i think weve taken the spot of the Jamaicans, as the hardest working people in the planet, thats why i dont get this whole backlash against the Mexicans. We want to work, well take what we can get, you wont catch us getting picky at the unemployment office [lol] In all seriousness, people should be more tolerant, towards mexicans, making like $7.00 a day at most in mexico, if you were in their situation, you would also want to provide a better life to your family, by all means necessary!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Corona, and the eastern portions of Jackson Heights & Elmhurst are where you'll find a decent amount of Mexicans, along with a lot of other Central/South American groups [Columbians, Ecuadorians, Peruvians etc.]

Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 AM

26 posts, read 92,668 times
I always thought of the Spanish Harlem as a mainly Puerto Rican (Nuyorican) neighborhood... Since when has it become Mexican?

Also, Miami has many pretty Cuban neighborhoods that are safe and some that are not so safe. It is the same as any other city. You cannot say that all Cuban neighborhoods in Miami are safe or aren't safe. But as a whole, Cubans do the best of any Latins in this country IMO. It is pretty hard to find massive communities of Latins anywhere in America that have the wealth of some of these Cuban neighborhoods in South Florida.

On another note, I have always wondered how people in NYC view "nuyoricans". Down here in Florida, Puerto Ricans DESPISE the negative image nuyoricans place on their people.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:04 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
I have a very negative opinion on Nuyoricans. But Im going to refrain from saying something because I usually catch alot of heat for this. Anyways my opinion on Nuyoricans is all over this forum.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 AM

Is that the general consensus in NYC about nuyoricans? I mean, they are very similar to African-American urban culture right? So is it just that culture that you (people, other Hispanics in particular) do not like, or the fact that they still try to sell themselves as Hispanic (having puerto rican flags, listening to raggaeton, etc.) even though most of them can't speak spanish? One more question, lol, do african-americans in NYC like them?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:20 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler445 View Post
Is that the general consensus in NYC about nuyoricans? I mean, they are very similar to African-American urban culture right? So is it just that culture that you (people, other Hispanics in particular) do not like, or the fact that they still try to sell themselves as Hispanic (having puerto rican flags, listening to raggaeton, etc.) even though most of them can't speak spanish? One more question, lol, do african-americans in NYC like them?
Yes. They are basically African American "white". They enjoy the same thing and interbreed like there's no tomorrow. The basic problems with Nuyoricans with other hispanics is

1.) There arrogance from being an US commonwealth.
2.) There willingness to take African American sides over fellow hispanics. Aswell as the intermixing and close bonding with African Americans.
3) Their lack of the spanish language.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:26 AM

yeah it's a shame that they can forget such a wonderful and unique Latin culture... It would be sad if second or third generations of other Latin countries turn to ghetto street life and forget what their parents or grandparents went through to get themselves to America in search of better lives.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler445 View Post
yeah it's a shame that they can forget such a wonderful and unique Latin culture... It would be sad if second or third generations of other Latin countries turn to ghetto street life and forget what their parents or grandparents went through to get themselves to America in search of better lives.
Correct me if I am wrong but Puerto Rico is part of the United States so the parents and grandparents are not going through anything to get to America. My family is from the South and even though I have some southern cultural traits I cannot be considered Southern. At most I would be a New York Southerner. The majority of Puerto Ricans that I know have not forsaken their culture but due to where they are raised they have embraced more than someone who has only been exposed to one culture. If that makes them wrong then that makes the majority of Americans wrong. Cultural Pride is one thing. Thinking one culture is above another is damaging.

And blending with "African-American" culture is not blending with ghetto street life but if that is what the thought is so be it.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:34 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
I disagree SuperWario,...as you cannot be unbiased as you clearly despise Nuyoricans yourself and call them "criminals through and through" so how can anyone honestly believe you provide any sort of reasonable and fair insight into Nuyoricans? Your bias is overwhelming.

The "problem" with Nuyoricans has NOTHING to do with SuperWario's claims. The concerns with Nuyricans are simple:

-They were purposely and efficiently stripped of their culture, and as a result, their rich values, morals and customs, were oftentimes replaced with the ghetto subculture, which is what you see today.
-Furthermore, the marginalization of the culture and people, often with extreme violence and profound segregation, dismantled their strong work ethic and education goals of an immigrant community and replaced it with a culture of dependence, through government programs, and a cyclical "victim" mentality that pervades every aspect of their lifestyle.
-And finally, the fleeing of not only of the whites, but also of upper and middle class PRs out of many PR communities relegated much of the Nuyorican population to the very bottom of the barrel. What you see today is not representative of the PR population, it is representative of the very poorest, and least capably Nuyoricans, those that never made it, for whatever reason.

It has nothing to do with arrogance, taking anyone's sides, "blending", or any other such silly, superficial, and anecdotal street observations of a population. If you seek middle class PR communties, you should head to many communities in Texas and Florida.,...the same way you do not go to see middle class white communities in Appalachia, you do not go to see middle class PR communities in the Bronx...at least not yet.

There are those of every group that just never "made it." And anyone that has ever traveled outside of the Metro area would see the realities of the people in this country, and the world for that matter. It is easy to get filled with animosity, and draw ludicrous assumptions when you never leave your block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City