Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Nowadays, the stuff is still regional, but not to the point where you see wackness only coming from one area. But most of the rediculous stuff is coming from Atlanta. It's who can make the most idiotic repetitive crap. It's a bunch of people making dances, rapping about drugs and bragging about those drugs or just sex. Nothing inspiring. Nothing to keep your head up. Nobody out there is creative. It's a bunch of mindless BS. I grew up listening to 90s stuff so I've basically just gave up on the new music that infests the radio out now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
No because hip hop was borne out of the unique culture of the city back in the 70's and the NY we knew is gone. Ethnic urban music is now the 'new rap music' of the city.
Yeah, nowadays Reggaeton is on top....aka spanish rap.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times
i cant stand reggaeton, they dont play that junk in the radio over here anymore!! thank god!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,277 times
Please, this corny, Humpty Dumpty, skittle sweet sing along nonsense like solja boy etc IS NOT hip hop/rap. Hip pop or pop hop - sure

NY is not reigning the scene anytime soon simply because NY rap is very lyrical while the "stuff" on the radio now is NOT. You will never hear a song like GZA's "labels" on the radio today .. ** SAD **

Who remembers The Roots "what they do" video? - I can't get over how relevant that song/video is even today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
i cant stand reggaeton, they dont play that junk in the radio over here anymore!! thank god!!!
lol the IO Digital cable commercial comes to mind lol

Old 06-05-2008, 03:42 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
I love it. Its the best thing currently on.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 PM

GZA's "labels "tommy aint my mfing boy, when u fake moves on a.... you employ" classic, classic, classic, and yeah i do remember that roots joint, it was hilarious, with the lil subtitles, and yes...it still rings true today, whats up with mims, that dude sucks, couldnt beleive, he was from the big apple!!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
even though the south seems to have everything going on you have to rember that with out new york hip hop or rap would not been born or any other music in that case.
thats a bit much. House Music was started in Chicago, so the whole with out NYC all music wouldn't exist thing is a bit much.

For the OP, hip hop is deader than dead. I listen to deep house now. Sometimes I will pop in some Wu, Rakim or Kool G. Rap.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:32 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,736 times
Papoose is hot, he just needs to put out a proper album w/ a good producer. He reps NY hard too.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
even though the south seems to have everything going on you have to rember that with out new york hip hop or rap would not been born or any other music in that case.
I didn't see this quote but I need to comment on this as well. I know the South has had it's problems this decade. But to say there would be no music without New York is incredibly false. Tell that to the Black Southerners who started Blues , Jazz, and Ragtime. W/O the formation of Blues from the delta's of Mississippi and the city of Memphis and w/o the formation of Jazz of New Orleans, there would BE no hip hip. Remember, the first big national hip hop song's beat came from a remake of an R&B classic.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
Papoose is hot, he just needs to put out a proper album w/ a good producer. He reps NY hard too.
Papoose is hot, hes like rass kass, and royce the 5'9, lyrically their beast, but they just havent found the perfect combination of production [beats] to match their lyrical ferocity. I dont know if this makes sence, but sometimes mcs is too lyrically complex 4 their own good [chino xl 4 example] Big pun, had it down to a science, he knew how to be lyrical, but still appeal to the pop audiences. Im not saying that they should make a disney pop hit [ala nelly], but by just catering to one core audience, their talent will never get exposed to the masses, and forever they shall remain only underground mcs. Luda is dope too, real witty, but even on pop hits, hell hit you upside the head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City