Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:08 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,161,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Then you really haven't been listening to the buzz at all... NYC hip hop has been making a serious comeback and is starting to get country wide fame little by little... You got members of the Slaughterhouse crew like Joell Ortiz who started in 07' with "this is hip hop" and "battle cry" in 2010 was just ridiculous... Then you had underground heads like Torae and skyzoo who finally after patiently waiting blew up last year... Check out Torae - For the record and Skyzoo has a couple of new hits out as well... Vado fell off the platform but lyrically he's still on point and he's one of the few hardcore rappers left...

And to top it all off what I think really made NYC hip hop start to come back is this new group from Brooklyn (PRO ERA)... These kids are maybe 17, 18 years old but it seems as if they're really about to take off... Their new album 1999 was a huge success in the hip hop world and it's only a matter of time before the recognition blows up on a nationwide level...

FTR, all that sell out NYC rap with asap rocky and French Montana is not representative of NYC hip hop at all...
1999 (2012) was a Joey Bada$$ mixtape (And d**n good one too!) and the whole Pro Era collective released their mixtape (Their second one I think) back on December 21st of last year, a few days before fellow P.E. member Capital S.T.E.E.Z. (RIP) took his own life. That mixtape was dope as well!!

Joey is expected to release his debut album sometime this Spring/Summer and it will most likely include his first track of 2013 on it, which is called Unorthodox (prod. DJ Premier) Yes, that Premier! And Premo might be producing a several more tracks for the album too! I really do love this kid and his Pro Era crew as well as the entire BEASTCOAST movement especially Flatbush Zombies!

Couple all of this with the resurgence of West Coast Hip Hop thanks to Kendrick Lamar and his whole Black Hippy crew, Nipsey Hussle, and Dom Kennedy and quality new Down South acts such as Big Krit, Yelawolf, B.o.B., etc. It's nice to know that most of these emcees that are around my age (20) are actually trying to bring back quality Hip Hop back into the forefront! Slowly BUT SURELY!!!!

BTW, the Hip Hop acts that I listen to the most on my smartphone are Kendrick Lamar (My most favorite new MC), Biggie (My most favorite MC), Nas, Joey Bada$$, DMX, A Tribe Called Quest (My most favorite Hip Hop group) , Mobb Deep, Jay-Z, The Fugees, Wu-Tang Clan, Redman, EPMD, Slick Rick, Kool G. Rap, GangStarr, Fabolous, Outkast, Wale, Phil Ade, LL Cool J, The Pharcyde, 2pac, KiD CuDi, Hit-Boy, Kanye West, Trina, Nicki Minaj (Mostly during her 2010 and underground days) , 50 Cent (Back in his 2003-04 days), Missy Elliott, MC Lyte, Eminem, Jay Electronica, Juvenile, Master P, Mystikal (Probably my most favorite rapper from the South), T.I., Lupe Fiasco, The Roots, Dr. Dre, Jadakiss, Eve, Lil Kim, A$AP Rocky (I know he sounds a lil too Southern at times for a Harlem rapper, but he's not THAT bad), Ludacris, Talib Kweli, and Curren$y.

Sorry for the LONG list lol~Just a lil something from a young "head" from the DMV! Peace out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,787,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
1999 (2012) was a Joey Bada$$ mixtape (And d**n good one too!) and the whole Pro Era collective released their mixtape (Their second one I think) back on December 21st of last year, a few days before fellow P.E. member Capital S.T.E.E.Z. (RIP) took his own life. That mixtape was dope as well!!

Joey is expected to release his debut album sometime this Spring/Summer and it will most likely include his first track of 2013 on it, which is called Unorthodox (prod. DJ Premier) Yes, that Premier! And Premo might be producing a several more tracks for the album too! I really do love this kid and his Pro Era crew as well as the entire BEASTCOAST movement especially Flatbush Zombies!

Couple all of this with the resurgence of West Coast Hip Hop thanks to Kendrick Lamar and his whole Black Hippy crew, Nipsey Hussle, and Dom Kennedy and quality new Down South acts such as Big Krit, Yelawolf, B.o.B., etc. It's nice to know that most of these emcees that are around my age (20) are actually trying to bring back quality Hip Hop back into the forefront! Slowly BUT SURELY!!!!

BTW, the Hip Hop acts that I listen to the most on my smartphone are Kendrick Lamar (My most favorite new MC), Biggie (My most favorite MC), Nas, Joey Bada$$, DMX, A Tribe Called Quest (My most favorite Hip Hop group) , Mobb Deep, Jay-Z, The Fugees, Wu-Tang Clan, Redman, EPMD, Slick Rick, Kool G. Rap, GangStarr, Fabolous, Outkast, Wale, Phil Ade, LL Cool J, The Pharcyde, 2pac, KiD CuDi, Hit-Boy, Kanye West, Trina, Nicki Minaj (Mostly during her 2010 and underground days) , 50 Cent (Back in his 2003-04 days), Missy Elliott, MC Lyte, Eminem, Jay Electronica, Juvenile, Master P, Mystikal (Probably my most favorite rapper from the South), T.I., Lupe Fiasco, The Roots, Dr. Dre, Jadakiss, Eve, Lil Kim, A$AP Rocky (I know he sounds a lil too Southern at times for a Harlem rapper, but he's not THAT bad), Ludacris, Talib Kweli, and Curren$y.

Sorry for the LONG list lol~Just a lil something from a young "head" from the DMV! Peace out!
Agree with most of the list... Scarface was my favorite from the South... I'll give you Asap isn't that bad but I feel like he's going in the wrong direction in terms of who he's making collabo's with... When he did that song with Flatbush Zombies I think that was one of his best songs to date... I like Flatbush Zombies at times but I feel that there's points where they either try to or outright sound too much like Tyler the Creator and I'm not a fan of his style... Based on your list, I'm pretty sure you've heard of these guys but other dudes to check out who actually held their ground during the 2000s era - Inmortal Technique, Boot Camp Clik, Jedi Mind tricks and Mos Def is still a lyrical genius and his song Leaving on a jet plane is smooth...

Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,551,613 times
hip has been **** post 2000 overall. Right now NY is number 1 though ASAP rocky I believe is name is and most of the new rappers are from NY. Albeit not all of them are popular though.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,617,739 times

50 Cent - Financial Freedom (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
you serious....lol for the record the reason he's rich is because of the stock market NOT his music.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
you serious....lol for the record the reason he's rich is because of the stock market NOT his music.
who cares rich or not, he makes good music, keeps it real still

Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
who cares rich or not, he makes good music, keeps it real still
True, but being from NY I figured you pick Nas....well no you NJ huh

Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
True, but being from NY I figured you pick Nas....well no you NJ huh
they both from ny so it dont matter where im from, i stopped likin nas after he titled his album poorly hip hop is dead jus to grab attention

Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,357,752 times
Always have. Always will. There are still many
NEW YORK rappers still holding the crown and
that's all you need.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,161,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Agree with most of the list... Scarface was my favorite from the South... I'll give you Asap isn't that bad but I feel like he's going in the wrong direction in terms of who he's making collabo's with... When he did that song with Flatbush Zombies I think that was one of his best songs to date... I like Flatbush Zombies at times but I feel that there's points where they either try to or outright sound too much like Tyler the Creator and I'm not a fan of his style... Based on your list, I'm pretty sure you've heard of these guys but other dudes to check out who actually held their ground during the 2000s era - Inmortal Technique, Boot Camp Clik, Jedi Mind tricks and Mos Def is still a lyrical genius and his song Leaving on a jet plane is smooth...
Yeah, I ahould check them out too. I also like to listen to Common, Ice Cube, Pharoahe Monch, and Tonedeff. And I just started listening to Smoke DZA as well. Dude can spit pretty well! I first listened to him when he did the "Gotham" track (That joint sounded REAL gritty in both production and lyricism and I was saddened by the ending) with Joey Bada$$. And yep, A$ap does have a tendency to be a little "all over the place" with some of his collabos sometimes but as long as most of the song holds up well, I usually don't sweat him too much. For F***kin' Problems, the only lyrics I liked on there was K.Dot's funny verse and I kinda like the beat (I like both of their production and lyrical styles since I'm a mellow and laid-back yet type of person) but the other verses I didn't care much for and I get tired of seeing 2Chainz's aka Tity Boi azz every day of the week on MTV and YouTube!!! But 1Train truly was BEAST!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City