Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:33 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdsys View Post
If your not racist why are you trying so hard to push the race card in your own comments, actually, EVERY comment! Go back and look. Every response you have had has something to do with the black man this, the white man that. We all know who you are voting for so just leave it alone, TEX, because we really do not care for your ideology. If you can't take criticism from your own comments by strangers on a web forum than do not ask them. Simple as that.

We have our way of thinking and you have yours. I am not going to pick through each and every comment because by having just a little common sense you seem to lack when it comes to things, I know what you are really saying behind your computer screen. Watch me lose sleep over some Republican who wants more Bush policy... Once again, about comparing your social situation to a person of color, you cannot and will not ever be able to compare. Simple as that. I do not even see why I come online to talk to people like yourself. I should move on. Enjoy the rest of the thread... it's all yours, TEX!

Okay, you need to go re-read this thread. Texas does not come across as racist at all. Just b/c you don't agree with someone doesn't make him racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
If your not racist why are you trying so hard to push the race card in your own comments, actually, EVERY comment! Go back and look. Every response you have had has something to do with the black man this, the white man that. We all know who you are voting for so just leave it alone, TEX, because we really do not care for your ideology. If you can't take criticism from your own comments by strangers on a web forum than do not ask them. Simple as that.

We have our way of thinking and you have yours. I am not going to pick through each and every comment because by having just a little common sense you seem to lack when it comes to things, I know what you are really saying behind your computer screen. Watch me lose sleep over some Republican who wants more Bush policy... Once again, about comparing your social situation to a person of color, you cannot and will not ever be able to compare. Simple as that. I do not even see why I come online to talk to people like yourself. I should move on. Enjoy the rest of the thread... it's all yours, TEX!
Why should he not compare his social situation to people of color, when there are large amounts of people of color all over this country that find themselves in his exact situation?

Your problem is you are so anti-Republican, you can't even comprehend what he is trying to say b/c you have decided he is "pro-Bushy" and "racist" just b/c he doesn't support Obama.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:27 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
To one of the posters above...yeah, I really got "put in my place" because someone disagreed with what I typed on a message board. Yeah, I really got told. What an idiot. As far as my thinking that my experience could be comparable to a "person of color"...yeah, it was. You thinking it isn't, and calling me naive for thinking so is your opinion, not fact. We're all entitled to our opinions, but don't call me naive because your opinion differs based on some anecdote that you just typed. The replies are yet another example of trying to act like the Republican guy from Texas just "doesn't get it" when I "get it" just fine. When posting such a response, keeping the logic consistent while making your argument would be a start.

And one more note, directed at bsdsys-you're statement that I'm a "typcial close-minded racist" is pathetic. How about you explain just what I said that is "racist." First, go to Webster.com, look up the definition of "racism" and then explain to me how anything I said was "racist." People like you that throw around the race card in any situation where race is an issue make me absolutely sick. What a pathetic thing to say.
I don't think you know what the word anecdote means do you? when I posted the jim crow laws, thats a FACT. When I spoke about a legacy of discrimination in America based on race, that is also a FACT. To point out that discrimination based on race is still a part of society today is also a FACT, not a opinion. Look up abstract thinking, I feel it will help you out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Okay, you need to go re-read this thread. Texas does not come across as racist at all. Just b/c you don't agree with someone doesn't make him racist.
I agree, I dont think he racist. Naive, ill informed? yes, but not racist.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:42 AM

109 posts, read 281,190 times
Lets start from the beginning shall we? If you can remember the first post, or not, here it is.

Quote:
With Obama seemingly going to be the Presidential nominee of the party, how do y'all feel about the process by which the nominee is selected? Specifically, the use of delegates and superdelegates who vote independent of the actual voters in the primaries. I'm just interested to hear opinions on the matter. As a Republican, a process like that would absolutely infuriate me.
This is the FIRST post. A simple question that doesn't come off as racist, or anything of the like. But, wait! Lets get to the second one. THE SECOND POST!!!!!

Quote:
Also, his tie-ins with that church seems very questionable, especially with the anti-white and anti-America rhetoric that seems to come from that camp. I'm sorry but as a white person, it absolutely infuriates me the seeming double-standard that applies with racism re: blacks and whites.
Yes, very questionable of his ethics and value system but who cares that that your a WHITE person who is infuriated by this? What, did you go through slavery yourself? I know you want to put yourself of the other side of the fence, but I really hate to brake it to you, but, you still cannot do that. It's good you overcome your hardships but they have nothing to do with your original post. I think you were hoping for supporters or something without coming out and saying it is because he is black you do not support him, when in reality it is. It doesn't take a Sociology major to grasp this simple was of thinking by people.

Quote:
I'd never vote for Obama for several reasons, his affiliation with a racist church being one of them, his inexperience being another (Cue the "but Bush was only the Governor of Texas for 6 years" reply). You'll have to excuse me if I don't appreciate seeing his wife with the wives of racist muslim extremists like Louis Farakan (sp?). He can throw out all the lofty plans he wants to in order to appeal to the idea of "Change" that he's selling, but I have a pretty good feeling that many of them won't end up coming out of the other end nearly the way he's selling them now. His minister/"spiritual advisor" being a racist extremist is a lot different than you taking different stances on some things than the Pope-come on. The man was his personal "spiritual advisor" and preaches a lot of hate, and despite that, Obama has gone to him for "spiritual advice" for years. And you're telling me that he did so while completely disagreeing with his stances on those things. Think about that for a second and realize how IRRATIONAL that is. If Obama's telling the truth about that, then it still demonstrates a serious lack of judgment. Let me just say that for someone to be my "spiritual advisor", I'd steer clear from those who preached a message directed negatively at blacks, hispanics, etc. And NO, it's not any less racist because it's directed at whites. You might consider questioning things like this as much as you did the war that you're so against. And let's not even go into the way he tries to sell that he's "black" because he isn't. He's 6.25% African American; he's more white than black, and mostly Arabic. But of course, he sells that. He's a very good speaker, but that's about it.
I think this entire post sums it up. RACE, RACE, RACE! Anyone picking up on this or are you trying to decipher things you cannot even understand? Maybe, because if that is the case, we truly have some ignorant people posting around here.

Quote:
I appreciate the above poster being generous enough to draw my conclusions for me, rather than point out his view or perception of them and let me respond. No, it's not all about race, and that's evident from previous posts I've made. But I don't like how the word "racism" is thrown around every time ANYTHING that MIGHT be perceived as negative about a black person is said, versus the free-reign that blacks seem to be allowed to have when bashing "the big bad white man." It's a ridiculous double-standard. Slavery ended 140 years ago, so that is not (and it never should have been) an excuse. As far as McCain's statement about Asians, no, that's not right either. We all have different lenses that we view our politics through, a large part of which is a product of were we're from, life experience, etc. None of us is more "right" than the other, but debates like this are healthy for us in my opinion. So just as you question things about the current administration, I question Obama's plans for "change" (which he IS NOT really clear about, despite what his website says) without any real clear plans for it. Quite frankly, there's something about the man that I don't trust. I can't put my finger on it completely, but that's just my view. I respect everyone here's view, but let's try not to jump down people's throats because the lenses we use differ.
End Quote - Just letting you know he isn't discussing the original topic just feeding the race topic.

Quote:
Of course it was a terrible thing. But it's over, and has been for a long time now. Holding onto the past and trying to "make up" for it doesn't solve anything, and doesn't help our society move on. Blacks that do this and continue to place their frustrations at the feet of whites today are doing themselves a complete disservice. Clarence Thomas is viewed as an Uncle Tom for his beliefs that blacks can achieve at the highest level on their own merits, and he's exactly right. I'm white and now about to start what is hopefully a fulfilling career as a tax attorney; however, I grew up with only a single mother and 3 sisters, as my father passed away when I was only 3. Neither my father or mother ever graduated from high school, and it was very routine to have the phone and/or lights shut off while growing up. My mother (who passed away while I was in college) drank a lot to get away from her unhappiness, and my older sister dropped out of high school, was in jail a couple of times, had her first child at 18, etc. There were AT LEAST 20 occassions where the police were called out to my home for domestic disturbances, fighting, etc. It was a very rough environment. So what did I do to get out of it? I graduated high school a full year early, and went to college, paid for through loans, grants, scholarships, and work-all of which are available to everyone with limited means like I was. I then went to law school, and just finished my Master of Laws this past month. All of this was done on my own merit, through hard work, sacrifice, and the desire for a better life. I may be white, but my background is very much in line with many, many minorities. In fact, if I told you all of that and you didn't know that I was white, you might naturally assume that I were black, hispanic, etc. The point is, their plight holds a little less power over me because I've BEEN THERE. And because I have, I KNOW that it can be done. This is the land of opportunity, and it's called that for a reason. Some people are lucky and put into situations where they can succeed rather easily; others have to pick themselves up by the bootstraps and FORCE it to happen. But it can be done, no matter what color your skin is.
Race, race, race, and some more race discussion.

Quote:
What are you talking about? The post your are responding to from Texas is in no way raciest.

You think he is racist b/c he struggled and pulled himself up out of poverty to make something of himself. He took a bad situation and through perseverance made it work and wonders why other people of any race can't do that, and that makes him racist?
I thought I would help you out because obviously you haven't read his threads and just think he is "discussing" a topic on a message board with different views than the others but I am not fool - you may be though!

Quote:
I have, and now you have even more opportunity to re-read them yourself. Please, take a moment. I know the outcome though.

Quote:
Why should he not compare his social situation to people of color, when there are large amounts of people of color all over this country that find themselves in his exact situation?

Your problem is you are so anti-Republican, you can't even comprehend what he is trying to say b/c you have decided he is "pro-Bushy" and "racist" just b/c he doesn't support Obama.
He shouldn't compare his situations to someone of another race because he cannot be thrown into the race category. He is WHITE, PEOPLE! You do remember who started slavery in this country right? White people hate everyone but white people hate minorities even more because we feel we own this country even though we stole it and they are invading it like alien life forms or something coming from Mars.

About the comment of being "so anti-Republican" - let me just say, proud to be ANTI-REPUBLICAN! Nothing is more ignorant than those people, even if they went to Yale, or Harvard.

Last edited by bsdsys; 06-09-2008 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 01:09 PM

He shouldn't compare his situations to someone of another race because he cannot be thrown into the race category. He is WHITE, PEOPLE! You do remember who started slavery in this country right? White people hate everyone but white people hate minorities even more because we feel we own this country even though we stole it and they are invading it like alien life forms or something coming from Mars.

About the comment of being "so anti-Republican" - let me just say, proud to be ANTI-REPUBLICAN! Nothing is more ignorant than those people, even if they went to Yale, or Harvard

So let me get this straight: you believe that "white people hate everyone" b/c there was once was slavery and white people feel "we own this country". And a white person growing up in poverty can not compare his childhood to someone of another race growing up in poverty b/c it's different somehow b/c he is white.

Just want to make sure I have that right. Your views are so irrational, I don't even know where to begin.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:

So let me get this straight: you believe that "white people hate everyone" b/c there was once was slavery and white people feel "we own this country". And a white person growing up in poverty can not compare his childhood to someone of another race growing up in poverty b/c it's different somehow b/c he is white.

Just want to make sure I have that right. Your views are so irrational, I don't even know where to begin.

I believe the majority of white people in this country haven't changed their view on race in general. Irrational is far from what my views are. Most white people want other people to believe they are not racist but inside they are. I am not saying everyone is racist, so let me clarify that part I said about all white people. It isn't all white people, because I am not apart of that group, but it is a very large percentage. It is a fact, not an opinion.

I went through hard times as well, and you do not see me taking every opportunity to tell people about it and then compare it to black people do you? No, because my life, my race played a big roll in things. I know this, I do not doubt it for a second, at least I am on the reality side of things unlike some people. It's like this huge propaganda commercial that white people play over and over in their lives. They truly believe they are not racist, some aren't, but most are. Try not to convince yourself McDonald's is good for you, or have you already sold yourself on that idea as well?

I also acknowledge that I could be wrong about the guy, but as I have said before - I doubt it.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I believe the majority of white people in this country haven't changed their view on race in general. Irrational is far from what my views are. Most white people want other people to believe they are not racist but inside they are. I am not saying everyone is racist, so let me clarify that part I said about all white people. It isn't all white people, because I am not apart of that group, but it is a very large percentage. It is a fact, not an opinion.

I went through hard times as well, and you do not see me taking every opportunity to tell people about it and then compare it to black people do you? No, because my life, my race played a big roll in things. I know this, I do not doubt it for a second, at least I am on the reality side of things unlike some people.

I also acknowledge that I could be wrong about the guy, but as I have hisaid before - I doubt it.

Your line of thinking is part of the problem, not the solution. You are racist against white people (even though you are white) You read a thread where a white guy is saying he had a hard time growing up but he made it, so it can be done, and you automatically assume he is "playing the race card" and he is racist.

What if he had been a black guy telling his story. You would not have thought twice about the story.

You are making mass generalizations about an entire race. Do I think racism exist? Yes. Do I think the majority of white people are raciest? No. I also believe there are just as many people of color who are racist against white people.

You say it is a fact that the majority of white people are racist. Why don't you provide some info to back that up?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Your line of thinking is part of the problem, not the solution. You are racist against white people (even though you are white) You read a thread where a white guy is saying he had a hard time growing up but he made it, so it can be done, and you automatically assume he is "playing the race card" and he is racist.

What if he had been a black guy telling his story. You would not have thought twice about the story.

You are making mass generalizations about an entire race. Do I think racism exist? Yes. Do I think the majority of white people are raciest? No. I also believe there are just as many people of color who are racist against white people.

You say it is a fact that the majority of white people are racist. Why don't you provide some info to back that up?
Wow, you really have no clue do you? Sounds like you need to get out of your sheltered little pocket of the world and walk down the streets to see whats really going on. That's my info to back up what I say. Hope you weren't expecting some Capitalist Poll with altered results! I would not hesitate to tell a black person they need to quit playing the race card... wouldn't think twice. But, to tell a black person that their situation can be the same as a white persons in this country is just ignorant. I grew up around a lot of different cultures, sounds like a lot more than yourself, and I doubt for a second you would tell a black person they shouldn't play the race card. You would probably be scared or something... more of that generalization of the masses you speak of.

Point is, racism in this country will never end. Black people shouldn't use it as a excuse to complain about their situation, even though they have very good reason to believe it is apart of their every day lives. White people shouldn't compare their messed up, now fixed lives to a black person that went through the same thing but didn't make it... it cannot be compared. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Oh, about me being racist, I know - I hate my little WHITE devil children. Darn devils! lol...

Last edited by bsdsys; 06-09-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Wow, you really have no clue do you? Sounds like you need to get out of your sheltered little pocket of the world and walk down the streets to see whats really going on. That's my info to back up what I say. Hope you weren't expecting some Capitalist Poll with altered results! I would not hesitate to tell a black person they need to quit playing the race card... wouldn't think twice. But, to tell a black person that their situation can be the same as a white persons in this country is just ignorant. I grew up around a lot of different cultures, sounds like a lot more than yourself, and I doubt for a second you would tell a black person they shouldn't play the race card. You would probably be scared or something... more of that generalization of the masses you speak of.

Point is, racism in this country will never end. Black people shouldn't use it as a excuse to complain about their situation, even though they have very good reason to believe it is apart of their every day lives. White people shouldn't compare their messed up, now fixed lives to a black person that went through the same thing but didn't make it... it cannot be compared. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Oh, about me being racist, I know - I hate my little WHITE devil children. Darn devils! lol...

You know nothing about me. But you know I am white, so you just assume I live in a "sheltered little pocket" of the world. No one on this thread has said that growing up black and growing up white in this country are exactly the same.

There is NOTHING wrong with a white person having grown up in poverty believing that because he/she made it, it's possible for someone else to also. And I believe it is. I believe a person of color can make it in this world despite growing up in a terrible environment as the OP did. Will it be easy, no. Will they have to overcome many obstacles, yes. I believe they can do it if they choose to, b/c to not believe that would be insulting to people of color.

Really, if anyone is going to be allowed to comment on growing up poor in this country, it should be someone that actually did. And any white person having grown up in that environment should be able to give their opinions without you jumping down their throat and calling them racist.

Last edited by Rudbeckia; 06-09-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-09-2008, 04:03 PM

181 posts, read 866,662 times
Rudbeckia is exactly right, and I appreciate him/her taking the time to address the UTTER RIDICULOUS position taken by bsdsys. I can't even believe that someone like him/her is even being serious, because if they are, I'm really worried about them.

Wild Style, yes I know what the word "anecdote" means. I didn't get 3 degrees and fail to catch that little number along the way. Your post questioning my understanding of it makes me wonder if it's you who actually doesn't understand what it means. Disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City