Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
Our combined income to start is over $200,000. Does the above still apply?
The "above" always applies , but two taking in $200,000, you can live quite comfortably without those work-related perks and not have to look for change in the gutter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Default What do you expect from unrealistic idiots?

“Here, if they do buy you a drink, which is rare, you have to suffer through flirtations. It’s true,” she said, adding, “It’s really cheesy.”

Women like this make all of us look bad. What a wench!

These people are just unrealistic idiots for the most part who probably believed all the 20 somethings in NYC live it up in apartments like they showed on "Friends." All I can say is too bad, so sad. When are you moving back to flyover country where the apartment complexes give you your choice of colors in carpeting and drapes?

Old 06-06-2008, 10:02 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurrMark View Post
Even a cheap condo in these parts in a crappy neighborhood is $200k...after everything is taken into consideration (mortgage, insurance, PMI, utilities, fees, etc.), you're looking at $1,500-1,800 a month...which even at 60k is about half of one's net salary.
$1800/mo. on a $200,000 condo? No way, not even with common charges, if you're talking about a $160,000 mortgage (20% down).

Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
“Here, if they do buy you a drink, which is rare, you have to suffer through flirtations. It’s true,” she said, adding, “It’s really cheesy.”

Women like this make all of us look bad. What a wench!

These people are just unrealistic idiots for the most part who probably believed all the 20 somethings in NYC live it up in apartments like they showed on "Friends." All I can say is too bad, so sad. When are you moving back to flyover country where the apartment complexes give you your choice of colors in carpeting and drapes?
Long Island IS flyover country.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
Long Island IS flyover country.
No, Manhattan is "West Long Island."

Old 06-06-2008, 04:39 PM

214 posts, read 1,004,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
No, Manhattan is "West Long Island."
Manhattan is technically an island separate from Long Island. It's Brooklyn and Queens that should be "West Long Island"!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:41 PM

82 posts, read 545,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
I'll be honest; as someone who's moving to New York from Texas to start his career in a couple of months, that article along with THIS FORUM make me feel like I should be ready to live in Hooverville and eat pork and beans every night....and I'll be making more than twice that amount to start. Sometimes I feel like some of you underestimate the cost of living in some places relative to New York City. Not so much with housing, but with some other things. For example, car insurance. I've looked at the rates in the City, and they're actually less than what I pay here in Houston, Texas. Example 2: groceries. I've seen people act like paying $6 for a six-pack of Coors/Miller/Bud Light is a lot, but that's the same price we pay down here. Obviously I haven't ever lived there, but sometimes I think that there's a little bit of misinformation going around on here. I might be wrong.
As someone who moved from NYC to Texas I can tell you that Texas is MUCH cheaper than NYC. I think people on this board try and paint as realistic a picture as they can for people who have never lived in NYC before. Sure, you will be comfortable on your salary (my husband is a lawyer as well and we both work and make good money) but things are more expensive in the city. I went back to NYC after living in Texas for almost a year and was shocked at what things cost compared to down here. But you'll like NYC more than TX..and least I did!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:46 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
they're "problems" aren't even worth writing about. that's nothing compared to the various problems of native new yorkers in some of the poorer areas of the city.
NYC has more opportunities to succeed than any place in the country, there should be very few poor native New Yorkers.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
NYC has a higher concentration of opportunities, also a higher concentration of wannabes. They cancel each other out. And for every position of so-called success (whatever that is), there is still a pyramid of support underneath, including hotel maids, day workers, messengers, busboys, nannies, etc. Whether earn more than the national poverty line is dubious, but even if they do, I doubt they take their families to Disneyworld every year.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:04 PM

120 posts, read 481,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
$1800/mo. on a $200,000 condo? No way, not even with common charges, if you're talking about a $160,000 mortgage (20% down).

Well, let's check it out...at $160k (assuming you have a 20% downpayment, which most 20-somethings don't have), you're looking at a $967 mortgage payment on today's fixed rates. Taxes on a $2,000 condo are probably $200 a month...utilities are probably $150-200...condo fees are generally in the $200 range, and insurance is probably another $50 or so. That brings you up to $1,600. If you have less of a down payment, add on extra mortgage payments and PMI.

And this is the absolute cheapest you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City