U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:11 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,725,521 times

Advertisements

Can I get some thoughts on these two schools and their MBA programs?

Which school is better in terms of recognition and also in terms of acceptance as far as GMAT scores, GPA, work experience, cost, etc.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,264,573 times
Baruch is easier to get into and cheaper than Fordham, and I believe Fordham holds a little more prestige to it, but honestly, just go to the college that you like more.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,021,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post

Which school is better in terms of recognition and also in terms of acceptance as far as GMAT scores, GPA, work experience, cost, etc.

Thanks.
both are good schools, I think the business program at baruch is held in high regard

Old 06-05-2008, 02:45 PM

9,847 posts, read 22,124,333 times
Baruch business school is actually held in higher regard and it will be much, and I mean much cheaper.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,725,521 times
How about getting in?

Old 06-05-2008, 03:04 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,021,217 times
Quote:
How about getting in?
you're on your own, both schools have standards that need to be met, one reason why they are known as decent schools

Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,767,464 times
Baruch.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 PM

3,180 posts, read 6,329,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
both are good schools, I think the business program at baruch is held in high regard
The thought of a Black prez and apv saying nice things about a CUNY school.....all in the same year!

(just jokes, bro!)

Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,815,803 times
Default What Industry Do You Want to Work In?

Quote:

Thanks.
Do you have a job first and you want to get your MBA to advance in it and your job isn't picky about where you earn the MBA? If so, you don't need to read any further. OR are you planning to get the MBA and use this degree to embark on a new (or first) career? If this is the case, please consider this:

Unfortunately, in more and more cases in this competitive and now global employment market (particularly in NYC), just having an MBA doesn't mean a heck of a lot. There are so many applicants in some fields that they further cull the herd by seriously taking into account WHERE the MBA was earned.

For instance, take investment banking. I know someone who is a headhunter at a very prestigious executive recruiting firm that staffs investment banks, high level IT, pharma, etc. They routinely throw all resumes received from candidates who attended non-Top 25 US colleges or non-prestigious foreign colleges right in the garbage can! Immediately! The only exception is if it is not someone fresh out of school, but someone with several years of experience at good firms who showed they measure up in the workforce, despite the fact that they did not attend a prestigious college. Only then do they make an exception and court the candidate who graduated from a non-prestigious school. The candidates they call first of course are the ones from the Ivy Leagues or top notch business schools like Darden UVA, etc.

So it really depends what you want to achieve with your MBA. If you are going into a competitive field, you may have to look elsewhere for your schooling. I am not kidding around here; I personally know a few people who got MBAs in Finance for example from non-prestigious universities and they couldn't get a decent job with them. They also wasted a lot of money. Don't waste yours.

Research the fields and industries you are interested in and see how competitive it is and how hard it is for a fresh graduate from a non-prestigious school to get a job first. If there are companies you are particularly interested in working for, go to their websites and see which campuses they visit to court new grads.

PS: a good website to use for career research is vault.com.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 AM

67 posts, read 331,118 times
I agree. It doesn't really matter if you already have full-time job. I'm in Fordham, mostly because it's near my apartment & my company reimburses me. Baruch is pretty good too and they have well-known professors! They're requirements for GMAT is 550+, Fordham is 570+. It's really up to you and how you do well on studies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you have a job first and you want to get your MBA to advance in it and your job isn't picky about where you earn the MBA? If so, you don't need to read any further. OR are you planning to get the MBA and use this degree to embark on a new (or first) career? If this is the case, please consider this:

Unfortunately, in more and more cases in this competitive and now global employment market (particularly in NYC), just having an MBA doesn't mean a heck of a lot. There are so many applicants in some fields that they further cull the herd by seriously taking into account WHERE the MBA was earned.

For instance, take investment banking. I know someone who is a headhunter at a very prestigious executive recruiting firm that staffs investment banks, high level IT, pharma, etc. They routinely throw all resumes received from candidates who attended non-Top 25 US colleges or non-prestigious foreign colleges right in the garbage can! Immediately! The only exception is if it is not someone fresh out of school, but someone with several years of experience at good firms who showed they measure up in the workforce, despite the fact that they did not attend a prestigious college. Only then do they make an exception and court the candidate who graduated from a non-prestigious school. The candidates they call first of course are the ones from the Ivy Leagues or top notch business schools like Darden UVA, etc.

So it really depends what you want to achieve with your MBA. If you are going into a competitive field, you may have to look elsewhere for your schooling. I am not kidding around here; I personally know a few people who got MBAs in Finance for example from non-prestigious universities and they couldn't get a decent job with them. They also wasted a lot of money. Don't waste yours.

Research the fields and industries you are interested in and see how competitive it is and how hard it is for a fresh graduate from a non-prestigious school to get a job first. If there are companies you are particularly interested in working for, go to their websites and see which campuses they visit to court new grads.

PS: a good website to use for career research is vault.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City